Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #41
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I carry a Glock 27 and love it...however I didn't love it at first due to the length of the magazine...nothing for my pinky to grip. I added a plus 1 extention and now I love the thing...made all the difference in the world.

I carried a Glock 23 before this and I wanted something smaller since I have to conceal it under a suit and the 27 was a better fit.

Having said this I don't really recommend it for the first time owner. A revolver is more dependable and less complicated for someone that isn't used to carrying and relying on one for self defense imho.

Another issue with the Glock for a person not used to carrying and not sure if they are going to carry it much or not is the fact that it has no external safety and also has a fairly light trigger pull. This has proved to be an issue with rookie police officers when faced with a real life scenerio..nervous plus being new to carrying a gun is a bad combo.

This is just MY opinion and what I've seen/heard about.

My wife carries a S&W Bodyguard Special Airweight .38 +P. It's not a good target gun due to the lightweight and short barrel but it is a good...small...conceal carry weapon since it's light...small...no external hammer to get caught on her purse etc...and it's easy to use...just point and shoot like an instant camera. It always works and she doesn't have to fiddle with an external safety or a jam...or have to worry if there is one in the chamber. The trigger pull is enough that she won't accidentally shoot just because she's nervous like could happen with a Glock due to the lighter trigger pull.

I like several brands including ones mentioned here...not just Glock...but that's what I just happen to carry...but I've conceal carried for 20 + years.

Last edited by z06boy; 01-05-2010 at 11:28 AM..
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #42
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
The first question is, how familiar are you with semi auto's? If this is really your first gun, I'd recommend a revolver. No safety to forget, no worries of having to clear a jam, and you don't have to remember to chamber your first round. You just point and shoot. Now if you have your heart set on a semi auto, you need to become extremely proficient with it. Lots and lots of practice and don't carry it until you are proficient. When it comes time to needing it, you don't have time to think. It needs to be second nature.

As far as what semi auto, You can't go wrong with a Glock 23. If you don't mind spending a little more, an H&K USP 40 and a Sig Sauer P229 are fantastic guns. Springfield XD40 and the S&W M&P 40 are also nice guns. Hold them all in your had and fire them a lot. Put a least a full box through each of them. Pick the one that is most comfortable and the most accurate for you because it's different for everyone.
Not extremely familiar with semi-auto pistols, but I've been around firearms most of my life and have fired several different hand guns at the rental shooting range. Spent 7 years in the Air Force, plus I hunt and own shotguns, rifles, and muzzleloaders. I'm familiar with cleaning and maintenance of firearms, but would certainly appreciate any advice about which guns are easier to maintain, jam less frequently, easier to break down, etc. Reason I was cosidering the Glock is I've heard, and read, that they're quite reliable. My parents own an H & K .40, but I haven't had the chance to go to the range with them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
PS...if it's going to be a concealed carry gun, get one in stainless or polymer/with one of the high-tech finishes.... regular blued pistols will rust, even if you are diligent about cleaning them as soon as you take them off.

Sweat will destroy your gun in short order.....
Definitely good info. I don't expect I'll carry it all the time, but that could always change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
One last suggestion. If you are stuck on a semi auto but you want the knock down force of a .357 magnum then get a .357 sig. The ground shakes you cap off a round.
Definitely not stuck on semi-auto and have considered getting a small revolver.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #43
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Not extremely familiar with semi-auto pistols, but I've been around firearms most of my life and have fired several different hand guns at the rental shooting range. Spent 7 years in the Air Force, plus I hunt and own shotguns, rifles, and muzzleloaders. I'm familiar with cleaning and maintenance of firearms, but would certainly appreciate any advice about which guns are easier to maintain, jam less frequently, easier to break down, etc. Reason I was cosidering the Glock is I've heard, and read, that they're quite reliable. My parents own an H & K .40, but I haven't had the chance to go to the range with them yet.

Definitely good info. I don't expect I'll carry it all the time, but that could always change.

Definitely not stuck on semi-auto and have considered getting a small revolver.
For maintenance the Glocks come apart real easy. In about 3 seconds you can have the slide off and the barrel removed. It doesn't get much easier.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #44
CasterTroy

I carry a XD sub-compact and a Kel-tec PF-9

My home gun is an XDm

All 9mm

Pay no attention to the AMT .380...it's a terd and is my "attic gun"

The ruger is my son's target .22

Here is how the (3) 9mm auto's stack up (literally)

The Kel-tec is a single stack and hides completely in the holster....the same type holster I carry the XD sub in (but the XD' grip sticks out of my beltline)

And the Kel-tec can be WELL concealed, even in summer clothing. I call it my "movie gun" because it's the one I always take when we're in a public place that I'm not able to totally conceal because of light clothing. I carry the XD sub everywhere except in places the handle may become obvious.

With the "fluff & buff" the Kel-tec is very reliable. But I have experienced a few double-feeds with it when using simple FMJ target ammo. Never with hollowpoint or powerball ammo.

The Kel-tec is accurate for a tiny barrel....good grouping at 7 yrds. Forget 25 yrds. The XD sub does as well at 25 yrds as the Kel-tec at 7. ANd of COURSE the XDm blows them both away...but it's HUGE. It also holds 20 rounds of ammo though

The XD sub holds 13 (16 with the mag extention) and the Kel-tec holds 7

I like a 45, but I'd rather have the ability to make contact more often if need be than having to rely on fewer chances at great penetration
Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #45
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

If you aren't dead set on a semi auto, then look at the LCR. It is a nice little revolver which is easy to conceal. Not terrible to shoot. I liked it better than the S&W Lightweight I shot. Not as heavy as the SP101 but has some weight to soak up some recoil.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #46
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

I carry a XD .40 and love it. The Glock did NOT fit well in my hand at all.
The XD has the trigger safety, as well as the grip safety. At first I figured the grip safety would be a pain, but any time you are either firing or racking the slide, you should have a good grip on the weapon anyway. So no big deal.
I really like the Sig 229 as well, but it was just too big for my hand.
M&P was nice as well, but couldn't find anything that would make it $100 better than the XD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #47
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
I carry a XD .40 and love it. The Glock did NOT fit well in my hand at all.
The XD has the trigger safety, as well as the grip safety. At first I figured the grip safety would be a pain, but any time you are either firing or racking the slide, you should have a good grip on the weapon anyway. So no big deal.
this.

I love my XD40 but I would like a 1911 at some point.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #48
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
i have a sigma 9mm for plinking that is pretty fun to shoot and hasn't had a single issue.

i would look at a ruger 357 (revolver) or kimber 45. ok those are the next two i'm hoping to get. LOL
I have a .40 Sigma that I don't like much. The trigger pull is too heavy and inconsistent for my liking even after replacing the trigger spring with a lighter one and polishing the entire trigger mechanism. For the price (new for under $300 including taxes, transfer fees, and 4 hi cap mags) it was a good deal and it has been reliable, but I wish I had spent more for a better gun.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #49
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

If you're foing to look at revolvers also, make sure you check out Taurus. Very good quality guns and less $'s. I''ve got a 605 (?), have to check the model, snubbie 5 shot stainless .357mag, super concealable! I think it was $300 less than a comperable Smith when I bought it.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #50
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I've got a SIG229 and it's great, the only .40 I can stand. As for .45, if you can afford it I'd recommend the HK 45C or whatever the new one is called. Otherwise I'd go with a 1911, it's slim enough to hide even though it's a bigger gun, you just need an IWB holster. As for revolvers, I have an older Taurus and I had quite a few problems with it before I got it working right, but I hear their QC is much better now.