Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #31
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Damn, sucks to hear that. Hope you can make it without a bike, I know it was absolutely painful for me. But nice to hear you're looking at trying to get out of debt. If I had it to do over again, I'd have waited another year prior to buying my bike. Granted, I had a lot of fun this past summer, but it came at a cost, without a doubt.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #32
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I don't want the curse! My bikes better not end up in the header! LOL
Old 02-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #33
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I'm so glad that I got those killer pics

HD Electric Cruise control FTW

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #34
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I'm so glad that I got those killer pics

HD Electric Cruise control FTW
yeah I appreciate them a lot... thanks bro.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #35
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

What are the deals like on BMWs down there, these days? Might something like a Versys fill your needs, without emptying your wallet? They've got a pretty high revving engine and seem to have some aftermarket support worth mentioning, if ADVRider is anything to go by.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #36
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

I have exactly $200 a month to live on as I'm putting everything into killing my debt and saving 600 a month as a "emergancy" fund.

I have 0 budget for a bike right now... sure I could make my budget "fit" a bike in... but I've been doing that for a couple years and I don't seem to make a dent in my debit as I keep overspending on parts, trips, and gear that I MUST have.

so to force myself to be honest... I'm going bikeless until I'm in the black. by then, I should have close to 8k in my savings to put towards a bike... not including tax returns (usually average about 2k back as I have 100 a month extra taken out)

my priorities have changed for the next two years...but my life goals haven... I'm riding around the world in 11-12 years... this is one huge step towards that goal.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #37
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
I have exactly $200 a month to live on as I'm putting everything into killing my debt and saving 600 a month as a "emergancy" fund.

I have 0 budget for a bike right now... sure I could make my budget "fit" a bike in... but I've been doing that for a couple years and I don't seem to make a dent in my debit as I keep overspending on parts, trips, and gear that I MUST have.

so to force myself to be honest... I'm going bikeless until I'm in the black. by then, I should have close to 8k in my savings to put towards a bike... not including tax returns (usually average about 2k back as I have 100 a month extra taken out)

my priorities have changed for the next two years...but my life goals haven... I'm riding around the world in 11-12 years... this is one huge step towards that goal.
You know, I've entertained the thought of selling my bike for the same reasons you've mentioned, even though I bought it less than a year ago. However, the only debts I have now are the bike and the house, so I'm going to keep the bike. Luckily, I already bought everything I "need" for the bike Only thing I need to do is watch my spending on trips with the bike.

As for the emergency fund, I've put back $1000 and all other money is going toward paying off the bike. I should be able to pay the bike off by October of this year, depending on how much I allocate to trips this summer. I definitely have to cancel my plans for the california trip, partly due to money, partly due to time with my daughter, partly due to difficulty taking off that much time from work at once. I hate to cancel it, but it's really the best thing at this time.

I really hope your medical issues don't cause you problems riding in the future, but do agree that a little time away won't be too difficult, although it will suck when summer rolls around and you see everyone riding.

Good luck on getting completely out of debt, and hopefully, staying out of debt for good.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #38
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post

Gotch. For me it's a no brainer, to have a bike, since I save almost $400.00 every month that I ride, because of parking fees and gas costs.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #39
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
You know, I've entertained the thought of selling my bike for the same reasons you've mentioned, even though I bought it less than a year ago. However, the only debts I have now are the bike and the house, so I'm going to keep the bike. Luckily, I already bought everything I "need" for the bike Only thing I need to do is watch my spending on trips with the bike.

As for the emergency fund, I've put back $1000 and all other money is going toward paying off the bike. I should be able to pay the bike off by October of this year, depending on how much I allocate to trips this summer. I definitely have to cancel my plans for the california trip, partly due to money, partly due to time with my daughter, partly due to difficulty taking off that much time from work at once. I hate to cancel it, but it's really the best thing at this time.

I really hope your medical issues don't cause you problems riding in the future, but do agree that a little time away won't be too difficult, although it will suck when summer rolls around and you see everyone riding.

Good luck on getting completely out of debt, and hopefully, staying out of debt for good.
yes my intention is to live by cash as much as possible there after (HOPE'N my emergency fund will cover any issues that come down the road)

no I don't think I'll have any issues... just got back from a run.. not far probably a mile... but though my left leg fatigued quickly... I can do it! the only issue other than fatigue I had was trying to slow from a sprint... when more force is exerted on each leg to slow me down.... it wanted to buckle... but that's good news... just a strength issue... and I'll fix that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Gotch. For me it's a no brainer, to have a bike, since I save almost $400.00 every month that I ride, because of parking fees and gas costs.
yeah I hear ya... I would probably save close to $70 a month on gas alone... but I cant afford the upfront cost... and it becomes a discipline issue with myself... to only use it for commuting or at least have that intention first...

I still have the DRZ and it'll be a bit before I get that fixed but if it becomes a withdrawal issue I can feed my craving on it... but I'll be trying to sell it shortly after it's fixed (my intentions ATM) to speed up the debt killing.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #40
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

That is the exact reason ive never had a bike that cost mre than 25oo, no debt to pay on it
derf is offline   Reply With Quote