Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #21
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Yea done and done. My GF's lease is up in July and she graduates in May so I've been waiting for her so we can get a place together BUT I'm not sure if I can make it that long...
That's a long time to wait it out. If I were in your shoes, I would pay up and GTFO as soon as I could. Good luck - that sucks.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

honestly you may have legal course to break her lease with them going section 8 with no notice...

fuck I'd try anything to get out of a place like that asap
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #23
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Im pretty sure Ebbs is right on that. They are no longer complying with their agreement to allow you a safe and comfortable living environment. Start making complaints in writing (must be in writing or you'll have no legal footing) right now, and continue to do so at every incident, then you'll have a record and should be able to prove that they should let you out now. Get yourself a place she likes, and she can move in with you when her lease is up.

If it makes you feel any better, they are doing the same thing to our TH S/d in Florida where we own a home. Like it wasn't hard enough to find a renter and make the mortgage, now the neighborhood will be a dump. And we owe too much to sell it.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #24
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Im pretty sure Ebbs is right on that. They are no longer complying with their agreement to allow you a safe and comfortable living environment. Start making complaints in writing (must be in writing or you'll have no legal footing) right now, and continue to do so at every incident, then you'll have a record and should be able to prove that they should let you out now. Get yourself a place she likes, and she can move in with you when her lease is up.
I agree with Rae. Review your lease. It should have a paragraph about your right to a peaceful environment, quiet hours, safety, etc. If so, then you need to complain about EVERYTHING, and do it in letters to management. Even though you can likely take care of yourself, be sure to mention that you fear for your safety, along with that of your girlfriend, and the safety of your property. About one week into sending these daily letters, add in wording that you're considering moving due to the constant problems. If they don't fix the problems within a couple weeks, write another letter stating that due to their lack of complying with the lease, which grants you peace and security, you'll be moving within 7 days. Obviously, you need to make sure your lease grants you these things before you take action. Otherwise, they can sue you for failure to complete the lease.

Frankly, I'd also talk to all of the "good" people in your complex and compel them to do the same. If management gets daily letters from a lot of the better tenants with threats to move, they may start taking action.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #25
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

um no you can't break your lease for this. in fact they aren't even supposed to disclose the info to you. not like it's hard to figure out.

my landlord was pretty cool about my leaving but i had lived there for 14 years and done a ton of free work around the place for him.

best bet is talk to them without threatening or any BS. tell them your concerns.

there are two reasons they go section 8. someone threatened a lawsuit for discriminiation, or they need cash and have to get units rented.

if they need money you may have to ride out the lease, if it was the suit then they may let you go because they understand.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
um no you can't break your lease for this. in fact they aren't even supposed to disclose the info to you. not like it's hard to figure out.

my landlord was pretty cool about my leaving but i had lived there for 14 years and done a ton of free work around the place for him.

best bet is talk to them without threatening or any BS. tell them your concerns.

there are two reasons they go section 8. someone threatened a lawsuit for discriminiation, or they need cash and have to get units rented.

if they need money you may have to ride out the lease, if it was the suit then they may let you go because they understand.
i didn't know they weren't supposed to inform you... however I do agree don't threaten... just COMPLAIN about everything... especially the time you were threatened... THAT WILL give you just cause to break a lease just find a lawyer if need be
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #27
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post

that all depends on what the lease says. The lease is a contract between the landlord and the renter. Both parties have to uphold their end of the deal. If not, the contract can be terminated by either party. This is why I suggested he read his lease to be sure what it says. If there is nothing in the lease about right to privacy, quiet hours, security, etc., then he's screwed and is stuck living there till the lease is up, or at the very least, paying the termination fee to end the lease early.

However, if he's on month-to-month, then it really doesn't matter and he can simply give 30 days notice at any point.

I didn't tell him to threaten to leave immediately, rather complain about EVERYTHING, then if nothing is done after a week or so of daily written complaints, threaten to move. Continue writing daily complaint letters until something is done or he moves. However, as stated above, if his lease has no paragraph about right to peace, safety, etc., none of this matters.

ETA: it's also a very good idea to write down specific dates and times of the incidents. Probably a good idea to call management anytime something happens, then follow that up with a written letter the next day detailing the incident. While this seems like the "bitch" thing to do, you'll have to do it to show just cause for moving if they try to sue you. Just make sure you know what your lease says about your landlords duties, your rights, etc.

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 02-17-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #28
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
that all depends on what the lease says. The lease is a contract between the landlord and the renter. Both parties have to uphold their end of the deal. If not, the contract can be terminated by either party. This is why I suggested he read his lease to be sure what it says. If there is nothing in the lease about right to privacy, quiet hours, security, etc., then he's screwed and is stuck living there till the lease is up, or at the very least, paying the termination fee to end the lease early.

However, if he's on month-to-month, then it really doesn't matter and he can simply give 30 days notice at any point.

I didn't tell him to threaten to leave immediately, rather complain about EVERYTHING, then if nothing is done after a week or so of daily written complaints, threaten to move. Continue writing daily complaint letters until something is done or he moves. However, as stated above, if his lease has no paragraph about right to peace, safety, etc., none of this matters.

ETA: it's also a very good idea to write down specific dates and times of the incidents. Probably a good idea to call management anytime something happens, then follow that up with a written letter the next day detailing the incident. While this seems like the "bitch" thing to do, you'll have to do it to show just cause for moving if they try to sue you. Just make sure you know what your lease says about your landlords duties, your rights, etc.
Bingo. If the actions of the property owner contribute to an unsafe environment or loss of "enjoyment of residence", and they are put on notice for it, then it could easily constitute a breach of their contractual responsibilities.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #29
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Exactly what Capt. said! When i was managing a local apartment complex a section of our lease stated that if for any reason we sold the property or it changed hands in any way, tenants would have the right to vacate with proper (30 days) notice. It also stated that all tenants had a right to safety, security and quiet. Any respectable and reputable leasing agency will have a state recognized lease that would have all things in it. Usually the only time you run into an issue with not having these already included is if it is private party, rent by owner, etc.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #30
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Hide your bikes.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote