Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #51
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Yep. Windows Blue (next release due later this year) is supposedly going to have a way to turn off the tiles and use the OS like a traditional Windows desktop when desired by the user.

I personally hate Windows 8 on PCs but think it's great on tablets and phones. My Surface is really slick and my Nokia Lumia 920 as well. I'm going to try using it as my daily phone for a while to see how I like it. Right now I have to get used to what I feel is odd button placement on the Lumia and also there's a few apps Windows doesn't have which would make my life a little less convenient. I'm hoping they will find their way to Windows 8 phone OS soon.
I have a 920 too........Great camera, great screen, but heavy........the new 928 on Verizon is supposed to be lighter.

Oh and the Bing button is dumb.....wish I could deactivate it.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #52
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I have a 920 too........Great camera, great screen, but heavy........the new 928 on Verizon is supposed to be lighter.

Oh and the Bing button is dumb.....wish I could deactivate it.
What's the Bing button? As for weight, 4.94 oz for my current iPhone 4s, 6.5 oz for the Lumia 920. I can't tell too much difference in my hand and considering the added real estate it seems reasonable.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #53
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

I bought a small touch screen laptop a few weeks ago with Windows 8. I took me a few days to figure out some things like how to quit a tile app and how to stop some apps like Chrome from going full screen but now its just like Windows 7 without the Start menu, I dont even see the tile interface unless I bring it up on purpose.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #54
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
What's the Bing button? As for weight, 4.94 oz for my current iPhone 4s, 6.5 oz for the Lumia 920. I can't tell too much difference in my hand and considering the added real estate it seems reasonable.
The search button on the bottom.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #55
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

My wife recently got a new laptop with Windows 8 on it. All I can say is "Wow, why does Microsoft hate its customers?" No multitasking? Are you shitting me? Laptops and desktops are not tablets. Why in the hell would you try to treat them as such?

I'm buying a copy of Windows 7. When it comes time to trade up on my computer, if I have to buy Windows 8 it's coming right the fuck off that machine and Windows 7 is going on.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #56
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
No multitasking? Are you shitting me?
Win8 still multi-tasks - I can't think of any OS today that doesn't. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are getting at?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #57
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
The search button on the bottom.
Oh the button on the glass itself? Why do you think it's dumb? It's the same as swiping all the way left or clicking the home button on the home screen on an iPhone to activate the spotlight search (or whatever it's called).
Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #58
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Win8 still multi-tasks - I can't think of any OS today that doesn't. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are getting at?
When my wife opens IE, for instance. It seems to act like a phone app, where you can't just minimize and maximize windows to scroll through active programs. When we were on Skype with her mother trying to plan a cabin rental, we could Skype or we could surf the internet. But we couldn't do both. Maybe I didn't understand what I was seeing.

That said, I know for certain that while proponents of Windows 8 are quick to point out that it has the same functionality as previous Windows programs, you damn sure have to hunt for it. Over and over. Why would you make your customers solve a puzzle just to use functions they've been using for decades?

It's supposed to work interchangeably for tablets and PC's. Great concept. But if the military taught me one thing, it's that modular design ends up costing more in money, time, and effort, in the long run. Just ask the beautiful minds responsible for the Army's ACU's, or the JSF.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #59
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Oh the button on the glass itself? Why do you think it's dumb?
Because first, I don't like Bing, so it's a wasted button...........And second, it's too easy to accidentally hit while playing games, or even just when you're holding the phone normally. The heel of my hand often grazes it while I'm stretching my right thumb to do something.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #60
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Because first, I don't like Bing, so it's a wasted button...........And second, it's too easy to accidentally hit while playing games, or even just when you're holding the phone normally. The heel of my hand often grazes it while I'm stretching my right thumb to do something.
I've not used mine anywhere near as much as you but in the few weeks I've had it I've not done that accidentally once. Time will tell.