Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #71
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I'm all about dealing with illegals.

Its just that all the rhetoric being generated by it has lots of holes in it.
I simply don't like relying on assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #72
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post

Throughout our history, it is those who looked different that generated the most butthurting among the majority.
Fair enough, and true.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #73
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Actually scratch that.
I better go re-school myself on 19th century US before schooling anyone else.
Glad that you said it first

*EDIT* Don't stop looking until you get to the early 1920s.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 06-18-2010 at 03:29 PM..
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #74
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Glad that you said it first

*EDIT* Don't stop looking until you get to the early 1920s.
Why, you found some legislation?
Share bitch SHARE!!!!!
I don't mind being proven wrong.

(I figured 1939 was the safe cutoff year since there was the chance that they might want to control influx during the depression)

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 06-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #75
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

All of a sudden Hillary is a voice on Justice Dept issues.......

Clinton comment on immigration law riles Ariz. gov
By AMANDA LEE MYERS, Associated Press Writer Amanda Lee Myers, Associated Press Writer Fri Jun 18, 2:45 am ET

PHOENIX – Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer said Thursday she's angry over comments by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton that the Obama administration will sue the state over its new immigration law.

In a June 8 media interview in Ecuador that began circulating Thursday in the U.S., Clinton said President Barack Obama thinks the federal government should determine immigration policy and that the Justice Department "will be bringing a lawsuit against the act."

Justice spokeswoman Tracy Schmaler on Thursday declined to say whether the department would sue and that "the department continues to review the law."

The department has been looking at the law for weeks for possible civil rights violations, with an eye toward a possible court challenge.

It's unclear why Clinton made the comment since it's not her area. She couldn't be reached Thursday for comment.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said Obama and Clinton have both made it clear that the administration opposes the law.

"I will defer to the Justice Department on the legal steps that are available and where they stand on the review of the law," Crowley said. "The secretary believes that comprehensive immigration reform is a better course of action."

Brewer, a Republican, said in a statement that "this is no way to treat the people of Arizona."

"To learn of this lawsuit through an Ecuadorean interview with the secretary of state is just outrageous," she said. "If our own government intends to sue our state to prevent illegal immigration enforcement, the least it can do is inform us before it informs the citizens of another nation."

Brewer spokesman Paul Senseman said the governor was "outraged" and that Clinton's comments make it appear that the Justice Department has decided to file suit.

"But she's confident that in the end, the state of Arizona, the citizens, will prevail," he said.

On April 23, Brewer signed what is considered the toughest legislation in the nation targeting illegal immigrants. It is set to go into effect July 29 pending multiple legal challenges and the Justice Department's review.

The law requires police investigating another incident or crime to ask people about their immigration status if there's a "reasonable suspicion" they're in the country illegally. It also makes being in Arizona illegally a misdemeanor, and it prohibits seeking day-labor work along the state's streets.

The law's stated intention is to drive illegal immigrants out of Arizona and discourage them from coming in the first place. It has outraged civil rights groups, drawn criticism from Obama and led to marches and protests organized by people on both sides of the issue.

The law's backers say Congress isn't doing anything meaningful about illegal immigration, so it's the state's duty to address the issue. Critics say it will lead to racial profiling and discrimination against Hispanics, and damage ties between police and minority communities.

Brewer met with Obama in the Oval Office about the law on June 3, telling him: "We want our border secured." Obama reiterated his objections to the law. Neither side appeared to give ground although both talked about seeking a bipartisan solution.

Other Arizona politicians, political candidates and activist groups were quick to weigh in on Clinton's remarks. U.S. Senate candidate J.D. Hayworth, who is challenging Sen. John McCain, called them appalling; attorney general candidates Tom Horne and Andrew Thomas also denounced them.

Joanne Lin, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union, urged the administration to take swift action against the law.

___

Associated Press writers Jonathan J. Cooper and Jacques Billeaud in Phoenix and Matthew Lee in Washington contributed to this report.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #76
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Millions of citizens pop out bunches of retards, drive without insurance, occupy emergency rooms, send billions outside of the US, wave foreign flags on their their self appointed holidays, claim all sorts of nonsense about who the country belongs to.
As citizens that is their right. For the anchor babies of illegals, as citizens, it will be their right too. That doesn't make it the right of the illegals themselves.

Concerning the looking different thing, I'm sure that is why some people have a problem with it. That doesn't mean that is why all people have a problem with it. According to DHS estimates 57% of illegals in country came from Mexico. The next largest countries of origin are El Salvador and Guatemala at 4% each. The fact is if you are looking at an illegal immigrant odds are they are from Mexico. I think we should go after illegal immigrants regardless of their country of origin. Don't be surprised though when the majority of those captured are from the country that sends us the majority of our illegal immigrants.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #77
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Name an instance where disgust towards Irish or Italians generate laws,significant quota changes or changes in immigration policy.
Show me where any of the laws currently being discussed explicitly single out 1) anyone, regardless of immigration status or 2) illegal Mexicans. I'd really like to see the law, quota, or immigration policy that so onerously discriminates against legal immigration from Mexico, non white person countries, or even developing countries in general.

In 2008 the largest single group of naturalized US citizens came from Mexico (22.2% of total), followed by India (6.3%), and the Philippines (5.6%) while China, Cuba, and Vietnam each made up 3.8% of the total. Do those really sound like the places where we are getting all the white people who look like Americans we supposedly so desperately want? Somebody at INS must have fucked up.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #78
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
As citizens that is their right. For the anchor babies of illegals, as citizens, it will be their right too. That doesn't make it the right of the illegals themselves.

Concerning the looking different thing, I'm sure that is why some people have a problem with it. That doesn't mean that is why all people have a problem with it. According to DHS estimates 57% of illegals in country came from Mexico. The next largest countries of origin are El Salvador and Guatemala at 4% each. The fact is if you are looking at an illegal immigrant odds are they are from Mexico. I think we should go after illegal immigrants regardless of their country of origin. Don't be surprised though when the majority of those captured are from the country that sends us the majority of our illegal immigrants.
Its not a right to not pay insurance or abuse emergency rooms.
asshole

I think most people want to go after illegals. Especially legal immigrants.
the fact that they are clearly different than the majority makes it all the more fun.

Quote:
Old 06-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #79
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Show me where any of the laws currently being discussed explicitly single out 1) anyone, regardless of immigration status or 2) illegal Mexicans. I'd really like to see the law, quota, or immigration policy that so onerously discriminates against legal immigration from Mexico, non white person countries, or even developing countries in general.

In 2008 the largest single group of naturalized US citizens came from Mexico (22.2% of total), followed by India (6.3%), and the Philippines (5.6%) while China, Cuba, and Vietnam each made up 3.8% of the total. Do those really sound like the places where we are getting all the white people who look like Americans we supposedly so desperately want? Somebody at INS must have fucked up.
Listen...I called BS on the Irish\Italian "Weez just like them other oppressed people" card. Nothing more.

You telling me that I'm not allowed to nitpick?
Go f'n f yerself.
Well actually don't because thats kinda nasty and I don't need that imagery in my head.

Quote:
Old 06-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #80
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Why, you found some legislation?
Share bitch SHARE!!!!!
I don't mind being proven wrong.

(I figured 1939 was the safe cutoff year since there was the chance that they might want to control influx during the depression)
Well there's The Johnson Act, of 1921, but that's just off the top of my head.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote