Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #31
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I have an olympus stylus 850sw which is waterproof up to 10ft and drop proof up to 5ft. It runs about $225 at Brandsmart and their upgraded one is about $100 more. Takes pretty good pictures and it takes a fairly quick picture too. And I've destroyed 4 cameras (12 or so cell phones) and a lap top and this camera looks as good as the day I bought it.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #32
thunderex
Kneedragger

Moto: 2004 Aprilia Tuono

I'm switching wholesale to Panasonics. I have a Panny LX3 compact and I have a GH1 on order and I'll be selling my Canon 30D after a bit of comparison between the two. They make really nice compacts with WA on the wide side - usually around 28mm.
thunderex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #33
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderex View Post
I'm switching wholesale to Panasonics. I have a Panny LX3 compact and I have a GH1 on order and I'll be selling my Canon 30D after a bit of comparison between the two. They make really nice compacts with WA on the wide side - usually around 28mm.
Micro Four-Thirds (Panasonic and Olympus) spec looks like an interesting way to go, but I haven't had a chance to check out the LCD view finder. The concept seems ideal for many applications, like wedding and conference shooting where the lack of mirror slap is a big advantage, plus you get DSLR quality images. The Panasonic version (G1/GH1) seems to be the ideal application of the standard for advanced shooters, but rumour is that Olympus will be announcing a rangefinder style model (LCD display only; no viewfinder) in the next couple of months. That'll have the advantage of being more compact, especially when used with pancake lenses.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #34
R6Chick
I haven't had that in yrs

Moto: 2004 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Which model? Thanks.

Back in Fort Lauderdale to see it, it's the TL100 that's 12.2 MP.
R6Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #35
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Chick View Post
Back in Fort Lauderdale to see it, it's the TL100 that's 12.2 MP.
Thanks - will add that to the list.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #36
thunderex
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Micro Four-Thirds (Panasonic and Olympus) spec looks like an interesting way to go, but I haven't had a chance to check out the LCD view finder. The concept seems ideal for many applications, like wedding and conference shooting where the lack of mirror slap is a big advantage, plus you get DSLR quality images. The Panasonic version (G1/GH1) seems to be the ideal application of the standard for advanced shooters, but rumour is that Olympus will be announcing a rangefinder style model (LCD display only; no viewfinder) in the next couple of months. That'll have the advantage of being more compact, especially when used with pancake lenses.
Yeah. The GH1 is going to be perfect for me really. I was at a relative's graduation ceremony and shooting it with her Rebel XSi. While I don't particularly like the cheap feeling of Rebels I did like how light the camera was. I forgot what it was like because my 30D and especially my 17-55 2.8 IS lens is so heavy. I've come to realize that it's a bit of overkill for me. I have two L lenses and they're nice, but I don't think they're worth the money I paid for them for what I'm using them for.

We're about to have our first baby, so a smaller and lighter camera with a large sensor AND a fantastic movie mode is perfect for me. I think it's a camera that I'll be willing to use a lot more often then my DSLR rig, which is really the most important thing. Also, since I'm coming from a 30D and not something like a 5D, I'm not sure I'm going to be giving anything up in image quality. In fact, I think the GH1 is probably a better stills camera than a 30D. I'll do some comparisons when I get the GH1.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #37
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

You'll be giving up a bit in the high ISO noise area, but making up for it in tonality and sharpness. A flash would likely be a good idea.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #38
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I'd highly recommend a Sony I have a DSC-W80 (7.2MP), a few years old, its been dropped, gotten rained on, been carried around in the tail of the bike for tons of miles and in my pockets, and while it looks a little rough these days, it still takes pictures as well or better than many others I have played with. Its less than an inch wide and about 2 inches tall, perfect for portability. Obviously its got nothing on my DSLR, but I have no complaints about it!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:32 AM   #39
thunderex
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
You'll be giving up a bit in the high ISO noise area, but making up for it in tonality and sharpness. A flash would likely be a good idea.
Yeah, I'm sort of waiting to see what works with that model. There's a nice Metz flash that I've had my eye on.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #40
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

The July, 2009 issue of Consumer Reports tested 77 cameras. Subcompact, compact, and superzoom in the point-and-shoot cameras. Basic and advanced in the SLR's. The image quality on many seem to be equal, but the battery life varies from 130 shots to 500.

For a camera that fits in your pocket, they recommend the Nikon Coolpix S610 ($220). The best under $150 camera is the Pentax Optio M50. For flexible editing and composition, they liked the Canon Powershot G10 ($450).
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote