Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #31
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
I would think in the eyes of the cops, a chase is a chase is a chase. He is evading, no other easier way to state it than that. As far as if that were my kids ( I don't have any but I'll reply the best I can) I'll sit here and say that yea it serves them right, but in reality I would probably be upset, with both the cops for the tackle and my kid for being a dumbass and running.

My thinking when it comes to police is what I would say, is probably somewhat old school. I haven't had a lot of police run in's but when I have, I've never had a problem. I give them respect, I don't expect to get out of tickets by being nice, but if it does then hey great.
I hear what you are saying and I am not excusing the kid for running but I still think that is ridiculous...

Okay, here's my similar story. Some of you have heard it before. I was out riding my 'Busa and clowning a little bit. I came up on an intersection in the hood, where there were a couple cops sitting in their cars chit/chatting and blocking most of the road. Of course, I could get through on my bike. As I passed them, I gave them a short burst of my Yosh race only, single exit exhaust and went on my way. Well, apparently "Starsky" didn't appreciate it and jumped into pursuit. I had gone maybe another 2 blocks when I noticed him behind me as a I made a left turn. So I completed my turn and stopped next to the curb to wait for him. With my bike turned off btw...

This dumbass blows through the stop sign and power slid his Crown Vic right into my bike knocking both it and me 10-15 feet. He gets out of his car with his gun drawn and starts screaming at me to show my hands while I'm laying on the ground with a jacked up wrist, a cracked rib and a 500 lb bike laying partially on top of me. Cagney, the female cop whom he was talking to at the intersection, shows up, assesses the situation, and pulls Mr Testosterone off to the side. Of course, they return with a somewhat different demeanor, help me up and call an amberlamps.

In true cop fashion, they tried to modify the story to make themselves look like heroes but unfortunately, for them. This was August and anyone with any hoodrat experience will tell you that the "porch monkeys" were out in force that afternoon. Which gave me an abundance of witnesses. Starsky was fired and Cagney was suspended for filing a false report. The city of Grand Rapids was "happy" to pay for the repairs on my bike, my medical bills and almost a month off work. I probably should have sued but I'm not that type.

Anyway, I could go on for pages with "bad cop" stories. I know that I have a history of turning "everything" into a race issue but honestly, I do believe that there are two distinct points of view when it comes to the police depending on where you live, for the residents AND the police. I can't tell you the number of times that I have personally been harassed or witnessed police harassment. It's a whole different scenario from living in the hood to living in the suburbs. In the 'burbs the police are your friends but in the hood...not so much.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #32
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

I'll say you got me on that one.

I agree with you that enviroment does play a huuuuuge part on how police will react to a situation. They become callised to their enviroment and the people they deal with and then every situation becomes a repeat of a bad one the night before, which in reality is sad. It would be great if police would start everyday as a new day and let the past be the past, but you and I know that will never happen. Unfortunately.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #33
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
I'll say you got me on that one.

I agree with you that enviroment does play a huuuuuge part on how police will react to a situation. They become callised to their enviroment and the people they deal with and then every situation becomes a repeat of a bad one the night before, which in reality is sad. It would be great if police would start everyday as a new day and let the past be the past, but you and I know that will never happen. Unfortunately.
True... I wonder if they could alleviate some of this problem by rotating the cops more.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #34
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
True... I wonder if they could alleviate some of this problem by rotating the cops more.
The situation could allievate itself if said hoodrats would behave themselves. Any you wonder why cops profile.

Please.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #35
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
The situation could allievate itself if said hoodrats would behave themselves. Any you wonder why cops profile.

Please.
Justifying the misbehavior of one group based on the behavior of another?

Reasoning (and lawmaking, peacekeeping, and freedom) Fail.

Please.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #36
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

Please.
That's true to an extent...I guess. I'm not sure that it's fair to judge an entire neighborhood based on the actions of a few but if you say it is then I guess it must be. Of course, I'm ASSuming that you're not stupid enough to believe that the entire population of my area growing up were criminals...even though we were all treated that way. Guilty until proven innocent...

I don't know you or what you've been through in your life but judging by your posts in the past, I don't think that you have it too terribly... I wonder what you'd do if you were dropped on the streets of Detroit without a job, money or a place to live for a few months. I wonder how long your high minded code of ethics and your heavy handed judgmental attitude would last? A day, a week, heck, maybe just a few hours... It's easy to judge when your biggest problem is deciding which $1,000 set of tires you're going to put on your 'Vette during the next track day.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #37
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

BTW I don't excuse anyone's behavior in the least... I found a way out and they could too. I understand that but to listen to people whom have never had a day's worth of real hardship act as if they know what it's like...

Anyway, it's a terrible cycle really. Yes there are criminals in the hood. Yes they do bad things. Yes it's understandable that the cops don't "like" them and treat them like trash. Fine. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop there. The cops treat everyone in the neighborhood like trash which breeds resentment. For the police and for the law they represent. I honestly hate the police, seriously, my first reaction is one of fear and loathing when I see a cop. I'm not a criminal. Aside from some minor adolescent bs crimes and a couple fights, I have a pretty clean record. The attitude becomes one of, "if I'm going to be punished, I may as well commit the crime". The police make it very hard for someone that is trying to better themselves to make it and to keep their attitude straight. Quite frankly, crime does pay and it's a hell of a lot easier than working 3 jobs (which I have) and going to school.

Oh well, I know that many of you will never even try to see the other side of the coin. That the numbers speak for themselves, 50% of prison inmates are black while only 13% of the population is. I understand how that looks from the outside, I really do. If I could come up with a solution I would.

I still think that the cop was over the line tackling that kid regardless of how many other sport bike riders have taken off... Heck, by that standard, the cops should treat EVERY sport bike stop as a potential runner and come out with guns drawn, ready to pounce!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #38
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

You have a valid point. Economics plays a huge part of any setting. However, there is making a living vs. getting paid. I'd love to see hoodrats get dropped off in Iowa. Would they suddenly get work ethic or see a golden opportunity to steal from the local yokels.

Goes both ways my friend.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #39
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Oh and if you'd like to play the numbers...with only 13% of the population, blacks comprise 30% of the military. So not only are we the most criminal but I guess that we are the most patriotic as well... Of course there might be another conclusion that could be drawn from those numbers... I wonder what it is?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #40
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
You have a valid point. Economics plays a huge part of any setting. However, there is making a living vs. getting paid. I'd love to see hoodrats get dropped off in Iowa. Would they suddenly get work ethic or see a golden opportunity to steal from the local yokels.

Goes both ways my friend.
Ah good point, well played. Here's what I think. I think that there would be a surprising parity in the percentage of "haves" that turn to crime on the streets of Detroit and "have nots" that become legitimate citizens if given the opportunity to do so in Iowa. You may not believe this but I grew up with some hard core criminals, both friends and family. I can't tell you how many times I've seen men who would shot you down in cold blood for $1, cry honest tears wishing they could find a way out. Seriously.

You know for some reason Australia comes to mind...