Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #51
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
First, no you are not going to magically change your body in 2.5 months. Saying you couldn't walk two minutes is highly exagerating, you just didn't want to go any farther. I was speaking of loosing weight and being able to do long distance runs in 2.5 months, not brisk walk pace 13 miles.
When's the last time you set a goal to improve your endurance by more than 10 fold in 15 weeks and achieved it. Talk to me when you have.

When I started running, I ran for 2 minutes, walked for 1. I could barely finish a mile even doing intervals - that's no exageration. Physically AND mentally. And running for more than 2 minutes took several weeks of training 6 days a week.
15 weeks later I completed 13.1 miles running the entire time and finishing in under 3 hours. I finished ahead of more than 30% of the runners who showed up for the finish line. I finished ahead of 100% of the runners who didn't show up.
My times aren't fast - but I set and achieved my goal. Not your goal. But I don't know you and you dont' know me.

Go race Rossi on the track. What's your goal? do your best, don't crash, and finish or finish ahead of him? And that's just on a motorcycle - not pushing your body past it's current limits.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #52
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

I beg to differ on the motorcycle part.. I have ran in the past - 10 miles a day to train for 200m sprints, etc. and I have rode a bike on the track and roads like the dragon... I would say riding a motorcycle at high performance takes far more physical conditioning to do it well then running.. Track days, good roads and racing will definitely push your body far past your limits on a motorcycle..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #53
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

...and it's way easier on the nips.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #54
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
I beg to differ on the motorcycle part.. I have ran in the past - 10 miles a day to train for 200m sprints, etc. and I have rode a bike on the track and roads like the dragon... I would say riding a motorcycle at high performance takes far more physical conditioning to do it well then running.. Track days, good roads and racing will definitely push your body far past your limits on a motorcycle..
I beg to differ on this. I'm not saying that track days aren't physical, they definitely are and I can feel it at the end of the day but it is a different work out than running so it is kind of like comparing apples to oranges.

To me a track day is a mix of endurance like running, but also muscle strength like lifting. I don't get the lactic acid build up when I run but I do when I'm at a track day and pushing hard.

We are all at different levels mentally and physically, what is hard for me is improbable for someone else and what is easier to me is a challenge for another. I'm dealing with this right now at work with a program we have. It's not a challenge for me but is for others, so I have to try and make it harder for myself but not so hard the others quit.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #55
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
I beg to differ on this. I'm not saying that track days aren't physical, they definitely are and I can feel it at the end of the day but it is a different work out than running so it is kind of like comparing apples to oranges.

To me a track day is a mix of endurance like running, but also muscle strength like lifting. I don't get the lactic acid build up when I run but I do when I'm at a track day and pushing hard.

We are all at different levels mentally and physically, what is hard for me is improbable for someone else and what is easier to me is a challenge for another. I'm dealing with this right now at work with a program we have. It's not a challenge for me but is for others, so I have to try and make it harder for myself but not so hard the others quit.
I think you nailed it - different for each person.. Personally for me it would be easier to run 20 miles then it is to do a track day.. I was just more focusing on the fact that LL was saying racing a motorcycle doesn't push your body past its current limits.. And yes great point mental has a lot to do with it.. A key part of my work out is meditation.. For me if I can clear my mind of everything I get more out of the work out.. And before I ride I try to do the same.. I ride the best when I am in the zone meaning focused solely on riding and nothing else exists.. especially at the track.. don't care if the house is burning down because I left the oven on or whatever.. its me, the bike and the track.. so yes mental is a key part to just about everything..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #56
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
How long is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
13.something miles.

umm....ok you may need to check your digits, bud. A marathon is 26 miles and some change. you must be thinkin of a half marathon @ 13.somthin miles

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #57
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post

umm....ok you may need to check your digits, bud. A marathon is 26 miles and some change. you must be thinkin of a half marathon @ 13.somthin miles
you may need to check the first post he says Half Marathon

and Marathon= 26.2
half marathon= 13.1
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #58
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
you may need to check the first post he says Half Marathon

and Marathon= 26.2
half marathon= 13.1
Exactly and exactly lol. I tried to give the exact distance somewhere earlier in this thread. At some point it will catch on.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #59
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
When's the last time you set a goal to improve your endurance by more than 10 fold in 15 weeks and achieved it. Talk to me when you have.....
Probably never because I was always active. Increasing anything 10 fold means you didn't do squat for years and can most likely have sharp newbie gains. I see the same thing with people lifting weights and gaining some weight.

Quote:
...When I started running, I ran for 2 minutes, walked for 1. I could barely finish a mile even doing intervals - that's no exageration. Physically AND mentally. And running for more than 2 minutes took several weeks of training 6 days a week.
15 weeks later I completed 13.1 miles running the entire time and finishing in under 3 hours. I finished ahead of more than 30% of the runners who showed up for the finish line. I finished ahead of 100% of the runners who didn't show up.
My times aren't fast - but I set and achieved my goal. Not your goal. But I don't know you and you dont' know me.....
Your gains are pretty typical for someone who didn't run in the past and might be heavier. I'm not seeing the point.

Quote:
...Go race Rossi on the track. What's your goal? do your best, don't crash, and finish or finish ahead of him? And that's just on a motorcycle - not pushing your body past it's current limits.
See that is the point. I'm not going to go race any racer on the track because I don't train for it. Same for going out and running 13 miles if I never trained for it.

I have goals to gain 10-20lbs on the deadlift, 10lbs on flat bench and 10lbs on squat for a max set of three over a 6 week period. Attainable goals that I can keep progressing over future training intervals.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #60
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

So you still running Drewpy?

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225