Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #21
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Now days you tell them you'll embarrass them on Facebook.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #22
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

Mine gets the paint stir stick.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #23
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I never really understood the idea of whupping a kid until he cries, for crying.
it's like my dad used to say... he's just giving me something to cry about!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #24
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Props to you for knowing how to get your child to pay attention. I don't understand raising a hand to solve a problem, or teaching your children that pain is the best answer to get someone to pay attention.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #25
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Props to you for knowing how to get your child to pay attention. I don't understand raising a hand to solve a problem, or teaching your children that pain is the best answer to get someone to pay attention.
I don't know about that. Today's children, who have largely been raised without corporal punishment, frequently don't seem to understand that their actions have consequences. I don't think that it's necessarily wrong to physically discipline your children. It's simply that many people don't understand when it's appropriate to do so. Spanking a child for crying is ineffective. Spanking a child for destroying the kitchen is.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #26
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
There is an age where pain as a punishment doesn't really work any more. At my sons age 5 yes it still works. At that age he doesn't fully comprehend that his actions have consequences but he does understand that his actions cause pain. he is starting to get the point, but sometimes yes a good hard whack to the but is the only thing that works. If he goes too far down the street without an adult and I take away the TV privledges, the act doesn't associate with the punishment, but a spank on the ass will.

My daughter, 10, it doesn't get spanked at all anymore. She comprehends that her actions have consequences even if they are not connected. If she lies then she looses the TV or radio or something. I can hit her all day long and she will understand that too, but with her level of thinking and her understanding of the implications of her actions I don't need to really.

It's really about what works with each child, their maturity level, and their ability to associate actions and consequences. It's not about pain at all, just about their comprehension of the world around them.

Now my wife on the other hand, all she gets is the other hand

Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #27
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I don't know about that. Today's children, who have largely been raised without corporal punishment, frequently don't seem to understand that their actions have consequences. I don't think that it's necessarily wrong to physically discipline your children. It's simply that many people don't understand when it's appropriate to do so. Spanking a child for crying is ineffective. Spanking a child for destroying the kitchen is.
Sorry, but I don't agree with any form of corporal punishment. Though, I feel too many of today's parents are trying to give their kids a hug and a cookie for their actions. THAT is moronic, at best. There should be a better balance.

Animals punish their young with pain, we are above that. We have opposable thumbs and are supposedly intelligent creatures. Yet, we continue to bruise our way through our lives. Awesome.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #28
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #29
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't agree with any form of corporal punishment. Though, I feel too many of today's parents are trying to give their kids a hug and a cookie for their actions. THAT is moronic, at best. There should be a better balance.

Animals punish their young with pain, we are above that. We have opposable thumbs and are supposedly intelligent creatures. Yet, we continue to bruise our way through our lives. Awesome.
Different people, different views. We do agree though regarding the cookie thing though.

The thing about pain is that it's immediate and effective. It worked for many, many generations.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #30
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Quote:

My kids-Honest, hardworking tax paying citizens. Your kids-liberal or hippies or both.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote