Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #21
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
You need to check part availability also. There's some cool bikes out there but gettin parts is hard or expensive.
Excellent point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
for an oil change, just learn on your regular bike. It is really just as easy as remove a bolt, oil drains. Remove oil filter. Install oil filter. Put new washer on bolt, reinstall bolt. Put recommended amount of oil in oil fill. Start and run til it gets up to temp. Cool for 5 mins, check oil level. Add oil if needed. Done.
You owe Trip $200 and it really is this easy. Fortunately for you have a bike with lowers so you may or may not need to remove them. It isn't hard, but could be a pain. I don't have lowers so both sides have to come off first which is a pain.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #22
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Excellent point

You owe Trip $200 and it really is this easy. Fortunately for you have a bike with lowers so you may or may not need to remove them. It isn't hard, but could be a pain. I don't have lowers so both sides have to come off first which is a pain.
Tell you what, save the $200, come to the rally and we'll teach you all the basics of bike maintenance while you are there one morning...I'll throw in a disc with your service manual on it... I'm rooming with GasMan, between the two of us, I'm sure that we can get you up to speed!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #23
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Tell you what, save the $200, come to the rally and we'll teach you all the basics of bike maintenance while you are there one morning...I'll throw in a disc with your service manual on it... I'm rooming with GasMan, between the two of us, I'm sure that we can get you up to speed!
Speaking of which, wasn't there supposed to be something like this happening anyway? Along with some shooting and maybe some other stuff?
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #24
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Question for Kawi owners...why the hell do you have to take the fairings off to change oil? What a pain.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #25
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Speaking of which, wasn't there supposed to be something like this happening anyway? Along with some shooting and maybe some other stuff?
It depends on the group, if all old school riders come there's little reason to have maintenance classes...
I'm sure that any of us old guys would love to help anyone.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Question for Kawi owners...why the hell do you have to take the fairings off to change oil? What a pain.
I was thinking that too...I haven't had to do that since '95...
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #27
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I was thinking that too...I haven't had to do that since '95...
My 92 Zuk did not even require fairing removal. Seems like some bullshit.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #28
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
We can see who needs help and what they would like help with and just have a basic maintenance/riding Q/A seminar.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #29
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
It isn't just the Kawis. I can get to everything oil change related on my R6 (2001) except the oil filter. To get to that I need to take the lowers off. I don't really mind though since removing them takes about 5 minutes and having them off makes the whole process a bit easier.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #30
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
It isn't just the Kawis. I can get to everything oil change related on my R6 (2001) except the oil filter. To get to that I need to take the lowers off. I don't really mind though since removing them takes about 5 minutes and having them off makes the whole process a bit easier.
What necessitates the removal? Oil filter?

Quote: