Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #51
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by defector View Post
Private planes are one step above that. One of my vendors took us out to Illinois for a full tour of their plant and we were still back in under 12hrs.

I asked my boss what we rent our company plane out for and he says it is something like 10K an HOUR. Damn.
That is some crazy shit.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #52
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

I've flown a few times commercially but if I have the time, I like to drive and enjoy the scenery along the way. I've made more military flights than civilian though. I'd rather fly military any day, went to Germany in '00 on a KC-135, jump seats along the fuselage but I could get up and walk around, lay down and stretch out on the deck, poke my head in the cockpit and chat with the pilots or strech out in the tailboom operators nice cushy "bed". Now going to Kuwait in '02 pretty much sucked, the "rotator" flight (civilian charter) while only half full on the flight over was 27 hrs total time leaving from ATL, stop in Baltimore, The Azores, Aviano Italy, then finally Kuwait City 27 hrs later. Coming back was really bad because there wasn't an empty seat on the plane and I was ready to be home!!

I love flying on regular military flights though, I've sat on the open loading ramp of a C-130 at 5K feet, talk about a view!! Helicopters are a blast too, got to take a couple rides in UH-1D's, that was awesome!

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #53
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I've flown several times, overall I enjoy it, altho sometimes I get a little claustrophobic from all the people, both in the airport and the plane.

About the only thing that really bothers me when I fly is my seatmates instant desire to talk to me the very moment I open my book. Then shut up when I put it down. And repeat. I have a hard time being rude and cant tell them shut the eff up so I can read in peace.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #54
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post

I love flying on regular military flights though, I've sat on the open loading ramp of a C-130 at 5K feet, talk about a view!! Helicopters are a blast too, got to take a couple rides in UH-1D's, that was awesome!
Totally fun. I've learned to pack a hammock on mil flights, I walk back to the ramp, tie up to the supports, throw on a set of ear muffs plop in my ear buds and lay down. Overall though, the best mil flight I ever took i was sitting in the cockpit of a C130 while the pilot flew map of the earth over the normandy coastline.

As far as commercial flights, I've been on 4 trips this year, maybe 12 individual flights total, in 2009 I did over 30 trips, probably 80 or 90 individual flights.

Last edited by derf; 01-29-2010 at 08:21 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #55
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
I love flying, I just hate being stuck in a seat with some random person next to me. Rarely can they be fun to talk to so I just make sure I am tired enough to wake up at my destination.
Or sitting next to that "Business Suit" dick that reads his NY Times across your lap for 3 hours, and when you try to talk to him for once, he acts like he is too important for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
It'd be fun to learn to fly. Isn't it expensive as shit to get your license though?
Yes the flight lessions are expensive, but the real kicker is renting a plane. The fuel is re-fucking-diculous. That why you befriend a rich person with a personal plane and get them to let you fly it every so often.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #56
t-homo
WSB Champion

I call them single serving friends.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #57
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
I call them single serving friends.
You aren't a special butterfly, You aren't your fucking khakis, and you definitely aren't Tyler Fucking Durden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #58
t-homo
WSB Champion

You are the all singing, all dancing, crap of the world.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #59
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

A number of posts I've read on this board have made me wonder how many members get out of their little bubbles and see the world first-hand. Maybe that'd be an interesting spin-off from here, a "where have you traveled" type thread.

Last edited by fasternyou929; 01-29-2010 at 11:38 PM..
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #60
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

I like flying, I have been flying since I was a young kid to visit family oversees. I usually sit next to decent people and chat my whole way there and back.

What is the price difference on first class vs economy when you fly domestic? I have to fly back to NYC in March and if the price difference isn't horrific, it may be the better option.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote