Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #21
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Looks like it will work on a variety of systems, though embedded asset management from Dell systems might be required for some functions. Things like imaging should be manufacturer transparent.

Unfortunately I'm not looking to add to our infrastructure, since cost is one of the main issues that we are currently dealing with. The big server guys can get a couple of million budgeted to a massive, campus-wide project, but we're pretty limited.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #22
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
Huh? Why would it matter who pieced the hardware and software software together to make a PC? Dell is the same as anything else except with some sometimes shitty proprietary hardware on occasions.
Dell gets off on using proprietary designs in their products. I was asking if their software would only manage/image client machines that were made by Dell. It's not an unreasonable question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Looks like it will work on a variety of systems, though embedded asset management from Dell systems might be required for some functions. Things like imaging should be manufacturer transparent.
And this is what I was getting at. Imaging may work but what about patch management, scripting functions, etc.? If that supports those type of functions for all clients, regardless of make, that's good. If not, that sucks.

Last edited by LeeNetworX; 10-28-2010 at 08:00 AM..
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #23
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Dell gets off on using proprietary designs in their products. I was asking if their software would only manage/image client machines that were made by Dell. It's not an unreasonable question.
I'd give you the plus one but I know what that'll do!

Kace has assured me that it will work with any machine. Not just Dell.

Just got a quote. 21k for 160 machines before discounts.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #24
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
It is when you read the website, and know it was existing software. Plus it makes no economical sense to limit a tool like this to only their machines. Hardware makes sense because it requires you to buy from them, but software dell would want to sell to everyone and not limit their market. Both make perfect business sense.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #25
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
Just got a quote. 21k for 160 machines before discounts.
Is that high? Seems like it, but I'm a bit out of touch with licensing costs these days. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I thankfully don't have to deal with software procurement that much, and we have a global license for Altiris that was arranged by some group in the company somewhere, so I have nothing to compare with.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #26
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

Quote:
Is that high? Seems like it, but I'm a bit out of touch with licensing costs these days. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I thankfully don't have to deal with software procurement that much, and we have a global license for Altiris that was arranged by some group in the company somewhere, so I have nothing to compare with.
That's $131.25 per machine. For everything it can do, I don't think it's too bad. They claim to be cheaper than Altiris but I have nothing other than a sales rep's comment to back up that statement.

I was looking at it for the inventory piece and got pulled in by the imaging functions.

I like the fact that I can get it as a virtual or physical appliance.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #27
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
It is when you read the website, and know it was existing software. Plus it makes no economical sense to limit a tool like this to only their machines. Hardware makes sense because it requires you to buy from them, but software dell would want to sell to everyone and not limit their market. Both make perfect business sense.
Limiting it to just their hardware means more reason to buy Dell when refreshing your hardware....that is, if it's a good tool. While it seems like a ridiculous plan, big software / hardware companies do stupid shit like this all the time - Hell, my company has made plenty of such dumb decisions in the past. So I respectfully disagree with you and will leave it at that.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #28
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
We'll be seeing more and more products being made available this way, as cloud computing starts to really take hold these next few years.

On that topic, have you seen that new Windows 7 commerical with the mom doing the photo editing/stitching of her family photos? "To the cloud!"
Old 10-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #29
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Limiting it to just their hardware means more reason to buy Dell when refreshing your hardware....that is, if it's a good tool. While it seems like a ridiculous plan, big software / hardware companies do stupid shit like this all the time - Hell, my company has made plenty of such dumb decisions in the past. So I respectfully disagree with you and will leave it at that.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #30
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
That's $131.25 per machine. For everything it can do, I don't think it's too bad. They claim to be cheaper than Altiris but I have nothing other than a sales rep's comment to back up that statement.

I was looking at it for the inventory piece and got pulled in by the imaging functions.

I think that's 2.5 to 3X what we pay for the functionality that we have through Altiris. We don't need a global system management solution. In fact, because of the two little words "academic freedom", we can't.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote