Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #21
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I'd like to know why premium has to be more and why it is not consistently $0.20 more. In some cases it's much more than that.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #22
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
I'd like to know why premium has to be more and why it is not consistently $0.20 more. In some cases it's much more than that.
well its better gas so it has to be more. I used to kinda know the answer to that, but my days of organic chemistry were many beers ago
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #23
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
well its better gas so it has to be more. I used to kinda know the answer to that, but my days of organic chemistry were many beers ago
You'd think, but (switching gears here) isn't diesel fuel less refined than gasoline? If so, then why is it even more? And what is the point of using bio-diesel when it's $3.99/gal ($0.10 more than regular, low-sulfur stuff).

I downloaded the gas buddy app for my phone a few months ago. It is a wonderful thing, especially with prices like they are. I can kind of plan my next fill up accordingly since the gas just north of me is generally $0.10/gallon or more, LESS than south of me in the town where I work. Amazing that 10-15 miles can make such a difference.

Last edited by racedoll; 03-07-2011 at 09:18 PM..
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #24
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Why does racing fuel cost $10, $15, or $30 per gallon? I'm no chemist but I suspect the refining process is more involved, the refiners put in more additives, and they want to make more profit on the premium product. The perceived and actual value attached to premium allows them to charge more and that more varies depending on refining costs, additive costs, and what the consumer is willing to pay.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
You'd think, but (switching gears here) isn't diesel fuel less refined than gasoline? If so, then why is it even more? And what is the point of using bio-diesel when it's $3.99/gal ($0.10 more than regular, low-sulfur stuff).

I downloaded the gas buddy app for my phone a few months ago. It is a wonderful thing, especially with prices like they are. I can kind of plan my next fill up accordingly since the gas just north of me is generally $0.10/gallon or more, LESS than south of me in the town where I work. Amazing that 10-15 miles can make such a difference.

Diesel is less refined. I believe it's still considered "crude."

What makes the different gasoline ratings is what additives are put in them and what company is putting what additives in their gasoline. I've been told that gasoline is refined and that is what it is. It's the additives that change it's ratings.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #26
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Diesel is the most used fuel by our military. Let's just say, supply is lower because we're involved in multiple war-games.

There are multiple issues going on right now. Not only did a really great supply option with REALLY high quality stop. But, did y'all know that WE aren't drilling in the gulf? Other countries are... WE aren't.

YAY.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #27
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
WE aren't drilling in the gulf? Other countries are... WE aren't.

YAY.
Thanks Mr Pres.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #28
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Thanks Mr Pres.
Hope and change.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #29
goof2
AMA Supersport

To be fair gas and oil prices got higher than they currently are before Obama became President. That was really only due to supply and demand perceptions and at least Bush was trying to do something about our supply (and was being fought at every turn for it). The reaction to the BP fiasco has seemed to effectively prevent new exploration and production in the Gulf of Mexico (at least in American waters) while ANWR will remain off limits for the foreseeable future.

The issues with the supply and demand curves 3 years ago that drove prices so high were only temporarily alleviated by the recession or whatever you want to call it. This has been a Sword of Damocles since then, only needing the economy to improve before becoming a problem again. It happened faster than I thought due to the unrest in the Middle East and the devaluation of the dollar, but it was going to happen regardless.

The politicians need to wake up and realize that, no matter how much they wish it weren't the case, America's economy currently depends on oil, preferably cheap, to function. Dreaming about a world powered by windmills, solar cells, corn, and unicorn farts is nice but at this point, and despite being heavily subsidized, I don't believe they can even keep up with the new energy requirements each year much less make a dent in existing demand. None of them qualify as cheap either. People make fun of the simplistic nature of "Drill Here, Drill Now" but it really is just that simple.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #30
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Diesel is the most used fuel by our military. Let's just say, supply is lower because we're involved in multiple war-games.

There are multiple issues going on right now. Not only did a really great supply option with REALLY high quality stop. But, did y'all know that WE aren't drilling in the gulf? Other countries are... WE aren't.

YAY.
Actually, there is very little diesel used in the military. Active duty units are pretty much using JP8 exclusively now, which resembles kerosene more than diesel.

What I don't get it the HUGE variance in price from place to place. Diesel is 3.68 here, gas is 3.27. In AZ diesel is 3.99 gas is 3.65. In CA diesel is 4.35, gas is 4.05. Besides CA being full of communist bastards, why the huge bump in price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote