Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #71
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Oh I won't argue mesh jackets at all! Especially their older stuff! It was made in the same factory as the A* mesh which is also junk imho. I have an A* mesh jacket that is super tight weave and didn't even come with a back pad! Hell, I've seen a Joe Rocket mesh jacket fall apart on impact, the armor was everywhere but on my buddy! I'll wear a mesh jacket once in a while but I don't consider them to be good protection. I put them in the better than nothing category.

As far as the armor staying in place while you're riding... are you sure you have the right size? I've never had armor move around while I was wearing it.
It is the right size. I guess I got so used to my JR that this just feels wrong. Plus, I have no neck and this has a collar that chokes me, so I leave it unzipped and tuck the collar in.

And I'll fight you on JR mesh for crashability. Both the hubby and I have slide down the road in these and they held up very well.
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #72
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
I don't really care for Icon but did buy one of their products the other night and so far so good...very comfortable and lightweight but still offers decent protection.

I bought the Accelerator boots that I posted about in another thread the other day to wear for shorter rides that I will be off the bike for awhile and will be standing/walking around and don't want to wear my squeaky azz A* boots.

For the longer rides and the higher spirited rides I will wear my A* SMX 4 boots.

They have an "Air" version of that boot that is getting pretty rave reviews.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #73
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
It is the right size. I guess I got so used to my JR that this just feels wrong. Plus, I have no neck and this has a collar that chokes me, so I leave it unzipped and tuck the collar in.

And I'll fight you on JR mesh for crashability. Both the hubby and I have slide down the road in these and they held up very well.

Oh yea? Well, how did your jeans hold up? If they also did "very well" then allow me to introduce you to Krabill and Kaneman. I'm not saying that they offer zero protection, I'm saying it's not bet your ass protection. Question, if you had good success with the JR stuff why'd you change? Just curious.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #74
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Oh yea? Well, how did your jeans hold up? If they also did "very well" then allow me to introduce you to Krabill and Kaneman. I'm not saying that they offer zero protection, I'm saying it's not bet your ass protection. Question, if you had good success with the JR stuff why'd you change? Just curious.
You're talking to a woman, I can change mind anytime I want to.

Truth is the Icon Battlecry was just cooler than hell. Had to have it.

Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #75
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
They have an "Air" version of that boot that is getting pretty rave reviews.
Yeah the Tarmac or something like that ? They were the same price but I haven't seen any in person and the local Cyclegear had the Accelerants in stock so I could try them on. I'm glad I did because the size I bought isn't the same size of anyelse I've ordered and I would have had to send them back and exchange them.

Cyclegear matched the price that I had seen online so I got them.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #76
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Hey I'll give you that! I had a Vanson Star jacket and I went down HARD! Other than some scrapes, it held up awesome but for $600+ dollars...
whats your skin and piece of mind worth ?

Quote:
I also agree that you can't ever exactly compare two crashes, so I concede that but I appreciate the fact that you recognize my point about overlay vs seams. BTW it goes without saying then that just because you saw one crash with some breaking an ankle wearing "similar" boots doesn't mean that these will also cause a broken ankle...aha!
overlay vs seams.....overlay sounds like it makes more sense, but then are so many dynamics in a crash. i'll take crash tested vs makes sense.

how are your riding boots made? w/ a high heel or low? whats it easier for women to walk in sandals or high heels, now add in an emergancy stop and having to plant your foot, and those boots are disaster waiting to happen. i'm of the better safe then sorry addage.

Quote:
I also agree that there are vast differences in mesh jackets as well but I'll take Icon's armor over that BMW (Heine Gerick?) armor. Icon uses a proprietary dual density-two stage armor while most others use off the shelf single stage armor. It's funny a BMW guy wants to compare a $400+ jacket to a $150 jacket and claim superiority. Take a look in that jacket and tell me if it doesn't say "Made in China" on the inside. Also, Icon has God on their side because they put a St. Christopher's medallion in every jacket!
dunno who makes BMW gear/armor, my guess it's BMW. it does meet CE standards, does ICON ( i don't know.)

your skin your $, i'm not lookin to cheap out my gear. but thats me.

no made in china tag that i can find, no "made in" anywhere at a quick glance.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #77
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I'd reallly love a custom Vanson suit. And I own a pair of Icon gloves. I've had them for 3 seasons now. The build quality is not great. Velcro came unstitched from the wrist cuff. And they aren't terribly comfortable. But I will say this, they held up great in my get-off. No complaints about that. No busted seams and no spots where the leather wore through. So I can't fault their crashing ability.

These are what I have, Merc Long:

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #78
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
whats your skin and piece of mind worth ?

overlay vs seams.....overlay sounds like it makes more sense, but then are so many dynamics in a crash. i'll take crash tested vs makes sense.

how are your riding boots made? w/ a high heel or low? whats it easier for women to walk in sandals or high heels, now add in an emergancy stop and having to plant your foot, and those boots are disaster waiting to happen. i'm of the better safe then sorry addage.

dunno who makes BMW gear/armor, my guess it's BMW. it does meet CE standards, does ICON ( i don't know.)

your skin your $, i'm not lookin to cheap out my gear. but thats me.

no made in china tag that i can find, no "made in" anywhere at a quick glance.

Hahaha well, I posted the boots as a joke at first (not this again!) but came to Icon's defense when all of their gear was termed as junk! There is no way that BMW has a motorcycle gear factory bro, anymore than they make their own hats, headlights, tires, brakes, etc. I'm on hold with BMW (1 800 831 1117) right now, apparently they don't know where it's made either! Oh I just got an answer. They do outsource to "several" different countries and companies.

BTW I think even you have to agree it's unfair of you to judge Icon when you yourself admits to knowing basically nothing about their products.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 06-25-2009 at 12:18 PM..
Old 06-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #79
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I'd reallly love a custom Vanson suit. And I own a pair of Icon gloves. I've had them for 3 seasons now. The build quality is not great. Velcro came unstitched from the wrist cuff. And they aren't terribly comfortable. But I will say this, they held up great in my get-off. No complaints about that. No busted seams and no spots where the leather wore through. So I can't fault their crashing ability.

These are what I have, Merc Long:

Yep I have a pair of those (short cuff $60) I wear with my Accelerant jacket. I had a strap break but they gave me new gloves. For the record, and we've had this fight before, I've also had Technic gloves fall apart (Technic said fuck you) and *GASP* a seam on a pair of $200 A* Gp Tech gloves fell apart after a couple months (btw A* was happy to replace them). I've also had very good results with their gloves in crashes.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #80
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Yep I have a pair of those (short cuff $60) I wear with my Accelerant jacket. I had a strap break but they gave me new gloves. For the record, and we've had this fight before, I've also had Technic gloves fall apart (Technic said fuck you) and *GASP* a seam on a pair of $200 A* Gp Tech gloves fell apart after a couple months (btw A* was happy to replace them). I've also had very good results with their gloves in crashes.
I've got Teknic leathers, held up in that same crash equally well.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote