Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #31
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
Toyota in the United States

Toyota has been operating in the United States since 1957. Here’s a summary of the company’s current U.S. impact:

* Total Investment: More than $17 billion, including sales and manufacturing operations, research and development, financial services and design

* Toyota Employees: More than 35,000

* Toyota, Lexus and Scion Dealership Employees: More than 1,400 dealerships employ a total of more than 115,000 people

* Manufacturing Plants: 10 (in shitville, California, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas and West Virginia)

* Vehicles Produced: 10 (Avalon, Camry, Camry Hybrid, Camry Solara, Corolla, Sequoia, Sienna, Tacoma, Tundra and Venza)

* 2008 CY Vehicle Sales: More than 2.2 million vehicles

* Philanthropy: Since 1991, more than $464 million awarded to numerous organizations across the nation, with a particular focus on education, the environment and safety

That's 150,000 Americans that draw a paycheck from them.

GM employees less than that in this country. I'll support Toyota.
And the profits and tax revenue go back to Japan. # of people employed is only part of the equation.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #32
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
And the profits and tax revenue go back to Japan. # of people employed is only part of the equation.
And we just dumped how many billions into a company that was going to be sold to an Italian company anyways? Profits will go to Italy in that instance too.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #33
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Toyota gets taxed on their operations here in America. You also realize that in order to get taxed you actually have to make money, something the domestics have shown they are unable to do.

To continue with profits, those do three things. First is help stock value. Tied to that is the second, allow a company to pay dividends. Considering Toyota is publicly traded any American can take advantage of both of those by purchasing Toyota stock. The third is reinvest in operations. Toyota has shown themselves willing to do that in America, and I would argue they have been more willing to do that than any of the domestics. GM seems to like Canada. Ford seems to be a fan of Mexico. Chrysler will soon be banging their heads against a wall trying to get foreign built Fiats to pass American crash tests.

It is hard to discredit what Toyota and other foreign automakers do for America when the domestics are hard at work grabbing tens of billions in bailout money. At least the foreign builders (outside of Nissan) aren't costing the taxpayers money.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #34
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I'm pretty sure Toyota gets taxed on their operations here in America.
If you're basing your argument on "I'm pretty sure" then it might be time to rethink things.

I'm not defending the bailout of US companies, I'm saying we probably shouldn't be bailing out FOREIGN companies. I'm baffled that anyone would be supporting their tax dollars going directly to prop up a foreign company. How would you feel about writing a check to Siemens, Ikea, or Citgo without getting anything in return? Are you doing that? No? Then why are you supporting someone else doing it on your behalf, with your money?
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #35
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
If you're basing your argument on "I'm pretty sure" then it might be time to rethink things.

I'm not defending the bailout of US companies, I'm saying we probably shouldn't be bailing out FOREIGN companies. I'm baffled that anyone would be supporting their tax dollars going directly to prop up a foreign company. How would you feel about writing a check to Siemens, Ikea, or Citgo without getting anything in return? Are you doing that? No? Then why are you supporting someone else doing it on your behalf, with your money?
That was sarcastic. They do pay taxes.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #36
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
I really like that bike, especially the finish on the engine/air cleaner.
If you like that, you should see the 883 IRON motor... I wish they did that motor in the night.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #37
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

NOW WHERE ARE OUR NEW BIKE SUBSIDIES?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #38
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
If you like that, you should see the 883 IRON motor... I wish they did that motor in the night.
Me too. I really like the Iron...but I won't buy an 883. They best come around and pain the 1200 to match.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #39
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I do like the matte black, but I still prefer the Nightster finish. I think it is funny that Harley has an all black sportster but that isn't the Nightster.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #40
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
I do like the matte black, but I still prefer the Nightster finish. I think it is funny that Harley has an all black sportster but that isn't the Nightster.
Yes exactly!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote