Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #31
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortness View Post
All good info on here. Like D said, I'm sort of in the same boat. My wife wants to ride as well, and has her M license, but she's only ridden a street bike for those few days at Femmoto last year when she took the MSF. I've been taking her out in the dirt just so she can practice shifting and stuff, but it's not the road.

When you get back D, we'll have to go up to Utah or something, buy a pair of 250's, and then take the girls out somewhere so they can get more comfortable. That's the best I can come up with. I'm not putting my wife on the streets here... it's seriously the equivalent of putting someone in front of a firing squad and hoping the guns misfire.

We can take the girls out on the dirtbikes too if you want. They're easy to ride.
I think they'll be some times where we take some rides around Vegas, just not too many. I do want her to be a little more comfortable on the bike before she heads right onto the track. In and around Aliante are some decent roads to practice starting from a stop and turning at the same time. There's plenty of streets around where we live for her to get practice. We really don't need to go all the way to Utah, but I'm down anyway. I think I shold just get back to Vegas and go from there. I'm going to get a hold of some TD hosts and see what they think.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 AM   #32
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
What do you guys think about her being on the track, even before riding on the street?
She should definitely not get on a track until she has some decent seat time in my opinion. Unless you are going to rent the whole track out for her by herself.

Even in the beginner group at the track days I do, which are very relaxed and have lots of passing restrictions, I couldn't even imagine trying to get out there when I had just started riding. It would have been very dangerous.

The most important thing would be for her to take her MSF, and then practice all of those techniques in parking lots and on non-crowded streets. Those first 2500 miles of street riding were invaluable in preparing me to go to the track for the first time.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:56 AM   #33
DLIT
Clit Commander

I think that's what the plan is gonna be. Ride street until she gets comfortable on it, then track it. By the time I did my first track day, I had been riding street for so long, I had no problems passing people. I actually got black-flagged my second session out for passing in a turn I couldn't pass in. She won't be anywhere near that, but at least she'll know how to handle the bike.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #34
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
For most couples:

Husband as Teacher, Critic, Instructor = Many nights on sofa.

Husband as Cheerleader and Riding Partner= Marital Bliss

It has been my experience that women do better with ANYBODY else as their Riding Coach/Instructor than a BF/Husband....too much emotional stuff at stake for both parties.

For the woman; It's "I KNOW I can DO this; Just Stop YELLING At Me!!!!"

For the Guy; "This is so SIMPLE, WHY can't you RELAX AND DO WHAT I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!"

This is NOT how it went with me. But I'm the exception. I'm a great teacher and spent countless hours with her. Plus parking lot and constantly tell her things as they happen when we ride. She started with reading, got her permit, parking lot lessons, more reading, more talk, parking lot, street, street, MSF, street, ct...

We all remember this?

Next came the MSF

And yes I played the supporting roll too

And we were off to riding adventures

But again, I have been to track school, and countless hours of safety driving at work. Enough to be an instructor at most places. Is the track a good idea? YES. Should you limit it there? No... but that is a case by case basis.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #35
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

She looks so happy on that bike. Good job GM. I hope I can get A just as interested.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #36
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

She is great on it. I just fear I will have to partially start all over again this year... she didn't have enough miles last year... so the winter will hurt her progress but if she takes it slow it will all come back.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 03-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #37
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

riding with your so is fucking awesome, have an so that can keep up on almost all the rides except when we get stupid =THE SHIT

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #38
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Oh yeah... I get almost gitty when riding behind her and watching her go thru the motions... its awesome!

Run Amsoil Product
Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #39
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
But again, I have been to track school, and countless hours of safety driving at work. Enough to be an instructor at most places. Is the track a good idea? YES. Should you limit it there? No... but that is a case by case basis.

My ex-husband was anything but helpful. Though, maybe he helped best by pissing me off and making me want to be better at it than him...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:56 AM   #40
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Oh yeah... I get almost gitty when riding behind her and watching her go thru the motions... its awesome!
I hear ya. She test-rode a 250 one day and she took off without letting me know. I had to get on my bike to catch her. It was just around the block. She didn't put a helmet on. I yelled at her about that shit. I forgave her though, due to her HUGE smile on her face. She's gonna love riding.