Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #61
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
We arent attacking anyone who bought an auto sports car, or calling them nasty names like you have done to us, we are just lamenting what we feel is a wrong choice. You are the one attacking and being a douche.
Eh, "lamenting" someone's "wrong" choice for buying a "shameful" version of an automobile they apparently have "no appreciation for"...

That's pretty much calling anyone who chooses a muscle car with an auto a douche. Maybe not in so many words, but still...

You can talk about how you don't understand the choice, without belittling it. And as a bonus, you can even stay on that high horse that way.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #62
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Since the mid 70s, yes...as I said before. 68-72 Chevrolet performance cars seem to have come equipped with stickshifts in far greater numbers than Ford or Mopar cars of the same era, however.

I'd be willing to bet that much is even still the case. Go run the numbers on eBay for the new Mustang, and I'll bet it's far worse than 2:1 in favor of complete automotive gayness.
Disagree. During the 80's Chevy wouldn't give you a stick shift with the 350. They'd only give it with the 305. Ghey. Meanwhile, Mustangs have always had stick shifts available with the top engines.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #63
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I owned a 4 cylinder piece of crap auto civic for a long time. It was functional, got me from A to B, and got great gas mileage because of my long 50+ mile commute. The truck I own now is auto 4 cylinder. I don't need a stick truck or a MONSTER engine. I don't carry any load or use the truck in a manner that would require more. I buy automobiles that are functional in a price range I can buy without needing a loan. Plus, I don't have to prove my dick is big or that I am "cool."
If you don't carry a big load with your truck, why bother getting an auto? An auto truck is good for hauling heavy loads.......If you're not doing that, why not get a manual?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #64
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
My first car was manual, the truck I owned the longest was also a manual. I can drive a stick. Oh, and I can flat out beat the shit out of you on a motorcycle as well. Does it mean I am better than you? Fuck no. Does it mean anything? Fuck no.

I owned a 4 cylinder piece of crap auto civic for a long time. It was functional, got me from A to B, and got great gas mileage because of my long 50+ mile commute. The truck I own now is auto 4 cylinder. I don't need a stick truck or a MONSTER engine. I don't carry any load or use the truck in a manner that would require more. I buy automobiles that are functional in a price range I can buy without needing a loan. Plus, I don't have to prove my dick is big or that I am "cool."
I'll be honest Trip, for me, none of this is a penis extension, or to make me "cool". I just hate driving underpowered cars (got into musclecars early), and hate the lack of control you have in an automatic.

I used to think this lack of control was just when *I* was at the controls.

An Ex-GF from Brazil had a Honda Fit. I always felt rather unsafe in it. She had a slushbox in it. Took it to the dealer for service one day, and the dealer gave us a lift home in the shop vehicle; another Fit, this one with a stick.

Mind you, the guy drove like a nut, but I was still totally comfortable in the car, and it didn't feel like it was careening out of control, as I had felt with the auto-equipped car.

The lack of control was actually palpable from the passenger seat for me.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #65
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
If you don't carry a big load with your truck, why bother getting an auto? An auto truck is good for hauling heavy loads.......If you're not doing that, why not get a manual?
functional, I also use it for commuting. Auto is one less thing I have to deal with in the car.

Quote:
I'll be honest Trip, for me, none of this is a penis extension, or to make me "cool". I just hate driving underpowered cars (got into musclecars early), and hate the lack of control you have in an automatic.

I used to think this lack of control was just when *I* was at the controls.

An Ex-GF from Brazil had a Honda Fit. I always felt rather unsafe in it. She had a slushbox in it. Took it to the dealer for service one day, and the dealer gave us a lift home in the shop vehicle; another Fit, this one with a stick.

Mind you, the guy drove like a nut, but I was still totally comfortable in the car, and it didn't feel like it was careening out of control, as I had felt with the auto-equipped car.

The lack of control was actually palpable from the passenger seat for me.
Unsafe and you ride a motorcycle, makes sense.... Most muscle cars have never been the most "controllable" cars either. So that blows that out of the water. You can get a little miata go cart that will corner on rails though.

Power is all about penis extension and being cool. If you just wanted to get from A to B safely, efficiently, and reliably; there is much more options for that in the lack of power department. Much more reasonably priced as well. You can argue against it all you want, but it will always be an image thing.

Last edited by Trip; 06-14-2011 at 01:26 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #66
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Quote:
Unsafe and you ride a motorcycle, makes sense....
But I wouldn't ride an automatic motorcycle...that's just craziness, right there.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #67
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Quote:
You can get a little miata go cart that will corner on rails though.
Yeah man, but that's really not the same thing as being able to steer with the throttle...and for me, that's the magic that makes it worthwhile.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #68
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
But I wouldn't ride an automatic motorcycle...that's just craziness, right there.

I have ridden the Aprilia Mana, it wasn't that bad. The semi auto CRF50s are pretty controllable too.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #69
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Yeah man, but that's really not the same thing as being able to steer with the throttle...and for me, that's the magic that makes it worthwhile.
So do you regularly drive around the streets of New Jersey like that?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #70
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Power is all about penis extension and being cool. If you just wanted to get from A to B safely, efficiently, and reliably; there is much more options for that in the lack of power department. Much more reasonably priced as well. You can argue against it all you want, but it will always be an image thing.
Is an opinion.....as is "people who drive neutered performance cars are cock gobbling little girly men."

Apparently expressing YOUR opinion is ok....and it's not ok for anyone else. Nice god-complex you've got going there....you're board, and all...but that's honestly full of shit.

In any event, you are overlooking the most important part of a driving a powerful car.....it's FUN.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote