Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #31
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Because the "alternatives" really aren't alternatives?

Look at the Cape Wind fiasco. It isn't really an "alternative" as it relies on government subsidies to build, tax breaks to operate, and tax breaks to the customer to make it economically feasible. Even with all that it is still more expensive than conventional power. With that their power will still cost an estimated 15% or 20% more than conventional. Without that it would be somewhere over double the cost.
yes but why is that technology so expensive that it requires subsidies to build, tax breaks to operate, and tax breaks to the customer to make it economically feasible?

Quote:
That isn't because of "big oil", it is because the technology has yet to, and may never, reach the point of being a true alternative
I maintain that "big oil" holds such a significant portion of the market that it can price alternatives out of the market.

I could be wrong but that's my opinion.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #32
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
yes but why is that technology so expensive that it requires subsidies to build, tax breaks to operate, and tax breaks to the customer to make it economically feasible?

I maintain that "big oil" holds such a significant portion of the market that it can price alternatives out of the market.

I could be wrong but that's my opinion.
Big oil has nothing to do with the process of building, from my example, wind turbines. It isn't mom and pop shops building them either. GE and Siemens build a lot of them. Do you see big oil muscling them around? I'll tell you one thing, if that could happen neither GE or Siemens would be building them. Oil is currently more efficient than wind turbines. That isn't big oil manipulating the market, that is the limitations of wind turbine technology.

As for pricing anyone out of the market crude oil began the 2000s at $23 per barrel and began the 2010s at $75 per barrel (with a peak in July 2008 over $135 per barrel). That is how you price alternatives in to the market, not out.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #33
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
As for pricing anyone out of the market crude oil began the 2000s at $23 per barrel and began the 2010s at $75 per barrel (with a peak in July 2008 over $135 per barrel). That is how you price alternatives in to the market, not out.
sure but whenever alternative energy sources start to gain traction, amazingly enough the price per a barrel of oil drops again. that's some master manipulating if you ask me.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #34
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
sure but whenever alternative energy sources start to gain traction, amazingly enough the price per a barrel of oil drops again. that's some master manipulating if you ask me.
Alternatively, if there really was some master manipulation plan why allow the price to get high enough for alternative energy advocates to gain any traction in the first place? Oil getting over $100 per barrel gives those advocates traction, even if that price doesn't hold up. Also can you think of many other products that are 3 times more expensive to buy today than they were in 2000? Don't get me wrong, I'll agree that OPEC is designed to do nothing other than manipulate the market. The problem is they aren't good enough at it to do what you are suggesting.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #35
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Besides, are you really saying that you are angry with a company being profitable? Big Ice Cream is very profitable and it has effectively kept frozen yogurt from making any significant gains on it's market... Are you mad at them too? Perhaps you'd like to share how Edy's bought a secret formula that would have made yogurt cultures grow 3X faster but purposely kept it off the market...

Maybe alternative transportation is so expensive and is moving so slow because we don't want it... We aren't willing to give up our hp... At least I'm not! They could sell Prius' for $10,000 and I wouldn't buy one!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #36
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
The Titanic was said to be unsinkable. That kind of thinking had cause people their lives. They need to be prepared for the worst. Having a plan in place and the gear to fix a problem like this just in case is way cheaper then what this is going to cost them.

James
From the link that Homeslice posted, it would be like calling the Titanic unsinkable if it sailed out of Southampton with a 6 foot bathroom sink plug closing a hole in her bow.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #37
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Besides, are you really saying that you are angry with a company being profitable? Big Ice Cream is very profitable and it has effectively kept frozen yogurt from making any significant gains on it's market... Are you mad at them too? Perhaps you'd like to share how Edy's bought a secret formula that would have made yogurt cultures grow 3X faster but purposely kept it off the market...

Maybe alternative transportation is so expensive and is moving so slow because we don't want it... We aren't willing to give up our hp... At least I'm not! They could sell Prius' for $10,000 and I wouldn't buy one!
it's certainly a possibility and, like I said, my opinion is just my opinion

I'll gladly give up horsepower in my car (hell, my winter vehicle is a freakin' Kia ).

BTW, yogurt is a dairy product so the same companies that market icecream also market frozen yogurt

Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #38
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
The fact as Apoc stated is that this shouldn't have happened or it was a near impossibility. So unless you only walk to work and use solar everything, you really have no leg to stand on. It isn't like you don't buy oil/gas so you can blame BP for a spill that would only affect the enviroment (and not the availability of the product).
Is that kinda how you can't bitch about animal cruelty if you eat meat?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #39
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
The sky is blue.

The sea is blue.

Therefore sky = sea

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #40
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
The sky is blue.

The sea is blue.

Therefore sky = sea
you guys are more articulate than I.