Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #51
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Thank you GI Bill! Enjoy your student loans.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #52
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
Thank you GI Bill! Enjoy your student loans.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #53
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/di...testimony.html

Quote:
Mike Rowe, creator of the TV show "Dirty Jobs," testified before the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation on the de-skilling of America, and the way in which skilled manual labor has been undervalued and derided in the USA to its detriment:

"A few months ago in Atlanta I ran into Tom Vilsack, our Secretary of Agriculture. Tom told me about a governor who was unable to move forward on the construction of a power plant. The reason was telling. It wasn't a lack of funds. It wasn't a lack of support. It was a lack of qualified welders.
In high schools, the vocational arts have all but vanished. We've elevated the importance of "higher education" to such a lofty perch that all other forms of knowledge are now labeled "alternative." Millions of parents and kids see apprenticeships and on-the-job-training opportunities as "vocational consolation prizes," best suited for those not cut out for a four-year degree. And still, we talk about millions of "shovel ready" jobs for a society that doesn't encourage people to pick up a shovel.

In a hundred different ways, we have slowly marginalized an entire category of critical professions, reshaping our expectations of a "good job" into something that no longer looks like work. A few years from now, an hour with a good plumber -- if you can find one -- is going to cost more than an hour with a good psychiatrist. At which point we'll all be in need of both.

I came here today because guys like my grandfather are no less important to civilized life than they were 50 years ago. Maybe they're in short supply because we don't acknowledge them they way we used to. We leave our check on the kitchen counter, and hope the work gets done. That needs to change."

Old 05-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #54
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Good points, after working on the jobsites the last few years, I see some of these tradesmen make some damn good money, when theyre working. Theyre not always guaranteed steady work, and theres all the political union BS to deal with too.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote