Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #21
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
Do you have a better idea?
A functional mental health system and reasonable restrictions on gun ownership? Just spit-balling here.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #22
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
A functional mental health system and reasonable restrictions on gun ownership? Just spit-balling here.
Would need to fix the insurance acceptance of mental illness as "real" first. It just sucks that our society has gotten to this point.

It has taken us decades to fuck things up. There is no single fix for this.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I've had the opportunity to think about this for a long time, since a kid shot up a local school back when I was in grade 5 (the incident that caused the biggest change in our gun laws, in 100 years). This is the only reasonable answer.
"Reasonable" means different things to different people. From the reports I have read of this incident the principal of the school thought it was more reasonable to rush the attacker while she was unarmed than to run while her students were massacred.

Quote:
Reasonable is a subjective term, what do you consider "reasonable restrictions" that would actually prevent these incidents?

To the original question I suspect I would go fetal and shit myself, the only question is in which order.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #24
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Great article.
I like to think that he's right.

Gun issues aside, a serious re-evaluation of how we handle mental health issues and accessibility of care is long overdue.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #25
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
"Reasonable" means different things to different people. From the reports I have read of this incident the principal of the school thought it was more reasonable to rush the attacker while she was unarmed than to run while her students were massacred.
If someone is literally willing to take a bullet for her students, then that person is a bloody hero. Most people aren't. I've faced a drunk fuck with a knife, but not a lunatic with a semi-auto rifle, so I can't say how I'd behave in that situation.

As someone who was forced to face the possibility when a child, I came to the conclusion a child should; run like fuck.

Quote:
Reasonable is a subjective term, what do you consider "reasonable restrictions" that would actually prevent these incidents?

To the original question I suspect I would go fetal and shit myself, the only question is in which order.
"Reasonable", to me, is considering the totality of the situation, of a prospective gun owner. If you're in a house with someone who has a history of violence or mental health issues, then odds are you shouldn't have a firearm on the premises. Proper storage is also an issue.

When I got my Firearms Acquisition Certificate, I went through a RCMP background check, that included fingerprinting. When I got my Restricted Weapons Certificate they repeated that process, to make sure that there were no un-logged changes in my situation. The local Firearms Officer also attended my home in order to check that I had proper, lockable storage for my restricted weapon.

I see nothing unreasonable in these practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Would need to fix the insurance acceptance of mental illness as "real" first. It just sucks that our society has gotten to this point.

It has taken us decades to fuck things up. There is no single fix for this.
I think that part of the issue is that the mental health industry is constantly trying to expand the definition of what "mental illness" truly is. For example how many children are diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, who actually don't suffer from either? There are those two conditions, and then there are children who simply have a discipline issue.

But there are very real mental health issues, that can result in the sort of thing we've seen in this incident. Some of them, like schizophrenia, can be managed with medication. Unfortunately the people who can be managed in this way frequently get better and then stop taking their meds, because they think that they're cured. They're no more cured of their particular illness than a diabetic is cured by insulin. For these people part of mental health care should be monitoring of their condition, to insure that they continue to take their medication, but the current method of 'care' frequently equates to a sort of 'catch and release' programme where health insurance is concerned. Diagnose 'em, prescribe 'em, then slap 'em on the ass and send them out into society.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 12-19-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #26
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

arm the teachers. 1 district already does and the governor of tx recommended it the other day

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/18...xas-officials/

luv it

"You know, as educators, we don’t have to be police officers and learn about Miranda Rights and related procedures. We just have to be accurate.”
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #27
Krypt Keeper
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR1100XX, Daytona 600

Don't forget that just because you have your CCW that when you pull your presonal carry that everyone Including the security and police know that you are a good guy. You pull your carry and you look just like another plain clothes average Joe with a gun. Well unless you rip open your shirt and you have on your Superman PJ's on or your wallet has BadMotherFucker on it.

You are not a super hero, and this isn't a movie so leave your Yippee Kaya shit at home in front of the TV. Most people run frantically, or panic so bad from shock they sit right there. or shit themselves sitting or running.

Take cover and draw weapon or draw weapon and take cover. Depends on if its a next room over or directly in front of you.

see where the danger is (don't go looking for it)

either stay hidden if you can or if possible move to a safe location out of harms way and call 911 (remember when seconds count the police are minutes away)

defend yourself/family (ammo is cheap, always double tap at center mass, or until the threat is neutralized, carry spare mag)
Krypt Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #28
Switch
dadbod

Lynyrd Skynyrd said it best: Handguns are made for killin', they ain't good for nuthin' else.

There is no reason a civilian should own a high powered rifle with a 30-rd mag (or more), that can easily have a bump-stock installed to make it as good as automatic.

I just sold my AR-15 about 2 weeks ago because of principle, and I didn't want to be a hypocrite. You know how much paperwork I had to do for that? Zero. In my opinion, that is ridiculous.

I have to do more paperwork selling a car than I do a gun, and that is insane to me. There should be titles associated with guns, like cars, and they should transfer every time a gun is sold, like cars.

And for you all you yippee kiy yi yay cowboy wannabe motherfuckers, guess what. If the US of A wanted to wage war against it's citizens, you could never stop our military. Sorry. So the point you are trying to make by saving up thousands of rounds of ammunition is moot.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #29
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

yeah, and screw all SS bikes.........mopeds FTW!

more people die from cars then high powered rifles, why shouldn't there be more paperwork involved?
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #30
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
And for you all you yippee kiy yi yay cowboy wannabe motherfuckers, guess what. If the US of A wanted to wage war against it's citizens, you could never stop our military. Sorry. So the point you are trying to make by saving up thousands of rounds of ammunition is moot.
I disagree...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote