Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #31
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
My question is... how real is the savings on the power bill? If I'm going to save $3 a month and the tank unit will last 15+ years, it's going to be hard to justify the price difference... I could give a fuck about 'going green' and I never run out of hot water as it is, but mine's going on 15 years old at this point so it's a purchase that's coming... probably sooner than later.
I'm figuring it saves $10 a month in gas. At a $120/year savings it will take 2-3 years for the one I have to pay for the difference between that and a comparable tank style water heater, and thats not including maintenance that it might need. The mid grade/mid priced tankless heaters are in the $7-800 range, while the mid grade/mid priced tank style water heaters are $5-600.

I totally agree with you, i could give a shit about being green, I dont even recycle, I just want to know what the real world $$$ savings are. But if you are going to replace your tank already it might be worth it, and it is a nice selling point if you will be selling a house soon. I would never go out and replace the water heater unless it needed replacing, the real world dollars are just not there. in fact the only reason I have one now is because teh house came with it, my rental house in NJ will be needing a new water heater in 5 years and I do expect to get a tank heater.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #32
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I'm figuring it saves $10 a month in gas. At a $120/year savings it will take 2-3 years for the one I have to pay for the difference between that and a comparable tank style water heater, and thats not including maintenance that it might need. The mid grade/mid priced tankless heaters are in the $7-800 range, while the mid grade/mid priced tank style water heaters are $5-600.

I totally agree with you, i could give a shit about being green, I dont even recycle, I just want to know what the real world $$$ savings are. But if you are going to replace your tank already it might be worth it, and it is a nice selling point if you will be selling a house soon. I would never go out and replace the water heater unless it needed replacing, the real world dollars are just not there. in fact the only reason I have one now is because teh house came with it, my rental house in NJ will be needing a new water heater in 5 years and I do expect to get a tank heater.
Yeah, fuck your tennants and their power bill... I'm with you... Ours will probably start spewing boiling hot water into the air and all over everything in garage within the next couple years... maybe by then the prices will have come down a bit...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote