Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #31
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post

Of course they do.

Orange is "safe" mode for Homeland Security. It means "we could be hit by a terror attack at any moment, but don't worry, we're on it."

If they stayed at red and nothing happened, people would be pissed. If they stayed at yellow, and something happened, people would be even more pissed.

The entire system exists to inform the people who are the least prepared to do anything about it.

Us.

JC
As I posted above the threat level moves around. It hasn't just stayed at orange.

The public in general may be the least prepared, but they are the ones in the best position to do something about it.

In the early 90s in England you didn't leave your bags unattended and if you saw an unattended bag you reported it. That was because unattended bags at that point had a nasty habit of blowing up. The first line of defense against this was the public.

Fortunately (due to the lack of incidents) Americans have not had to develop this vigilance. If the situation changes I hope we are capable of adapting.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #32
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I just ate an orange. Does that count?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #33
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:

Of course they do.

Orange is "safe" mode for Homeland Security. It means "we could be hit by a terror attack at any moment, but don't worry, we're on it."

If they stayed at red and nothing happened, people would be pissed. If they stayed at yellow, and something happened, people would be even more pissed.

The entire system exists to inform the people who are the least prepared to do anything about it.

Us.

JC
DHS was created just so the gov't could act like it was doing something new.
ALL of DHS's duties were already being performed by other agencies. If those agencies had had their shit together, or at least been given the opportunity to get their shit together, another agency wouldn't have been necessary.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #34
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Um you are the one that called Homeland Security "ghey" are you not? That shows a complete disrespect for their work and total a unappreciative attitude for their sacrifice. .
Sacrifice? We're not talking about the military, we're talking about the DHS, and specifically the TSA, since this is about airports. I don't know where you get off calling me anti-military when that was never the topic.

And a true car enthusiast would want to know what their oil pressure is at any given time.
Pretty much every aftermarket gauge allows you to see the pressure move up and down in response to your revs. But most OEM gauges don't. They're either too slow to react, or just sit in one spot all the time. Ghey.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #35
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
As I posted above the threat level moves around. It hasn't just stayed at orange.

The public in general may be the least prepared, but they are the ones in the best position to do something about it.

In the early 90s in England you didn't leave your bags unattended and if you saw an unattended bag you reported it. That was because unattended bags at that point had a nasty habit of blowing up. The first line of defense against this was the public.

Fortunately (due to the lack of incidents) Americans have not had to develop this vigilance. If the situation changes I hope we are capable of adapting.
I looked at your link to the DHS timeline, and with a few exceptions, most of the threats were so vague, they were of no value to the average citizen. "We received intelligence that terrorists may be planning attacks somewhere in the US, around the holidays". OK, so, what, you want I should wear a hat today? What am I supposed to do with that information? Tell me what the fucking guy looks like, and I'll keep an eye out for him.

I think Homeslice is right. They have to look like they're doing something, so they made a chart. I'm not discounting the others measures they're taking, but a chart? Charts scare me. In my experience, when people have no fucking clue what to do next, they start making charts.

I don't disagree that the average American has a low degree of situational awareness. This isn't Israel, or the UK in the 70's. Shit, we can even concentrate on driving down the freeway without fucking it up. All the charts in the world aren't going to make up for that.

JC

Last edited by askmrjesus; 09-27-2009 at 10:59 PM..
askmrjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #36
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I looked at your link to the DHS timeline, and with a few exceptions, most of the threats were so vague, they were of no value to the average citizen. "We received intelligence that terrorists may be planning attacks somewhere in the US, around the holidays". OK, so, what, you want I should wear a hat today? What am I supposed to do with that information? Tell me what the fucking guy looks like, and I'll keep an eye out for him.

I think Homeslice is right. They have to look like they're doing something, so they made a chart. I'm not discounting the others measures they're taking, but a chart? Charts scare me. In my experience, when people have no fucking clue what to do next, they start making charts.

I don't disagree that the average American has a low degree of situational awareness. This isn't Israel, or the UK in the 70's. Shit, we can even concentrate on driving down the freeway without fucking it up. All the charts in the world aren't going to make up for that.

JC
So what should they do? Nothing? The public demands some sort of "visual" so they give it to us. What would satisfy you guys? What is your solution HS? How would you deal with this situation? Instead of standing aside and pointing fingers and calling people who are at least trying to keep us safe "ghey", why don't YOU do something?

JC I agree that the chart system may be flawed but what would you suggest instead? You realize that we are the reason for it don't you? We want to be "unaware", we don't want the dirty details, and we sure as hell don't want to have to actually DO anything. Listen to the complaints here about water bottles, etc.

I'm not saying that they are perfect or anything but unless you have a better plan, it's the best that we have to work with right now. Again, I understand that this is a flawed argument but since there haven't been any more attacks, they must be doing something right.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:17 AM   #37
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I have a tiger repelling rock to sell you tigger..

There are no tigers around, so it must be working.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #38
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

crazy! it's not like they arrested 2 people this week trying to blow chit up or anything......sec. in the US airports still suck...

sec. was tighter in eur. in the mid 90's when i was over there........

dammed if you do and dammed if ya don't......
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.

Last edited by RACER X; 09-28-2009 at 07:49 AM..
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #39
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
JC I agree that the chart system may be flawed but what would you suggest instead? You realize that we are the reason for it don't you? We want to be "unaware", we don't want the dirty details, and we sure as hell don't want to have to actually DO anything. Listen to the complaints here about water bottles, etc.

I'm not saying that they are perfect or anything but unless you have a better plan, it's the best that we have to work with right now. Again, I understand that this is a flawed argument but since there haven't been any more attacks, they must be doing something right.
I don't need a better plan, we already have one. It's been five or so years since the 9/11 commission finished it's report, yet we have yet to implement some of their most basic recommendations, (I'm not typing it all out for you, go look it up).

If you think a chart is the "best thing we have to work with right now", you are woefully uninformed.

JC
Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #40
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:

If charts scare you what happens when you see a powerpoint, a complete loss of bladder control?

Part of the reason for the threat level is for the public. It is designed to drive situational awareness among the public. The public has not responded as hoped. It is also designed to cover the government's collective ass. If an attack happens they can point to the threat level as evidence that they tried to warn the public. On both these fronts I don't think it has been particularly effective.

It is also designed to be the civilian agency equivalent of the DEFCON system for the military. Government agencies are supposed to set their preparation, readiness, and security procedures based upon the threat level. The military has different procedures based upon different defense readiness conditions. Civilian governmental agencies are supposed to do the same based upon the different threat levels. I don't know how successful that has been.

Quote:

JC
As I said above, part of the reason for the threat level was to drive situational awareness in the public. It hasn't worked. Is that a failing of the system or the public? I would say both.

The only reason this isn't Israel or the UK with the IRA is terrorists have so far chosen not to go that route. It has nothing to do with either the government or the public. The general public thinks they are safe, which has created much of the apathy about security. If the public no longer feels safe I suspect the apathy will disappear.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote