Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #41
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Didn't make it as far down as Rome, but Livorno scared the everloving shit out of me. Scooters are the worst, and for every driver in Italy, stoplights are just a suggestion, apparently. For once I was happy to stay on the autostradas.

Germany has drivers that go balls out fast, but at least they are predictable - they will ALWAYS be in the left lane on the autobahn, and if you happen to be in the left lane when they are approaching from behind, they will at least give you the courtesy of flashing their high beams while you still have a chance to GTFO of their way.

Brazil is a lot like Italy - you kinda need a Spidey-sense to make it out alive. I haven't had to drive at all anywhere in Brazil, but being a passenger was a hell of a leap of faith. It certainly explains why my mom drives the way she does - like a bat out of hell. She grew up in the country, but probably got most of her initial driving experience in Sao Paulo. At least the subway system there is relatively easy to navigate, and hits the spots I usually like to visit when I'm there. Not as nice or clean as the London Underground, but it works.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #42
Rider
Moto GP Star

More hate...
Attached Images
File Type: png Hate.png (147.9 KB, 107 views)
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #43
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Old 09-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #44
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I love it. Where can I buy one?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #45
Razor
Token

Moto: '07 Kawasaki Mean Streak Special Edition

Thia traffic isn't too bad unless you are riding in one of the Bhat buses or on a took-took, then shit gets real interesting real fast.

Never drove in Bogota but rode in several armored vans adn those drivers would literally run people off the road or push them out of the way if they stopped in front of them, they took their defensive driving seriously.

The absolute worst driving that I have ever seen however is where we are currently, in Greece. People drive about 120KPH in 50 KPH zones, pass on curves, pass with oncoming traffic right there, I mean Car #1 passes car #2 and car #3(going opposite direction from #1 and #2) has to move over to keep from hitting #1 head-on, and they do this shit everywhere. No one gets pulled over for anything, well except if you make a left turn on a red arrow, then you get a big ticket. People park at night on blind curves in the fucking road, just throw their hazards on. They ride 2 or 3 up on mopeds or motorcycles and carry their helmets (if they have them at all) on their arm, usually the same one they are smoking with or holding their cup of coffee...

Oh but yesterday I did see a midget on a 50, it was the highlight of my trip thus far. I will be keeping my eye out for more midget riders so hopefully I can get a picture!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #46
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I don't think Texas drivers are the worst. I just hate them. I wasn't living in Texas the first time I wrote this, I was living in Louisiana. And Louisiana has some real pieces of work on the road, to be sure.

Actually, in my opinion the worst are Atlanta drivers. With Birmingham a very close second. It's not just the size of the cities, either, because I've lived in New Orleans and done quite a bit of driving in and around San Diego. And Hawaii was just a downright pleasant driving experience (except for the tourists, who you could usually see coming in their rented rag-top Mustangs). But in Atlanta and Birmingham, you'd swear that you had deflowered the sister of every dillweed on the road, because those bastards come after you with a grudge.

But Texas drivers, I have to deal with them every day now, so I hate them. I hate the roads too. They seem to have been engineered by a drunken crack-baby monkey drawing out streets with a half a piece of chalk and bits of feces.
I have driven in both Birmingham and Atlanta, during rush hour. You, Sir, do not want to visit Toronto. At least not if you plan on doing your own driving.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #47
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
You, Sir, do not want to visit Toronto. At least not if you plan on doing your own driving.
You are correct sir.

I'd rather see the Canadian wilderness anyway.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #48
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
You are correct sir.

I'd rather see the Canadian wilderness anyway.
Good plan. But fly into Toronto, just to see what the women in the most culturally diverse city in the world look like, then catch a connection to Banff

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #49
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I have a few criteria that I use to quickly assess other drivers on the road for dangerous potential when approaching them, for my own safety. These are the "warning signs" that usually indicate a bad driver:

Hat
Cigar/Pipe
Oriental
Volvo
Jesus bumper sticker

Clearly, if you should ever approach what appears to be an Oriental driver, in a Volvo sporting a Jesus bumpersticker, wearing a hat, and smoking...GIVE THE MOTHERFUCKER ROOM.
Add Camrys to the list. Sorry pauldun, but most Camry drivers are 60 y/o Sunday-school-teaching women who squat in the fast lane doing 64.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #50
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
The way I see it, is all drivers everywhere suck. They just suck in different ways in different locations.

Here, I hate that people creep at stop lights. Drives me up the fucking wall. Pull up to where you are going to stop, apply break then STAY THERE. Fuck! Now I am pissed off at the imaginary creepers in my head.
How about the idiots who pull up to the light next to you and then try to beat you and cut in front of you, even though their turn is only 200 feet ahead.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote