Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #61
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I use my phone for everything except calls. I hate phone calls with a passion. I don't even have a land line at home.

To me, a phone call is nothing but an interruption. If my phone rings, the person on the other end had better be fucking dying, or I don't want to hear what they have to say.

When my phone rings, I'm almost always in the middle of something else. Stopping what I'm doing to answer their stupid phone call just pisses me off.

Email and texts, I can read at my leisure, when it's convenient for me.
I dont have a land line either.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #62
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I dont have a land line either.
no point in having one anymore, we just havent gotten around to discontinuing ours
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #63
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I use my phone for everything except calls. I hate phone calls with a passion. I don't even have a land line at home.

To me, a phone call is nothing but an interruption. If my phone rings, the person on the other end had better be fucking dying, or I don't want to hear what they have to say.

When my phone rings, I'm almost always in the middle of something else. Stopping what I'm doing to answer their stupid phone call just pisses me off.

Email and texts, I can read at my leisure, when it's convenient for me.

This.

While I've always been a sucker for gadgets and toys anyway, my Nexus One has paid for itself many times over. Turn-by-turn navigation = never having to pay to update my Garmin maps ever again, and I can pull that up in any car - my POV, a GSA, or even a HMMWV (I'm talking stateside here, we don't usually have BlueForce Tracker), and being able to accurately look up businesses on the fly. Calendar that syncs to my Google calendar = critical to helping me remember appointments (because even at 27, I suffer from pretty serious CRS). And I just REALLY hate talking to people over the phone, because I cannot listen to what a person is saying while trying to multitask on something else - I will either screw up whatever I am working on, or not hear everything the person says.

That is just how my brain operates, though. I can appreciate the preference for simplicity over the "ooo shiny".

That being said.. AMJ - my phone has two mics - one for the user's voice, and another to pick up and neutralize background noise. Helps a bunch with the sound quality on both ends of the conversation.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #64
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

I don't have any strong feelings about smart phones or smart phone users. My wife has a smart phone and loves it.* Personally, my fingers are too fat for phone touch screens.

What annoys me is the fact that smart phone popularity has severely limited my choice of flip / normal phones. I've used LG phones since my first cell phone**, with the exception of my bare-bones Afghanistan Nokia. My last flip phone recently broke at the hinge, and while the phone still worked great I was obliged to replace it so I wasn't stuck one day with two pieces of a used-to-flip phone. When I went to the website to pick my new free flip phone, there were none. They had flip phones, sure, but no LG flip phones that were free with a renewed contract. They barely had any flip phones at all, the smart phones easily outnumbered all the others. Of course, none of them were free with a new contract and all of them required buying a $15/month data plan. You expect me to not only pay for a phone, but pay a monthly extra for a phone that I barely even use for actual phone calls? Fuck that.

*Which I guess means I have strong feelings about at least one smart phone user...

**Finally broke down and got my first cell phone in 2001, at my parents' insistence that I have a way to call during my frequent road trips. Not only was it free, I got a $20 rebate with it. Sprint actually paid me $20 to take their phone. Of course, they got their money back over the next two years, I'm sure...

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #65
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I don't have any strong feelings about smart phones or smart phone users. My wife has a smart phone and loves it.* Personally, my fingers are too fat for phone touch screens.

What annoys me is the fact that smart phone popularity has severely limited my choice of flip / normal phones. I've used LG phones since my first cell phone**, with the exception of my bare-bones Afghanistan Nokia. My last flip phone recently broke at the hinge, and while the phone still worked great I was obliged to replace it so I wasn't stuck one day with two pieces of a used-to-flip phone. When I went to the website to pick my new free flip phone, there were none. They had flip phones, sure, but no LG flip phones that were free with a renewed contract. They barely had any flip phones at all, the smart phones easily outnumbered all the others. Of course, none of them were free with a new contract and all of them required buying a $15/month data plan. You expect me to not only pay for a phone, but pay a monthly extra for a phone that I barely even use for actual phone calls? Fuck that.

*Which I guess means I have strong feelings about at least one smart phone user...

**Finally broke down and got my first cell phone in 2001, at my parents' insistence that I have a way to call during my frequent road trips. Not only was it free, I got a $20 rebate with it. Sprint actually paid me $20 to take their phone. Of course, they got their money back over the next two years, I'm sure...

Pretty much the same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #66
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Pretty much the same here
You have strong feelings for fatbuck's wife?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.

Last edited by Particle Man; 04-29-2011 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: d'oh
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #67
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
You have strong feelings for fatbuck's wife? :eeks:

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #68
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:

I recall seeing several flip phones in the pre-paid section at the stores; maybe that's an option? Especially if you don't use too many minutes per month.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #69
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
You have strong feelings for fatbuck's wife?
Hmmm...good question

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #70
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Hmmm...good question

no

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote