Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #41
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I appreciate the opinions. I have worked at a hospital for years and haven't gone in for lasik yet because I was researching who the best was. This center is very reputable and I doubt Dr. Selkin will even do my surgery. The only thing I have agreed to do is go in for a consultation. I will decide based on that if I want to proceed. I highly doubt I will be paying 599/eye as that was an estimate and she doesn't know what type of lasik i need yet. If the quality is good at the consultation I will move forward regardless of if there is a discount or not.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #42
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

I agree on the cheesy-ness of the 'drawing', which I figure is simply a marketing ploy. Then again, I think it was a couple of months ago that she 'entered' & I predicted they'd be calling & sending junk mail immediately - maybe they're just slow on followup.

My limited understanding of Lasik is that the quality/technology/maintenance of the equipment has as much or more to do with the quality of the procedure as the expertise of the particular doc (assuming competency, of course). I think my primary concern would be with investigating the reputation of the specific procedure/equip. which they use.
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #43
buzzcutt2
Fuzznutz

Moto: 98 ZX9

Had mine done about 4 months ago and love it - no issues at all, I now see 20/15 out of both eyes. I went to the place that did the guy from Americas Most Wanted.
buzzcutt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #44
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

I want this... eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #45
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

You'll love it, I did it in Jan this year and it was money well spent! I now have 20/15 vision and no issue with dry eyes at all. That only lasted for a a couple weeks for me. The first week you have a tons of drops to put in and by the 2nd it's suggested every hour or as needed wetting drops but I really only needed them when I was at the computer for long periods of time and not really more then about 3 weeks. Other people have said they needed them longer but riding has no effect at all because you blink. While looking at a computer you tend to not blink as much which is why they dry.

The procedure is super quick and painless. The worst part is the first machine and it doesn't hurt it's just really weird. You can't feel much but they basically suction cup your eyeball so it can't move while the laser makes the cut - you can't tell what's happening but you feel pressure on your eye. like someone is pushing on it hard...it doesn't hurt at all but it's really an odd sensation. It only lasts about 20 seconds per eye and then the next machine does the rest with no discomfort in about another 20 seconds per eye.

Then off you go, home to sleep for a few hours and it just keeps getting better from there. I just had my 3 month check up and all is perfect..! you won't be sorry and I was nervous as hell too. I know it's safe but damn it it's my EYE... They gave me Valium so by the time I was going in i was practically asleep.

let us know how it goes...
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #46
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I did mine almost 4 years ago and don't regret it at all. It was super! My left eye was terrible before, I couldn't even see the HUGE E on the wall ( a faint faint grey smudge) It had regressed a bit, and since I have been pregnant I have seen it get worse, but that is a pregnant thing, you won't have to worry about that...lol.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #47
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I'm scheduled to have mine done this Saturday and I'm nervous as hell.

Since "dry eye" is one of the most common side effects of the surgery, it seems like it would put us motorcyclists in particular discomfort, what with wind rushing around our heads and all. My eyes are a little dry to begin with, so I don't know what to expect post-op...
I personally had PRK... but my eyes only get dry at night while sleeping... when I wake up and go to open my eyes... it hurts! but you get used to it... open your eyes slowly... and after a couple seconds your eyes rehydrate themselves...

I've NEVER had a problem with my eyes drying out during the day... and i ride everyday. I usually have sunglasses on with my visor either open fully or cracked a bit to get my face more air (temps have been steady in the high 70's-80 here already... no issues.

even riding up in December and Jan to and from Omaha my eyes were never a problem.

but YMMV.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #48
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
I'm scheduled to have mine done this Saturday and I'm nervous as hell.

Since "dry eye" is one of the most common side effects of the surgery, it seems like it would put us motorcyclists in particular discomfort, what with wind rushing around our heads and all. My eyes are a little dry to begin with, so I don't know what to expect post-op...

My eyes also get very tired looking at a computer screen all day. I wonder how/if the surgery will affect this as well.

I'm having the "custom," all-laser type surgery and my plan includes life-time enhancements should my eyesight begin to deteriorate again. I've Googled the crap out of my surgeon (Steven Stetson) and I haven't found much to hold against him. He's operating out of the Marietta, GA branch of the Lasik Vision Institute.

ericr, you're from this area, did you come across this place while you were shopping around? I decided on them because of price and the positive experiences a few of my coworkers had with them.

Triple, I did not run across them because I didn't do a lot of looking around at the time. I knew that Emory was the leader in the nation and from a few people I knew that worked down there, said Harbin was pretty much second and had the same equipment. The laser is the biggest factor...auto correction for any involuntary eye movement makes it nearly foolproof with the proper mapping and programming for your eye. I used Harbin, about $1K less and a 15 mile drive instead of 50 miles to Emory. I was borderline for the dry eye problems, even with contacts and glasses I carried eye drops because my allergies make my eyes so dry. Still carry them but don't need them as much as I used to even with glasses. Riding hasn't presented any more problem for me with it either but I can sure see a hell of a lot better.

Beware of any place that advertises cheaper prices and then sells "upgrades" to full 20/20 vison. If they're having to use that marketing ploy to get business, they wouldn't get mine. Good luck with yours, it really is worth getting IMO.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #49
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
I canceled my appointment for surgery. The procedure changes and weakens your eye for the rest of your life. They cut a flap that never completely heals. Not a problem for a lot of people but not suggested for those who participate in contact sports-- particularly combat sports, so no deal! Trauma to your eye can reopen the flap, causing immediate vision degredation, infection, etc. As things tend to hit me in the eyes on a regular basis, this is not worth the risk.

PRK sounds like the better procedure. More expensive, takes longer, and hurts more during recovery, but safer over time. No cutting. I'll look into it when I can afford it.
That's why I did it... they said the chance of you dislodging the flap is very very rare... but it was possible in contact sports or in very dusty or dry situations (I wanna ride around the world.... probably gonna hit dry and dusty more than a few times )

For us Military... PRK and Lasik are both offered.. they push PRK as it's got less risk in the long run... but the advantage of Lasik is the healing time is much less. as just the seam of the flap must heal rather than the entire surface of your eye.

I'll hit 1 year in July. my vision has been perfect... and with the exception of the dry eye in the AM when I first wake up... (actually thought i tore open the flap the first time it happened... then realized after I calmed down... that I had no flap as I had PRK not Lasik ) I've had absolutely no issues.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #50
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

I got PRK. Recovery time is a bitch. Oh, and I can't wear AGV helmets anymore.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote