Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-22-2011, 03:03 AM   #41
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Define "chronic".

And how did they control the different groups to make sure they led the same type of lifestyle? (i.e. diet, exercise, sleep, etc.)
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #42
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Define "chronic".
The stickiest of the icky.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #43
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Define "chronic".

And how did they control the different groups to make sure they led the same type of lifestyle? (i.e. diet, exercise, sleep, etc.)
Google motherfucker, do I look like Louis?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #44
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Anyone that's studied steroids knows that long-term studies are lacking due to their status as an illegal drug, causal effects are murky when examined over prolonged durations for that reason combined with poor controls, and the "heart disease" risk isn't some mystical concept - it's an increased cholesterol level that contributes to plaque build up in arteries. It's not something particularly related to increased androgens in the blood stream that does damage, it's something that can be brought under control much like typical cholesterol levels are brought under control by normal individuals. Let's cut through the shit - steroids are synthetic testosterone, and have very much the same physical effects as testosterone, only posing significant health risks at supraphysiological dosages. This knowledge forms the basis of HRT, by the way, which doctors administer by calculating the dosage necessary to maintain a physiological level of testosterone.

And the "weakened heart valves" line is bullshit - cardio hypertrophy occurs regularly in athletes (hint: people using steroids aren't doing it to sit on the couch), and can result in death for any individual that has an enlarged heart as a result. See: the multiple high school athletes that have died as a result of this phenomena.

Also, for shits and giggles I googled it just to see where your hilariously specific mention came from: protip - know what you're talking about thoroughly before using google. Hint: the study placed no control on the dosages of long term users, and therefore the likelihood supraphysiological dosages were administered is more likely, in addition to not examining the cardio training done by said "weight lifters". Studies are shit without effective controls.

It's Lyle Alzado all over again - people choosing to blame steroids for the death, when cocaine, something we know for a fact leads to heart attacks and causes permanent heart damage regardless of dosage, is the more likely culprit. In Lyle Alzado's case it was the concussions brought about playing in the NFL that led to brain cancer, not the steroids.

Same shit. Same misattributed cause.
Great post, thank you..well execpt for the part about me Googling stuff, which I didn't. Weakened heart valves are a commonly used example people use to not use steroids. I'm a pro-steroids kind of guy personally, its just so expensive to do right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post

Pot will give you lung cancer.
Surprisingly it doesn't. In the largest study of its kind over a period of 25 years people who smoke marijuana on a regular basis had less lung cancer than a control group of cigarette smokers and people who don't smoke anything. Cannabis' anti-cancer properties seem to have something to do with it. However, people who smoke marijuana and cigarettes show a significantly higher rate of emphysema than those who smoke cigarettes alone.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #45
goof2
AMA Supersport

This is great, everybody arguing over the misinformation about their drug of choice.

Blaming Savage's death on any one thing is pretty likely to be hopeless. The lifestyles of professional wrestlers tend to lead to early deaths. I can't think of another "sport" where chronic steroid abuse, chronic alcohol abuse, chronic recreational drug abuse, and chronic prescription drug abuse are all present, if not encouraged. We can factor in the constant abuse their bodies take and injuries that aren't given time to heal as well. All this has lead to a lot of deaths at relatively young ages. Macho Man made it to his late 50s which is actually pretty good. There are a ton of pro wrestlers who have died in their 30s and 40s.

I have to say I'm with Apoc though, he made his choice and I'm not about to start shedding tears over it.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #46
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Of course. You can turn up the wick, but it burns out sooner. I doubt any of the people in that particular part of show business aren't keenly aware of the inherent risks of their occupation.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #47
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I know Lex Luger and Miss Elizabeth have something to do with this...

Liz is dead, Luger is a new born christian.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #48
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Dude, it was all over the news. I posted links. It's the largest study ever done. The heavy pot smokers were the least likely to develop lung cancer.

If that fucks with your reality too much, you probably want to ignore the statistic that chronic alcohol drinkers outlive non-drinkers also.

Now it's your turn to "show your work."

Everything that I have found on that study says that MJ does not increase the odds of lung cancer but I have seen nothing from that study showing it decrease the odds.

In fact, according to what i have read on that same study:
Quote:
Cancer risk among cigarette smokers was not influenced by whether or not they also smoked marijuana.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:25 AM   #49
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

what killed savage was OAK not coke
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #50
tommymac
Moto GP Star

just saw this on yahoo and thought it was interesting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/O...?urn=top-wp132
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote