Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #31
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i have a sigma 9mm for plinking that is pretty fun to shoot and hasn't had a single issue.

i would look at a ruger 357 (revolver) or kimber 45. ok those are the next two i'm hoping to get. LOL
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #32
Rider
Moto GP Star

The first question is, how familiar are you with semi auto's? If this is really your first gun, I'd recommend a revolver. No safety to forget, no worries of having to clear a jam, and you don't have to remember to chamber your first round. You just point and shoot. Now if you have your heart set on a semi auto, you need to become extremely proficient with it. Lots and lots of practice and don't carry it until you are proficient. When it comes time to needing it, you don't have time to think. It needs to be second nature.

As far as what semi auto, You can't go wrong with a Glock 23. If you don't mind spending a little more, an H&K USP 40 and a Sig Sauer P229 are fantastic guns. Springfield XD40 and the S&W M&P 40 are also nice guns. Hold them all in your had and fire them a lot. Put a least a full box through each of them. Pick the one that is most comfortable and the most accurate for you because it's different for everyone.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #33
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
Really??? Between mine and the other 4 that is in our family, we've probably put 3,000 rounds or so though them and I think I could count on one hand how many times we've had one jam. We bought ours when the were first introduced.

Now if I was buy another one of that style, I'd go with the new Ruger's LCP.
I bought mine when they were first introduced, too. But mine jammed with EVERY ammo, from Federal to Winchester Silvertips to Cor-Bon. I even made batches of handloads, trying different seating depths and bullets to alleviate the problem, because the size and weight were PERFECT for what I needed and it fit my hand so well. And the factory folks were great, and really tried to fix the issue (BUT they wouldn't REPLACE the gun after six returns to the factory, so I bought the Seecamp).

Don't get me wrong, I really LIKED the gun...they just couldn't make it shoot to the point where I could trust my life with it.

I'm with nh and Rider....after farting around with autos for years, it was a Colt Python that saved my bacon..........I now have a whole bunch of wheelguns, and one small auto (Star PD (.45acp)) for when nothing else will fit.........

DA Revolvers...for when it absolutely has to go bang when you pull the trigger....
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #34
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

PS...if it's going to be a concealed carry gun, get one in stainless or polymer/with one of the high-tech finishes.... regular blued pistols will rust, even if you are diligent about cleaning them as soon as you take them off.

Sweat will destroy your gun in short order.....
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #35
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
PS...if it's going to be a concealed carry gun, get one in stainless or polymer/with one of the high-tech finishes.... regular blued pistols will rust, even if you are diligent about cleaning them as soon as you take them off.

Sweat will destroy your gun in short order.....
Good to know.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #36
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
The first question is, how familiar are you with semi auto's? If this is really your first gun, I'd recommend a revolver. No safety to forget, no worries of having to clear a jam, and you don't have to remember to chamber your first round. You just point and shoot. Now if you have your heart set on a semi auto, you need to become extremely proficient with it. Lots and lots of practice and don't carry it until you are proficient. When it comes time to needing it, you don't have time to think. It needs to be second nature.

As far as what semi auto, You can't go wrong with a Glock 23. If you don't mind spending a little more, an H&K USP 40 and a Sig Sauer P229 are fantastic guns. Springfield XD40 and the S&W M&P 40 are also nice guns. Hold them all in your had and fire them a lot. Put a least a full box through each of them. Pick the one that is most comfortable and the most accurate for you because it's different for everyone.
let me throw down another vote for the usp series. The full sized .45 has unbelieveable accuracy. Little big for ccw though
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #37
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
let me throw down another vote for the usp series. The full sized .45 has unbelieveable accuracy. Little big for ccw though
The USP compacts aren't bad for ccw.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #38
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Get a real man's weapon: Smith&Wesson J-frame .357 Magnum or Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum.

If you're going to have to shoot somebody for real then do it right.
have you seen smith's TRR8 and M&P .357s? Rails top and bottom, 7 shot cylinders, and full moon clipped. Makes me drool just thinking about it
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #39
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
I bought mine when they were first introduced, too. But mine jammed with EVERY ammo, from Federal to Winchester Silvertips to Cor-Bon. I even made batches of handloads, trying different seating depths and bullets to alleviate the problem, because the size and weight were PERFECT for what I needed and it fit my hand so well. And the factory folks were great, and really tried to fix the issue (BUT they wouldn't REPLACE the gun after six returns to the factory, so I bought the Seecamp).

Don't get me wrong, I really LIKED the gun...they just couldn't make it shoot to the point where I could trust my life with it.

I'm with nh and Rider....after farting around with autos for years, it was a Colt Python that saved my bacon..........I now have a whole bunch of wheelguns, and one small auto (Star PD (.45acp)) for when nothing else will fit.........

DA Revolvers...for when it absolutely has to go bang when you pull the trigger....

Interesting and good to know. I think I just shoot regular Remington through it for regular plinking, and use Federal Hydra Shocks when its for CC.

True about the old six shooters, pretty much fool proof. My younger brother is a PO and that is the only thing they are allowed to carry for a back up weapon.
Hydrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #40
Rider
Moto GP Star

One last suggestion. If you are stuck on a semi auto but you want the knock down force of a .357 magnum then get a .357 sig. The ground shakes you cap off a round.