Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #51
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Hell, I just use the filter pitcher because our tap water tastes lakey most of the time.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #52
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Hmm, no drugs in the water huh..... You guys can read the article if you want, this is one of many: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n3920454.shtml
As G-rex said "Are they there in trace amounts that are so minute that they don't register in samplings tests? Sure". Your article talks about concentrations of pharmaceuticals in the parts per billion or even trillion. Look at the list I have linked to below from the EPA. They make it completely legal to have higher concentrations of Benzene, Ethylbenzene, Styrene, Toluene, and a bunch of other shit I haven't even heard of that will fuck you up. This is what you should be worried about, not minute concentrations of drugs that have been designed for human consumption.

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/contaminants/index.html
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #53
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
As G-rex said "Are they there in trace amounts that are so minute that they don't register in samplings tests? Sure". Your article talks about concentrations of pharmaceuticals in the parts per billion or even trillion. Look at the list I have linked to below from the EPA. They make it completely legal to have higher concentrations of Benzene, Ethylbenzene, Styrene, Toluene, and a bunch of other shit I haven't even heard of that will fuck you up. This is what you should be worried about, not minute concentrations of drugs that have been designed for human consumption.

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/contaminants/index.html
Except they DID register in samplings tests, did you read the article? And as for whether they are worth worrying about, the verdict isn't in yet, but many scientists are concerned..... I think I'll listen to them rather than a motorcycle board or a utility company.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #54
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
I think I'll listen to them rather than a motorcycle board or a utility company.
I hear ya, you couldn't PAY me to drink our tap water on a regular basis. Gross.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #55
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Is this the thing where it's blue jugs that you put upside down into a dispenser? Do you go pick it up, or get it delivered?
Yes the jug is blue and they do put it upside down to rinse it out, but I go there and fill it up myself.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #56
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Except they DID register in samplings tests, did you read the article? And as for whether they are worth worrying about, the verdict isn't in yet, but many scientists are concerned..... I think I'll listen to them rather than a motorcycle board or a utility company.
I read the article and it also said that the concentrations they detected were in the parts per billion and parts per trillion. Maybe they are a hazard and maybe they aren't. Either way, greater allowable concentrations of arsenic, cyanide, and lead in addition to the other chemicals I listed will do more damage. This is like worrying about the tire pressure on your car when all the lug nuts are loose, but go ahead and worry away.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #57
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I read the article and it also said that the concentrations they detected were in the parts per billion and parts per trillion. Maybe they are a hazard and maybe they aren't. Either way, greater allowable concentrations of arsenic, cyanide, and lead in addition to the other chemicals I listed will do more damage. This is like worrying about the tire pressure on your car when all the lug nuts are loose, but go ahead and worry away.
Neither of us is qualified to know whether those other chemicals/metals will do more damage than pharamacueticals in ALL cases. Maybe in general, but not necessarily for everyone. There may be cases where some people are very sensitive to certain pharamaceuticals, like maybe they have a health condition that they are taking one kind of medicine for, and along comes this other medicine in their tapwater that counteracts it. In the short term that person isn't going to notice anything, but over several years? Nobody has done a study. Also the fact that the government doesn't even require anyone to test for pharmaceuticals is concerning IMO. How do we know there aren't water systems somewhere where the levels are really high?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #58
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Neither of us is qualified to know whether those other chemicals/metals will do more damage than pharamacueticals in ALL cases. Maybe in general, but not necessarily for everyone. There may be cases where some people are very sensitive to certain pharamaceuticals, like maybe they have a health condition that they are taking one kind of medicine for, and along comes this other medicine in their tapwater that counteracts it. In the short term that person isn't going to notice anything, but over several years? Nobody has done a study. Also the fact that the government doesn't even require anyone to test for pharmaceuticals is concerning IMO. How do we know there aren't water systems somewhere where the levels are really high?
I'm not sure anyone is qualified in ALL cases. Testing of pharmaceuticals (which people are regularly ingesting in relatively massive quantities anyway) is not done to the part per billion or trillion level over a long term that I am aware of. If someone is extremely hyper-susceptable to a chemical or compound it may be an issue over the course of their lifetime. The same could be said about anything, yet I choose not to be afraid of the sun, the air, or the water as these things are currently among the least likely to kill me.