Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #21
Flexin
AMA Supersport

When I started surfing CF before getting a bike the common line was to "dress for the crash not the ride". They should have been equipped for the worst possible case.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #22
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
The fact as Apoc stated is that this shouldn't have happened or it was a near impossibility. So unless you only walk to work and use solar everything, you really have no leg to stand on.
That is like saying since I need water to drink, I'm not allowed to criticize the utility company if it's discovered that contaminants exceed the standard.

And did you guys read the article I posted?

Last edited by Homeslice; 06-02-2010 at 07:53 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #23
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
That is like saying since I need water to drink, I'm not allowed to criticize the utility company if their filtration system fails and contaminants exceed health standards.

I did.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #24
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
Not from what I heard the other night. They have the worst safety record from what they said. In the time frame they were talking about BP had 7XX accidents and Exxon had 1.

James
Oh just because the workers don't follow them doesn't mean there weren't rules... trust me. I understand that some companies are more safety oriented than others...wonder if that present good record has any thing to do with their previous problems, but I still say that there are a mountain of regs that the workers are SUPPOSED to follow...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #25
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
The Titanic was said to be unsinkable. That kind of thinking had cause people their lives. They need to be prepared for the worst. Having a plan in place and the gear to fix a problem like this just in case is way cheaper then what this is going to cost them.

James
This I agree with.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
That is like saying since I need water to drink, I'm not allowed to criticize the utility company if it's discovered that contaminants exceed the standard.

Nah, you can't buy Aquafina and then complain that getting the water destroys the environment.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #27
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
The fact as Apoc stated is that this shouldn't have happened or it was a near impossibility. So unless you only walk to work and use solar everything, you really have no leg to stand on. It isn't like you don't buy oil/gas so you can blame BP for a spill that would only affect the enviroment (and not the availability of the product).
Ask yourself why the alternatives are so much more expensive to the point of making their use almost impossible.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #28
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Oh just because the workers don't follow them doesn't mean there weren't rules... trust me. I understand that some companies are more safety oriented than others...wonder if that present good record has any thing to do with their previous problems, but I still say that there are a mountain of regs that the workers are SUPPOSED to follow...
The lowest worker has a boss that makes sure they are doing what they are told to do. That person has a boss that is doing the same to them. That person has one as well and that goes right up to the top.

I think the period was 3 years for the 7XX accidents. Thats not just the crew at the bottom screwing up. With that many accidents you have problems much higher up.

At the end of the day 1 or more people fucked up and now 11 are dead and the ocean is getting fucked over. In the end I think it will show that BP wasn't the only one to blame but they play a huge part in it I'm sure.

James
Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #29
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
I take that as a, "you really think I want to be dealing with this for months on end? I want this to be over more than any of you."

He's just a human. I don't feel sorry for him or hate him.
I just think it's a bit tactless. The impact of this on him personally really pales in comparison to the havoc that's being wreaked on the members of local communities. "Nobody wants this to end more than me." Wanna bet?
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #30
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Ask yourself why the alternatives are so much more expensive to the point of making their use almost impossible.
Because the "alternatives" really aren't alternatives?

Look at the Cape Wind fiasco. It isn't really an "alternative" as it relies on government subsidies to build, tax breaks to operate, and tax breaks to the customer to make it economically feasible. Even with all that it is still more expensive than conventional power. With that their power will still cost an estimated 15% or 20% more than conventional. Without that it would be somewhere over double the cost. That isn't because of "big oil", it is because the technology has yet to, and may never, reach the point of being a true alternative.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote