Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #21
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Maybe not, I don't know.

Getting laid off means you qualify for unemployment. Getting fired for insubordination (even if they deserved it, it is still cause for termination) means you usually don't qualify.
All depends on who moderates the case... Trust me, I've seen it plenty of times...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #22
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Good luck. We had a guy at work do this too and also ended up being terminated. Scary part is that his family is the F'd up kind that wouldn't surprise anyone if he came back in with a gun or something stupid.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #23
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

That sucks dude. Hope you find a better one fast.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #24
Cory
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Well if that's the case, then he's soon to find out how screwed he is.
This.

Sorry to hear OTB. I'm in the same boat. Didn't matter that I came in early, worked thru my lunch and stayed late almost every day. I got sick and was off for 3 days and they fired me because I had a high profile job and they needed someone who "didn't get sick"

I would have loved to let them know exactly how I felt!! Although I do take comfort in knowing they had to hire 2 people to do my job even after giving some duties to other people. hello karma!
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #25
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Unless you're being overpaid, you shouldn't have to put up with being either over-worked, nor under-appreciated.

Fuck that shit.

In this economy, yeah you do.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #26
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4
Default A little background...

Some of you know what I do (did) for a living.

For the last 3 years I have been the culinary teacher in a Level 5 school for kids with behavior problems in Baltimore. I taught both life skills (how to cook for yourself) and vocational training (how to cook in a restaurant or institutional setting, how to get a job, how to keep a job, ect).

Pay is the same a Baltimore Public teachers, except we work 12 months (most of these kids have mandatory summer school because they are so far behind) Baltimore works 9 1/2 months....same pay.

I taught kids that had been tossed out of the regular school system for constant fighting with peers, assaulting teachers, sexual predation, and general assaultive behaviors. The next step for most of these kids is institutional hospitalization or prison. Most have long criminal records.

I their "defense", most have been abused sexually, physically or both, or abandoned during infancy. One of my students had been set afire by a parent, another sold into prostitution at the age of 5 to support mommies crack habit. Several suffer from chronic lead poisoning (which not only causes developmental issues, it makes the kids highly aggressive) Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, Fetal Cocaine Addiction,.............you get the picture.

As you might imagine, security and staff safety are issues; since starting there in school year 07, I have been to the ER 4 times; once for a wrenched back while wrestling a kid to the floor, once for a stab wound (a pen) , once when I was bitten (no medical records on the kid, so I spent 6 months on "the cocktail" and held my breath once a month for a year when I went for my AIDS test..), and once where a kid surprised me from behind with a wicked kidney punch...pissed blood for a week.

So when I found myself without a teaching assistant for the last week (everybody teaches in pairs, that way someone can watch your back) I was concerned, but not too afraid; I've been there long enough for the students to know that I'm not going to mess around and I always give a lot better than I get.....

But, like I said earlier; without an assistant, no bathroom breaks, no lunch breaks, and four weeks ago they added an extra class, so I didn't having a planning period to do the massive amounts of required clinical and legal CYA paperwork required on a daily basis, things were starting to bug me.

Add to that an arrogant and thoughtless supervisor; being spit on by a student that day, being investigated by Admin (a student who didn't want to take a test claimed racism... I have to show that I give the same work and grades to white vs non white students), and then a call from my wife in the middle of it all that a collection agency called and was threatening her because the school hadn't paid the workman's comp claim for October 08 (the stabbing) ,...... sent me right around the bend....

I don't think I've ever lost it that bad. Usually I am able to set things aside long enough to calm down and get resolution.

I doubt I'll be able to get unemployment: calling your supervisor "a stupid c**ks**ker" and "a little pr**k only concerned with covering his own ass" usually are appropriate grounds for separation......even if they're true........
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #27
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Perhaps you could argue unacceptable work conditions that lead to a temporary but necessary breakdown since the employer was failing to meet legal requirements. It cant be legal in ANY state to disallow bathroom breaks or lunchbreak, and could be considered "hazardous" to your health. Not to mention their failure to follow company protocol and leaving you without an assistant also placing you in harms way.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #28
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

dude, screw that. Besides the unreasonable expectations, being put in a potentially unsafe situation is unacceptable.

eff that dude and the horse he rode in on.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #29
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Perhaps you could argue unacceptable work conditions that lead to a temporary but necessary breakdown since the employer was failing to meet legal requirements. It cant be legal in ANY state to disallow bathroom breaks or lunchbreak, and could be considered "hazardous" to your health. Not to mention their failure to follow company protocol and leaving you without an assistant also placing you in harms way.
Yea seems weird but I also doubt that he'll get UI... So where is the much touted teacher's union in all this? Couldn't you have filed a grievance for the lack of an assistant? I wouldn't want that job but if you love it, I might swallow my pride and go back and see if you can patch things up...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #30
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Sounds like a wrongful dismissal lawsuit in the making; indifference to workload and safety conditions. Your blow-up is largely immaterial to the issues at hand, if you had put management on notice prior to this. That last part is key.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote