Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #31
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Tough choice. You need both. The xbox because it is a far superior gaming machine, better online play (even though its not free), better dashboard and all.... but you need the ps3 to play while you wait for your xbox to be repaired or save up to buy a new one because they break more than a union worker.
That's exactly why I bought a PS3, I never wanted a PS3 but after the third breakdown, I went shopping. I won't say that the XBox is "better" for gaming, nor will I agree that the dashboard is better... I kinda like the PS3 set-up. I also like the ability to hook up virtually any USB device and some blue tooth devices to the PS3. BTW I'm the one that mentioned surfing the net, I have a blue tooth keyboard so it isn't too bad but I agree that my PC is worlds better. It does make an adequate back up net roamer imho.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #32
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrinson View Post
The 360 does have parental controls that allow you to mute everyone except for the people on the childs friends list. I can't say whether the PS3 has that or not.

I'll second the motion of finding out what their friends have. If you go with the 360, be prepared to spend $50 a year on an xbox live gold account. In my opinion it's worth every penny, but it's a dealbreaker for some folks.

If you don't have an HD television, you won't see any benefits from watching blu-ray movies on the PS3, and some text in the games on both consoles may be hard to read. If you *do* have an HD television, the PS3 is one of the best blu-ray players you can buy.

In my house, which is probably very different from your situation, here is how it breaks down.
The 360 gets all the games, my friends are mostly on 360s so that's where I go. The 360 also has an excellent netflix application that streams their instant queue movies and shows to the tv.
The PS3 is there to play the blu-ray discs I rent from Netflix and to play the occasional PS3 exclusive game, (heavenly sword, uncharted, little big planet)
The Wii collects dust...

somebody mentioned that you can browse the internet on the PS3, while that is technically true, I've found it painful at best. Save the net for the PC.
i have an external hd formatted to FAT32 which does a great job of quickly transferring movies and downloaded races etc to the ps3. some of the video clip options that came in recently are fucking amazing. i love the ability to hit square and chop the movie up into time based thumbnails.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #33
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

The new 360's dont have the same issue as the older ones...So stop listening to that Propaganda Bullshit...I've had mine for well over 2 years and its worked FLAWLESS...and its not in a "Super well ventilated mumbo jumbo spot"

It's all preference, with the Box you can link a netflix account to it and stream movies right off the Xbox onto your TV which is def a feature that SHITS on PS3...and the Dashboard is super easy to navigate and I think the game collection is bigger/better than PS3...And it turns out to be less than a dollar a day to have Xbox live...if you cant afford a dollar a day then you shouldn't be playing video games in the first place.

Blu Ray players are cheaper than the PS3 nowadays anyway...so if you want the better system go with microsoft...Bill gates Dumped a ASSload of money into this portion of his company. I love my Xbox I love the party system they created and how you can go into a game and play but talk to your friends who are playing on completely diff games. And also if you ARE playing the same game it gives you an edge if you play games like Modern warefare where if you die you can still talk to your team and help them out in firefights and shit.

Anyway...Enough banter.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #34
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
The new 360's dont have the same issue as the older ones...So stop listening to that Propaganda Bullshit...I've had mine for well over 2 years and its worked FLAWLESS...and its not in a "Super well ventilated mumbo jumbo spot"

It's all preference, with the Box you can link a netflix account to it and stream movies right off the Xbox onto your TV which is def a feature that SHITS on PS3...and the Dashboard is super easy to navigate and I think the game collection is bigger/better than PS3...And it turns out to be less than a dollar a day to have Xbox live...if you cant afford a dollar a day then you shouldn't be playing video games in the first place.

Blu Ray players are cheaper than the PS3 nowadays anyway...so if you want the better system go with microsoft...Bill gates Dumped a ASSload of money into this portion of his company. I love my Xbox I love the party system they created and how you can go into a game and play but talk to your friends who are playing on completely diff games. And also if you ARE playing the same game it gives you an edge if you play games like Modern warefare where if you die you can still talk to your team and help them out in firefights and shit.

Anyway...Enough banter.
that assumes i want to pay for movies and other content :P
TWF Post whore #6
Old 10-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #35
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
i have an external hd formatted to FAT32 which does a great job of quickly transferring movies and downloaded races etc to the ps3. some of the video clip options that came in recently are fucking amazing. i love the ability to hit square and chop the movie up into time based thumbnails.
I forgot about that! Not to mention that PS3 also streams movies plus in my case, I can transfer them to my PSP and watch them remotely. Oh and I can even play my PS3 remotely using my PSP. I don't know but it always seems that the PS3 has a ton of features that most people are unaware of...
Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #36
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:

Anyway...Enough banter.
I brother has had at least 1 die (Xbox) in the last year or so. And I believe he has 1 or 2 friends who had them die in that time.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #37
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

Anyway...Enough banter.

Yea don't listen to THEIR propaganda, listen to MINE!!!! I can talk to my friends too...it's called a phone! Besides since when do gingers HAVE friends?!? That's exactly what I need, some ass-clown not playing, trying to talk to me over the headset while I'm trying to play! Yea that would be great!!! I mean if you're using online game play as a social networking tool then by all means get an XBox... I always wanted a butt load of 8-13 year old "friends"....
Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #38
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
that assumes i want to pay for movies and other content :P
It also ignores the fact that PS3 also streams movies from PSN.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #39
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I brother has had at least 1 die (Xbox) in the last year or so. And I believe he has 1 or 2 friends who had them die in that time.

James
Who knew that Sixxxer was Bill Gates "red headed step-child"...
Old 10-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #40
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I forgot about that! Not to mention that PS3 also streams movies plus in my case, I can transfer them to my PSP and watch them remotely. Oh and I can even play my PS3 remotely using my PSP. I don't know but it always seems that the PS3 has a ton of features that most people are unaware of...
you said it man! ive been preaching to the deaf since launch day. its the same deal with the psp vs ds. btw, have you hacked yours yet? i run 5.00 m33 and i'll never go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
It also ignores the fact that PS3 also streams movies from PSN.
thats true, still not quite cost effective vs redbox though. im betting the prices will come down when blockbuster finishes dying. maybe not to the dollar a pop of redbox but at least close enough to that dollar plus the fuel spent to get there and back.

hoping sony updates our flash drivers and gives us some more codec support soon. its a bitch watching some things via lappy and i dont have the space or processor power for mass transcoding anymore
TWF Post whore #6