Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #41
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
That doesn't mean they don't want to indulge every now and then. A little wild human might be tasty.
... or might be poison.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #42
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Pirate Aliens, YARRRRR!!!
Better make some friends with Ninja Aliens.

Or we could just sick our illegal aliens on them. They'll wake up to have their jobs taken and ray guns jacked.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #43
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I don't think that they'd be peaceful necessarily, so much as just disinterested. Why would they even bother with us, in any way, when a true spacefaring race would be able to get everything that they needed from gas giants and the Oort Cloud? Why even waste the resources to drop into a gravity well at all, if you don't need to?
I am transferring current human tendencies on to an alien species but humans do dangerous and stupid stuff all the time for no practical reason. We don't "need" to do quite a lot of the things that NASA does. The countries that are talking about going back to the moon certainly don't "need" to do what NASA already did 40 years ago. The assumption that aliens would solely base their actions on "need", especially when humans do not posses the same inclination, is at least a little presumptuous.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #44
udman
You are not the Man!!

Moto: Hawk GT

Any alien ship that gets close enough to Earth to start a Twitter account will move on and leave us alone in short order...
Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #45
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Any alien race that came to Earth would likely observe us first before attempting contact, and the first thing that would strike them would be man's inhumanity to man. Leaving bleeding people on the street, the overwhelming violence in our media, and the history of war that goes back farther than the history of writing information down. Literally, killing each other was important to us before any method of transferring knowledge that didn't involve talking was.

This will result in one of two outcomes. Either said hypothetical extraterrestrial race will steer clear of us, probably slapping an intergalactic biohazard label on our solar system (could this be why we haven't met any aliens yet?) or the other alternative, they preemptively wipe us out utterly to protect themselves. While I think either is likely, unless you use a method of killing us that affects us and only us biologically, it would be hard to beat humanity in a conflict. The one thing we do better than anything else is kill things. The fastest developmental curve for any technology in any human culture is that of weaponry, and almost every scientific advance we've ever made has been turned into some method of killing. I don't have an opinion about it either way, but in any kind of conflict other than a brutal, effective and overwhelming surprise decimation I think humanity will eventually have an edge.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #46
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Any alien race that came to Earth would likely observe us first before attempting contact, and the first thing that would strike them would be man's inhumanity to man. Leaving bleeding people on the street, the overwhelming violence in our media, and the history of war that goes back farther than the history of writing information down. Literally, killing each other was important to us before any method of transferring knowledge that didn't involve talking was.

This will result in one of two outcomes. Either said hypothetical extraterrestrial race will steer clear of us, probably slapping an intergalactic biohazard label on our solar system (could this be why we haven't met any aliens yet?) or the other alternative, they preemptively wipe us out utterly to protect themselves. While I think either is likely, unless you use a method of killing us that affects us and only us biologically, it would be hard to beat humanity in a conflict. The one thing we do better than anything else is kill things. The fastest developmental curve for any technology in any human culture is that of weaponry, and almost every scientific advance we've ever made has been turned into some method of killing. I don't have an opinion about it either way, but in any kind of conflict other than a brutal, effective and overwhelming surprise decimation I think humanity will eventually have an edge.
What if they are more sadistic than us? Hey, look a new breed of alien pets. I want one daddy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #47
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I am transferring current human tendencies on to an alien species but humans do dangerous and stupid stuff all the time for no practical reason. We don't "need" to do quite a lot of the things that NASA does. The countries that are talking about going back to the moon certainly don't "need" to do what NASA already did 40 years ago. The assumption that aliens would solely base their actions on "need", especially when humans do not posses the same inclination, is at least a little presumptuous.
I don't think that they would necessarily do EVERYTHING based on need, but life in space would tend to create a certain desire to be economical in action. You wouldn't waste resources, nor would you take actions that wouldn't yield SOME concrete benefit. And if the concrete benefit of hunting humans with a napalm projector is better morale, then maybe they'd do it. I tend to think not though.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #48
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post

Gort. Klaatu barada nikto.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #49
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

What if we are unable to help save someone else's home world in the future and they can back to our past and destroy us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #50
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Then they're vindictive little bitches, because at least we tried.