Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Around the World > Southeast Riders > Florida Riders

Old 11-17-2008, 05:16 AM   #341
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just tell people to quit pulling their money out at the slightest sign of a downturn?
I mean, I've always wondered why there even HAS to be a downswing.
Sure.. free market and all that... but if so much of our prosperity as a nation rides on those seemingly arbitrary numbers on the stock ticker, why isn't there a little more control to keep it from getting into a downward spiral?

Yes... I'm 34 years old and asking a 19 year old about the economy...
Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 AM   #342
t-homo
WSB Champion

The downturn in the stock market was caused by the huge numbers of housing foreclosures. These were caused because the term "newly-approved" came about. It actually means not-approved, but the banks were willing to go out on a limb and offer mortgages to these people. They figured the foreclosure rate would go up maybe a little bit, but didn't expect it to go from 1% to 6%. With so many people defaulting, they had to pull what money they had in the market out to try to pay off their mortgages that were doomed from the day they originated. These peoples money started causing prices to drop, scaring more people and making them pull money. Also, the banks that had given all of the loans that were now defaulting were losing tons and tons of money causing their stocks to drop in price and eventually file for bankruptcy or hope for a bailout. At least that is my take on the whole thing. My major is tied very closely to the economy so its been a great learning period for me. I'm glad I am in school when it happened rather than happening a year after I graduate.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #343
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Man this stinks, not very busy tonigh tbut more bad stuff happenin in the ER. Will def hoist a few cold ones at dinner tonight.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:58 AM   #344
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Personally I wish I had the resources to invest in devalued stocks and real estate right now.
I thought about doing stuff like that. My investments are taking a beating now, bu tthough tabout investing more since I will be buying in at a cheaper price.

Were currently saving for a house and hope to pull the trigger soon, the nice thing is prices are comming down so we should get a better deal, now we just need to lock in a good intrest rate.

Tom
Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 AM   #345
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

I'm clocking out & going home now! Guess who's riding in 36-degree weather?

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:05 AM   #346
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post

not me, but thats becasue I left the bike at home. I have to work today then go to a dinner after work tonight and didnt want to lug all the gear around and have to look semi presentable tonight.

Tom
Old 11-17-2008, 06:06 AM   #347
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I thought about doing stuff like that. My investments are taking a beating now, bu tthough tabout investing more since I will be buying in at a cheaper price.

Were currently saving for a house and hope to pull the trigger soon, the nice thing is prices are comming down so we should get a better deal, now we just need to lock in a good intrest rate.

Tom
You will probably get a better price for the house itself, but interest rates will be higher as banks will be making sure not to have many defaults. How long are you planning on staying in the same house? If you are planning on being there for a long time, you will probably be better off buying down the interest rate by paying an extra point or point and a half up front, but it depends on your time frame. Stay with a fixed rate mortgage if it will be long term.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 AM   #348
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Its 41 in Southern MO right now. I'm not out on my bike, but probably will be tomorrow or tuesday at some point.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:46 AM   #349
t-homo
WSB Champion

So what are you up to tonight taz?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #350
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

alrighty... I'm out for a while.
Gotta do passdown reports and get ready to get outta this joint. (until tonight, at least)