Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #41
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
Thanks for the classy reply. They've been selling 650s since 2004, dum dum. It's not a new bike.
So the SV has 6 years on them, in addition to being from a company that's well established in North America (Suzuki sold their first bike in the US, in the 1960s IIRC).

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #42
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Thanks for the classy reply. They've been selling 650s since 2004, dum dum. It's not a new bike.

Wow. 2004. That is a long time ago. Wish I could remember those olden days.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #43
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

And the SV has been selling for only 5 more years, yet it's probably outsold the Hyosung by a factor of 20 or 30.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #44
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

Well, I've got a 2005 DRZ I'd love to sell you as a "new" bike since you think that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Wow. 2004. That is a long time ago. Wish I could remember those olden days.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #45
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

I think that's the main reason why the SV has done so well. It's a cheap bike, yes, but it does have a brand name associated with it. Honda can sell a cheap car and people will take pride in ownership because it has the Honda name. Hyosung doesn't have that luxury. I wish them luck but as a buyer, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to choose the GT650R over the SV650S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
So the SV has 6 years on them, in addition to being from a company that's well established in North America (Suzuki sold their first bike in the US, in the 1960s IIRC).
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #46
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
I think that's the main reason why the SV has done so well. It's a cheap bike, yes, but it does have a brand name associated with it. Honda can sell a cheap car and people will take pride in ownership because it has the Honda name. Hyosung doesn't have that luxury. I wish them luck but as a buyer, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to choose the GT650R over the SV650S.
That's why Hundai started giving free regular service during the warranty period, for their cars.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #47
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
I wish them luck but as a buyer, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to choose the GT650R over the SV650S.
New SV650SF MSRP $7499
New GT650R MSRP $6,099 solid color, $6499 two-tone

SV: aftermarket support, proven platform, less weight, slightly more power, better refined and better put together.

GT: cheaper, but only by $1-$1.5K.

For my money, the SV is the better buy. The price difference would have to be at least $3K for me to seriously consider the Hyosung.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #48
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

My vfr is an 01 and I can guarrante that it runs just as well if not better than an '09 vfr.

Its sad that people think that a date on a bike makes it worthy or not.

I love how people are getting ther panties all tied up over this. Its a different company selling different bikes. You might as well call your self a harley rider if you think your bikes origins are the greatest and the rest is shit.

I remember tons of people calling Vizio tvs shit and look at them now. One of the top dogs.

Its funny cause Im sure there are plenty of parts on our bikes that are out sourced out of japan to complete the bike.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #49
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
New SV650SF MSRP $7499
New GT650R MSRP $6,099 solid color, $6499 two-tone

SV: aftermarket support, proven platform, less weight, slightly more power, better refined and better put together.

GT: cheaper, but only by $1-$1.5K.

For my money, the SV is the better buy. The price difference would have to be at least $3K for me to seriously consider the Hyosung.
plus billion
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #50
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Why are people bitching about a company putting more competition into the motorcycle world? I love competition, it drives prices down. Sure Hyosung isn't (or may not be) as dependable as one of the Jap 4 (or even Europe) but they offer what appears to be a decent bike for a good bit less (you can probably negotiate with Hyo/UM sales weasels much easier) that looks good.

We all know that overall Toyota and Honda makes a better car than Hyundai or Kia but not everyone on here has the desire to drive their car to Thirdgen distances and don't need a car that can go 500,000 miles. So for many an option like a decent looking Hyundai that is a little less than Honda is perfect (and why they are selling like crazy).

Plus many people use the SV650 as a beginner bike. In a year or two that SV650 will be up for sale with them taking a hit for a bigger and better bike. That 1500 less in the Hyosung can be a big difference in 2 years. My 1st bike (SecaII) lasted 3 months before I got my CBR F3.

It's a great beginner bike that looks 10x better than many other beginner bikes.