Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #31
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Actually from what I've been told by people on-site, rather than read in the media, most of those people were there to try and get into the event. About 1000 people showed up for what was supposed to be 400 spots (as stated in the article). Cancelling the event was a preemptive and cowardly move on the part of the university. There was no threat, unless it was one of hearing damage.

Regarding the person who pulled the fire alarm; our standards of academic conduct would, in all likelihood, have had such a person tossed off campus and forfeiting all fees paid if it was a student.
If you were there for the event, why disrupt it enough to get it canceled before it actually happens? Not a very bright move on their part.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #32
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
If you were there for the event, why disrupt it enough to get it canceled before it actually happens? Not a very bright move on their part.
The only reason why they "disrupted" the event was because either police, or university staff lost their bottle.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #33
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Additional information: Apparently Coulter is going to file a Human Rights complaint against the Provost who wrote the letter

Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #34
Trip
Hold mah beer!

so what kind of hate speech laws do you guys have up there?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #35
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
so what kind of hate speech laws do you guys have up there?
Pretty much the same as yours (free, except for the "fire in a crowded theatre" exception), with the addition of "hate speech" laws that on occasion I find rather juvenile. This is a good breakdown:

http://www.media-awareness.ca/englis...te_a_crime.cfm

The issue isn't necessarily with the laws, as it is with their application. It's the sort of thing that requires a light touch, only singling out the sort of thing that actually causes harm, or is intended to incite that sort of action.

For example I don't think that Holocaust-denier Ernst Zundel's crap meets the test, but he has been charged for his stupidity. I rather like seeing my unrepentant bigots out in the open, rather than hiding their small-mindedness behind a mask of civility.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #36
Trip
Hold mah beer!

I do too, I hate hate speech laws. Either you are for or against free speech. You can't say you have free speech, but you can't say this because it may offend someone. Ghey!

I can understand panic speech getting you in trouble, like the fire thing though.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #37
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
I do too, I hate hate speech laws. Either you are for or against free speech. You can't say you have free speech, but you can't say this because it may offend someone. Ghey!

I can understand panic speech getting you in trouble, like the fire thing though.
I consider some of what is considered "hate speech" to fall into that category. For instance if you have a website that targets a visible minority, suggesting that you not hire them or otherwise deny them their rights, well then that's skating the edge; maybe, maybe not. Suggest that they be physically hurt and you've just fallen off the edge of the world.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:09 AM   #38
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I'll just skip to the part where you called me childish because you have no actual merit behind your argument.

Freedom for everyone Trip, not just the ones you agree with.
You are not understanding what he is saying. First you do not have Freedom of Speech. If you did, you could say "All black people leave Walmart now" where ever you wish, but you cannot. The same holds true here. When you begin to threathen and cause disruption, your freedom can and will be quickly extingushed.

Personally, I don't care for Ann Cutler, but this just goes to show how the Liberals tend to brainwash college students to automatically "hate" conservatives.

Also, is Canada now so pussified as to get offended when someone says "terrorist are only Muslim"? Can you give me one example of a non-Muslim terrorist? There is truth in that statement because it STATISTICALLY is true, even though it isn't PC.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 03-25-2010 at 12:23 AM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #39
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Having 3 times the number that an auditorium will hold show up for a Coulter talk doesn't necessarily imply that those college students "hate" her. Even if it did, it wouldn't imply that they hate conservatives; just her. She's a loud-mouthed idiot.

As to your comment about all terrorists being Muslims, perhaps most are. Neither are all terrorists Muslin, nor are all Muslims terrorists. Look up the LRA.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #40
shmike
Follower

I heard they called her "honky" and spit on her.