Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #61
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
i know alot of HS kids who's AP classes counted as college level. they had so many they finished college in 2 yrs.
And, in Texas students get two free courses per year through the community college system. Jordan is doing that right now with her AP classes. She came to us last year with a plan to graduate a year early, Evan and I opposed it. BE A KID. There will be plenty of time to go to college and to be successful.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #62
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Here's an important question that nobody seems to have asked..

Did being in the "gifted" class help you in any way whatsoever?
It helped me stay more interested. I got to take classes that werent available to the general population, like high school classes in middle school which allowed me to do college/AP classes in HS. Teachers were also free to "experiment" with classes that might not work in a regular school. In PE we got to play sports like golf and team handball, we had elecitive classes like Japanese and investing. I was able to take evening classes that counted towards HS credits like photography and desktop publishing.

I think it was great for the students who were able to do it, but it sucks for the rest of the school system who had their best/most creative teachers taken out of regular schools to teach the kids who could probably have learned from anyone.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #63
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Nope, NO school district in Texas is the top of anything in the nation in regards to education. Not in public school anyway. They can spin reports and test grades at you all they want......

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Where did I say anything about cheerleading and athletics? I said, let her be a kid with kids her age. It is your job as parents to supliment her education as you see fit to have her at the education level you believe to be right. If she is WELL beyond those in her age - move her up. But, socialization is really important, don't ever discount that aspect of education. It is NOT about what is in the book...
Word.

As for everyone saying "let kids be kids"........Let's say you let them skip K, how are you going to ensure that they take advantage of that free time and grow from it? If they are not in school how are you going to get them socialized? Going over to the neighbors house every night isn't enough IMO.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #64
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

Word.

As for everyone saying "let kids be kids"........Let's say you let them skip K, how are you going to ensure that they take advantage of that free time and grow from it? If they are not in school how are you going to get them socialized? Going over to the neighbors house every night isn't enough IMO.
I think the people saying let kids be kids are saying not to skip kindergarten.