Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #31
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I worked in a graveled covered switchyard climbing large breakers and tranformers when I was with transmission. Working out in 100 degree heat outside for an entire shift was nothing to having to put on a banana suit and go Steam Generator jumping in the can at the nuke plant. I would much rather be outside than do what Cave does.
Yeah well I'll take a pic next time it's this temp and I'm crawling around on rail cars, wearing full 9oz FR nomex over top of jeans & t-shirt. Yeah that's 2 layers of clothing... complete bs.

But either way... this just in....

we are a bunch of pussies!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #32
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

The kind of fun that isn't. :/

KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #33
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Blah Blah Blah... come with me Cave... we'll go climb some gas tanks!
At least your outside where there is the possibility, however slight, of a breeze, and of course, there is the respite in the shade. The plant is everywhere a minimum of 115°F. Not to mention the equipment, can't lean on any unistrut or superstructure or even the concrete walls. Holds the heat worse than anything I know. Plus, if I have to dress out for a Contaminated Area. Thats a layer of clothing here in the plant I am wearing coveralls (they breathe better), and then a non breathing plastic suit with booties cotton gloves with rubber over boots and gloves and a hood. So quit your bitchin about climbin on tanks, your OUTSIDE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I worked in a graveled covered switchyard climbing large breakers and tranformers when I was with transmission. Working out in 100 degree heat outside for an entire shift was nothing to having to put on a banana suit and go Steam Generator jumping in the can at the nuke plant. I would much rather be outside than do what Cave does.
Trip knows what I am talkin bout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Yep, been there, done that. Whenever I hear people complain about the heat, I just remember Kuwait in the summer and I'm fine. Rode my bike yesterday in this heat, wearing full gear. Got looked at like I was crazy. Most people in the US don't know what true heat is like.
I was in Kuwait as well. 130° any where outside. However, I found that after about 10 to 15 min of a good sweat the breeze would come by and dry ya off and then it was at least tolerable. Its so hot in the plant with no breeze that you sweat from EVERYWHERE. And its real nice when it starts runnin down the crack of your ass. Great feelin there, love it like a stomach pump.

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #34
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Yeah well I'll take a pic next time it's this temp and I'm crawling around on rail cars, wearing full 9oz FR nomex over top of jeans & t-shirt. Yeah that's 2 layers of clothing... complete bs.

But either way... this just in....

we are a bunch of pussies!
Dude, I have been in the same situation when we worked on breakers in the switchyard. We had to put on the suits to climb in oil filled breakers that had been drained for us to inspect. It's hot, but it's not the same as a nuclear plant. It's just not even close.

Let me know when you are wearing 2 to 3 sets of clothing depending on radioactivity and standing next to a reactor that is somewhere around 600 degrees. This is in a nice small enclosed steel vessel which is incased in a not much bigger concrete structure. Our stay times are limited to minutes and we have to go in on the buddy system, because you sort of skip the dehydration phase and go straight to the "you're dead" phase just from the heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 07-22-2011 at 10:20 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #35
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
Something seriously wrong when DC is hotter than Phoenix.
This. My uncle lives in Phoenix. I had to call him and poke fun that we were hotter than he was. Honestly its not the heat that I dont like, its the humidity. I was out in Phoenix one time on break. We were out at the pool all day, no problem. My mom yelled out that we needed to come in for a break because heat stroke can happen faster out there. We laughed and said it wasnt that hot. She said that the current temperature was 111*. I had no problem. Its when you can cut the air with a goddamn butter knife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Fast forward 6 months:

"Is it Summer yet? I'm fucking freezing my nuts off."
I love winter. If I could ride a motorcycle I would have no reason to bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
It's 101F as I type this....it's been 100+ for 2...maybe 3 weeks straight?

The corn crop in this area is a total loss....the wheat crop was marginal, at best....the town I live in has mandatory water restrictions in place as the supply is dangerously low. Not sure how this story is gonna end if it doesn't rain, a lot, SOON.
Yea, corn is fucked up here. The massive ammounts of water in the spring delayed planting, and now the crop is being screwed because of the heat. You can barely find anything with good kernel size to eat. I dont think we have any current water restrictions, but we barely use outside water anyway.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:44 AM   #36
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
It's 101F as I type this....it's been 100+ for 2...maybe 3 weeks straight?

The corn crop in this area is a total loss....the wheat crop was marginal, at best....the town I live in has mandatory water restrictions in place as the supply is dangerously low. Not sure how this story is gonna end if it doesn't rain, a lot, SOON.
It's a dry crisp 78F here in the Los Angeles area.

KS and NE suck weather wise....you get tornados, tons of snow, cold ass temps in the winter, then in the summer it's hot as fucking hell.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:24 AM   #37
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
It's a dry crisp 78F here in the Los Angeles area.

KS and NE suck weather wise....you get tornados, tons of snow, cold ass temps in the winter, then in the summer it's hot as fucking hell.
Goddamn I cant wait to move out there...

I had some la friends tell me there is a 70/80/90 rule almost all year around. 70 by the beach, 80 downtown, 90 in the valley. Is that true?
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:51 AM   #38
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Goddamn I cant wait to move out there...

I had some la friends tell me there is a 70/80/90 rule almost all year around. 70 by the beach, 80 downtown, 90 in the valley. Is that true?
Yes in the summer...

In the winter months it's 50/60/70...but I remember one Christmas eve it got to 95F.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:23 AM   #39
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
At least your outside where there is the possibility, however slight, of a breeze, and of course, there is the respite in the shade. The plant is everywhere a minimum of 115°F. Not to mention the equipment, can't lean on any unistrut or superstructure or even the concrete walls. Holds the heat worse than anything I know. Plus, if I have to dress out for a Contaminated Area. Thats a layer of clothing here in the plant I am wearing coveralls (they breathe better), and then a non breathing plastic suit with booties cotton gloves with rubber over boots and gloves and a hood. So quit your bitchin about climbin on tanks, your OUTSIDE.

Trip knows what I am talkin bout.

I was in Kuwait as well. 130° any where outside. However, I found that after about 10 to 15 min of a good sweat the breeze would come by and dry ya off and then it was at least tolerable. Its so hot in the plant with no breeze that you sweat from EVERYWHERE. And its real nice when it starts runnin down the crack of your ass. Great feelin there, love it like a stomach pump.
He said he wears "booties".

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #40
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
He said he wears "booties".
I have had to wear 4 pairs of booties at once before when doing the motor walk downs. We ran into the can, inspected two motors, removed one set of booties before exiting the can. Ran into the can in another spot, inspected another motor, removed another bootie. Did that one more time and the last pair was removed when we left the radiological controlled area. Same goes for gloves, we have to wear additional pairs depending on the work we are doing.

You are also not allowed to have any food or drink in the RCA, so there is no hydrating til you are done working. You have to hydrate before you enter.

The hottest suit in the plant is the suit people like Caveman have to wear to rack breakers in and out. They have to wear forced air systems with them if they are in them for extended periods of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote