Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #41
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I know what you're saying....but this isn't like any other comunnity where I'd be living. It's an isolated outpost only accessible by flight (on a teeny plane)! It's kind of a different situation but I do understand what you're saying.
A buddy of mine would work in Antarctica for 6 months at a time, save a ton of money, then go on a 6 month adventure. At one point, he stayed down there for a year. One of his adventures was backpacking through Europe, flying to Australia, hitchhiking, surfing, partying his ass off. Another adventure was a world rockclimbing tour. He would just go wherever he felt like going whenever he felt like it. Then, when he ran out of money, he'd go back to work for 6 months to a year.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #42
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
A buddy of mine would work in Antarctica for 6 months at a time, save a ton of money, then go on a 6 month adventure. At one point, he stayed down there for a year. One of his adventures was backpacking through Europe, flying to Australia, hitchhiking, surfing, partying his ass off. Another adventure was a world rockclimbing tour. He would just go wherever he felt like going whenever he felt like it. Then, when he ran out of money, he'd go back to work for 6 months to a year.
With so many seasonal jobs in Alaska, I meet tons of people just like that. Everyone buckles down and works one or two jobs through a season with little social life and then goes off on a long adventure. As long as you plan to run out of money right around a work season starting up, you will be fine.

A friend of mine had a Antartica job lined up but he turned it town for some silly reason.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #43
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
I considered south when all I wanted was a bit of adventure....but the thought of making half of what I do now isn't too appealing.
Far south in Canada? Wouldn't that be Windsor?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #44
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
If you're not a pilot or a scientist, what kinds of jobs are available in Antarctica..?

EDIT: http://antarctica.kulgun.net/Jobs/#jobs
My buddy was an avionics tech. We worked on radar systems in the Air Force. After getting out, I went home and went back to school. He went on wild adventures. He offered to hook me up with a job down there, but I didn't want to quit school and start again later.

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 02-04-2010 at 06:12 PM..
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #45
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
If you're not a pilot or a scientist, what kinds of jobs are available in Antarctica..?

Yep. All kinds of jobs like that in the Alaskan oil fields too.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #46
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
Far south in Canada? Wouldn't that be Windsor?
Some of us live not just in the same county we were born in but in whole other parts of the country/continent/world too.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #47
Flexin
AMA Supersport

I wouldn't but I want to be near family. I thought about doing it when Lisa was pregnant with Taylor Rayne, I was 21 and wanted to make sure I had money for when my child was born. I canceled a NY trip and just worked. I thought about leaving long enough to get some money in the bank to support Lisa and are new child. I didn't end up leaving but did work here. Then we lost Taylor. If she lived and I needed the money I would have if there was no other choice.

With two kids now it would be too much work. I would have to leave them here and miss Lisa and the kids or take them with me and would have to make enough to support us all or Lisa would have to find a job in that area as well. Then we would have to find a baby sitter till Sienna was in school and finding someone is a bitch and expensive.

So at this point in my life it would be no.

If I could have a week or two home for about every two months of work and I could be almost debt free I after 1 year then I would think about it. If I could have that time home and the debt free included the house there is about a 40% chance I would do it. Spending time with my kids is the world to me so it would have to be good for my family.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #48
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:

A dude my age went to Antarctica for his job or learning or something. Stayed in a shelter that was kinda under ground with 5" thick glass windows. Pretty neat.

Time wise, a year is nothing. Even if it sucks, a year goes by fast. As suggested I wouldn't go too far unless you're just packing the clothes on your back.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #49
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Because I've moved around quite a bit. When you're constantly off on a new adventure it makes it hard to "put down roots" so to speak and sometimes you feel like you're constantly starting over.
I know what you are saying but you are still young. There are 2 things to consider.

First, putting down roots in terms of a family in most cases means "new adventures" like what you are describing are over for a long damn time. Look at how many people in this thread have made "If I didn't have ______ I would definitely do it" comments. Not everyone follows that, but from what I have seen most do.

Second, money can't buy you happiness, but it can sure as hell buy off a lot of worry. Since you are considering this I am guessing that you have a decent amount of debt, that debt is weighing on you, and you can't find an opportunity locally to get rid of it quickly. Even if you are miserable up there what you are essentially doing is trading one year of dubious happiness for a fresh start without the debt.

There are no guarantees, but at the end of the year you will most likely have a lot of life left for putting down roots. Would you rather do so now in a financial situation that obviously concerns you or would you rather do so in a year with that off your back?
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #50
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
North and South Carolina are the worst for teaching! Pay scales are absolutely rediculous. No way in hell would I bother with that.
I dunno... one of my best friends teaches in Charlotte... 8th grade history. He's doing pretty well. I know he was heavily recruited too.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote