Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #31
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Would you like to contradict my "proof"?
I merely asked if there was proof, that doesn't mean I'm a strong believer either way

But now that you mention it, how about a scientific article? The one you posted was just some sportbike website, and I doubt anyone there has a chemistry degree.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #32
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I always thought it was to prevent the plastic from degrading over time from continued sunlight exposure.
I thought it was to keep the wrist band industry going since people don't wear them very much anymore.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #33
Homeslice
Elitist

Here are a couple product safety sheets from oil companies, and they say to avoid leaving it sit in the sun, but they don't say why, which leads me to believe it could be just because they want to avoid heat buildup or container bursting. So far I haven't found anything saying that it actually degrades from sunlight.

http://www.pennzoil.com.au/downloads...d_Dot_4_AU.pdf

http://www.federalmogul.com/NR/rdonl...P_DOT_4_UK.pdf
Old 01-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #34
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
I thought it was to keep the wrist band industry going since people don't wear them very much anymore.
I stand corrected, however I want proof, possible from a sportbike related website
Old 01-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #35
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

I thought it was because Marko wanted to be Batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #36
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
glycol is used in most street bikes, unless the owner changes it to silicone.

glycol fluid needs to be changed every 1-2 years because of moisture intrusion, not UV damage.

I am trying to find something of substantial proof for or against UV damage as a random sportbike parts website with a simple paragraph on it is not a reliable reference by any means, it's the same as taking someone's word on a forum.
Well, glycols are always recommended to be stored away from UV radiation... Like I said before, I doubt that UV radiation damage is a legitimate reason to use a cover or to not use glycol based fluids. My main reason was service life...Oh and the fact that I didn't like carrying paint stripper everywhere I went. I bought steel braided lines to compensate for the slight pressure loss and it's all good! I'm only arguing against the notion that glycol brake fluid is not UV sensitive. It is because all glycol based products are. I totally recognize that it may take several years for there to be any real damage or loss of performance. I also recognize that the hygroscopic properties of brake fluid will have ruined your brake fluid long before UV rays even if you parked your bike under a sunlamp every night! How about this, Trip....Is there anything on the face of the Earth that isn't UV sensitive to some extent? Hahahahaha!
Old 01-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #37
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Here are a couple product safety sheets from oil companies, and they say to avoid leaving it sit in the sun, but they don't say why, which leads me to believe it could be just because they want to avoid heat buildup or container bursting. So far I haven't found anything saying that it actually degrades from sunlight.

http://www.pennzoil.com.au/downloads...d_Dot_4_AU.pdf

http://www.federalmogul.com/NR/rdonl...P_DOT_4_UK.pdf

Dude, it says right in your link "Conditions to avoid: Avoid exposure to high temperatures or direct sunlight." It doesn't mention anything about types of packaging. Do not expose the raw product to high temps or direct sunlight.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #38
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Never seen anyone use it at the track. You must be thinking of synthetic.
Exactly, no one use silicone fluid in any type of racing that I'm aware of. BTW all brake fluid is synthetic these days, no one uses a petroleum based brake fluid.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #39
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Well, glycols are always recommended to be stored away from UV radiation... Like I said before, I doubt that UV radiation damage is a legitimate reason to use a cover or to not use glycol based fluids. My main reason was service life...Oh and the fact that I didn't like carrying paint stripper everywhere I went. I bought steel braided lines to compensate for the slight pressure loss and it's all good! I'm only arguing against the notion that glycol brake fluid is not UV sensitive. It is because all glycol based products are. I totally recognize that it may take several years for there to be any real damage or loss of performance. I also recognize that the hygroscopic properties of brake fluid will have ruined your brake fluid long before UV rays even if you parked your bike under a sunlamp every night! How about this, Trip....Is there anything on the face of the Earth that isn't UV sensitive to some extent? Hahahahaha!

Oh I agree UV radiation can take it's toll on a lot of shit, but I just doubt the use of resi socks as UV protectant because the frequency at which you have to change glycols cause of moisture damage. I am sure true race bikes get more love in the brake department than street bikes as well, so I just don't see UV as a starting point for this fad.

Basically I don't know what started it. It's been argued to death why this started and we always end up in the same place. Who the fuck knows why? LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #40
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Dude, it says right in your link "Conditions to avoid: Avoid exposure to high temperatures or direct sunlight." It doesn't mention anything about types of packaging. Do not expose the raw product to high temps or direct sunlight.
Isn't that what I said? I said it says to avoid sunlight, but that it doesn't say why. Could be simply because they want to avoid the bottle bursting or something. It doesn't prove that the fluid actually degrades.