Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #31
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I currently go to college in Texas with resident status. I needed to show proof of the address where I live - with more than a driver's license. They do not accept a driver's license or ID card because they are valid for 8 years. I needed to show a water bill, insurance bill, etc. that has my name on it. For someone under 18, their high school transcript with address is sufficient.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #32
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Thanks for the info.
You're welcome.

They did require a SSN for me [I became an active studen almost 3 years ago]. And, my daughter registered last week, they required a SSN for her. Granted, since we both HAVE that to provide, there was no extra commentary in our situation. I cannot tell you what they actually say if it isn't provided.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #33
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
How do you get into any university?
Can you remember the admissions process.

right now it would be helpful if the youngin on the board piped up.
You do not need a social security number to go to college nor is lack of a SS indicative of whether you are legal or not.

Example
http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/resources/forms.html
I understand that non citizens don't have SS numbers but when I was in school they just used their tax ID number as an alternative (because they were legal). It wasn't a big deal like Ms. Rodriguez makes it out to be. Because she makes it out to be a big deal I am making the assumption she doesn't have an alternative.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #34
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I understand that non citizens don't have SS numbers but when I was in school they just used their tax ID number as an alternative (because they were legal). It wasn't a big deal like Ms. Rodriguez makes it out to be. Because she makes it out to be a big deal I am making the assumption she doesn't have an alternative.
I'm sure the big deal for her is that she finished college which I believe is a big deal for anyone. She also expresses gratitude for the in-state tuition.

" In 2001, Texas lawmakers passed a law allowing illegal immigrants to qualify for much cheaper in-state tuition"

Quote:
'It's a success story because I went into college as an illegal immigrant,"
- Rodriguez

"She says without in-state tuition, she'd never have been able to get a degree."

Quote:
'It was so special it makes me want to cry right now, again,” she said. "With my situation there were plenty of times that I was like, ‘I want to dropout, I can't take it. This is too much for me."
She says without in-state tuition, she'd never have been able to get a degree.

Quote:
'It was so special it makes me want to cry right now, again,” she said. "With my situation there were plenty of times that I was like, ‘I want to dropout, I can't take it. This is too much for me."
"In her final semester, Rodriguez got her green card -- a process as tough as school, she said. She heard the talk from some Aggies who wondered why she was there at all."

Quote:
"I'm glad I never listened to them. I'm glad I never paid attention to those harsh comments,"

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 05-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #35
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I'm sure the big deal for her is that she finished college which I believe is a big deal for anyone. She also expresses gratitude for the in-state tuition.

" In 2001, Texas lawmakers passed a law allowing illegal immigrants to qualify for much cheaper in-state tuition"

- Rodriguez

"She says without in-state tuition, she'd never have been able to get a degree."

She says without in-state tuition, she'd never have been able to get a degree.

"In her final semester, Rodriguez got her green card -- a process as tough as school, she said. She heard the talk from some Aggies who wondered why she was there at all."
The "big deal" I was talking about was in reference to her lack of a SS number. As far as the emotional arguement it doesn't hold much sway with me.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #36
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
The "big deal" I was talking about was in reference to her lack of a SS number. As far as the emotional argument it doesn't hold much sway with me.
The problem is that there is no emphasis or any indication that she is making it a big deal in that comment.
It was an anecdote that went along with the the "I went into college as an illegal immigrant" statement." Its known as conversation filler.

If you have the full interview where the comment about SS is made to be a big deal then please post it.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #37
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
The problem is that there is no emphasis or any indication that she is making it a big deal in that comment.
It was an anecdote that went along with the the "I went into college as an illegal immigrant" statement." Its known as conversation filler.

If you have the full interview where the comment about SS is made to be a big deal then please post it.
I am read more in to the statement than you did. Either way the girl's entire contribution to the story was an anectode designed to demonstrate something the author couldn't or wouldn't do with facts. Standing on its own Ms. Rodriguez's story is meaningless.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #38
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
I am read more in to the statement than you did. Either way the girl's entire contribution to the story was an anectode designed to demonstrate something the author couldn't or wouldn't do with facts. Standing on its own Ms. Rodriguez's story is meaningless.
The law was changed in 2001 and Ms. Rodriguez's story was the personal testimony the reporter used. Rodriquez's story is not meaningless because it gives the reader a case study to go with the subject of the article.

With illegal immigration a big topic lately, the article is timely and relevant. the follow up on the 2001 law and using Rodriquez's testimony gives the reader more insight into an "in demand" topic.

The fact is that there are people who are taking advantage of the 2001 law and Rodriquez's story is the evidence supporting it.

You sir are being dickish on a simple article. Take it for what it is and stop letting the force control guide you in your interpretation of the articles intent.

UNCLENCH!!!!

Quote:
Old 05-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #39
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
The law was changed in 2001 and Ms. Rodriguez's story was the personal testimony the reporter used. Rodriquez's story is not meaningless because it gives the reader a case study to go with the subject of the article.

With illegal immigration a big topic lately, the article is timely and relevant. the follow up on the 2001 law and using Rodriquez's testimony gives the reader more insight into an "in demand" topic.

The fact is that there are people who are taking advantage of the 2001 law and Rodriquez's story is the evidence supporting it.

You sir are being dickish on a simple article. Take it for what it is and stop letting the force control guide you in your interpretation of the articles intent.

UNCLENCH!!!!
I understand that this is now legal in Texas. I still don't think it makes sense.

All Ms. Rodriguez's story does is demonstrate that the change benefitted Ms. Rodriguez. This is a technique politicians have jumped on as well. Using a single example only demonstrates something for that single example. It isn't used to show evidence of anything. It is used to put a human face on a policy or law. It is meant to be an emotional plea rather than a factual one.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #40
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
I understand that this is now legal in Texas. I still don't think it makes sense.

All Ms. Rodriguez's story does is demonstrate that the change benefitted Ms. Rodriguez. This is a technique politicians have jumped on as well. Using a single example only demonstrates something for that single example. It isn't used to show evidence of anything. It is used to put a human face on a policy or law. It is meant to be an emotional plea rather than a factual one.
Its a newspaper article. People want to hear the human element to the story otherwise they wouldn't buy the paper.

Quote: