Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #21
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Apparently only macho things like flags, guns, and helmet-free riding are worth defending........Non-macho things like privacy aren't.
Sometimes people forget that whole "security of person" aspect of freedom. How is privacy from government any less laudible a goal than reasonable taxation? It seems that the founding fathers wanted a little of both.

It's always interesting when neo-conservatives start screaming about the Constitution and their rights, except when it comes to the fundamental right of privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
I've come to "have to" accept that attitude because of the way Gov operates now.

Remember the $10k toilet seat issues?

This is why I choose to not CHOOSE a party. They're all friggin criminals, it's just who do you trust LESS?!? Me getting my panties all up in a wad won't fix it...so why worry myself. The system will fail on its own, and I just need enough ammo to survive the zombie apocalypse

(you know I know better....but you also realize this ain't my first rodeo when it comes to arguing on a forum sometimes it's more fun to lob a grenade in a thread and run watching the fallout from the bunker)
Admittedly I've been known to lob the odd virtual grenade into the room, then shut the door behind me too.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #22
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

When I lob a grenade I stay in the room

Last edited by Homeslice; 02-12-2010 at 09:50 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #23
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I like how most conservatives never speak up about privacy issues like these, probably because they're afraid of being labeled a wimpy, unpatriotic bleeding heart or something. They can't allow themselves to agree with wimpy faggot communist groups like the ACLU, even when they have a legitimate point.
Nice generalization. Most liberals never speak up about privacy issues like this either. I suppose you could make the argument that they spoke up on November 4th when they elected Obama in part to end "Bush shredding the constitution", but it is Obama's justice department currently fighting to retain this practice. Hell, at least Bush's warrantless privacy violations involved foreigners. This current warrantless practice directly targets Americans.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #24
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Nice generalization. Most liberals never speak up about privacy issues like this either. I suppose you could make the argument that they spoke up on November 4th when they elected Obama in part to end "Bush shredding the constitution", but it is Obama's justice department currently fighting to retain this practice. Hell, at least Bush's warrantless privacy violations involved foreigners. This current warrantless practice directly targets Americans.
If the shoe fits, wear it. I can only describe what I notice, which is that conservatives usually don't speak up about these types of issues. Notice I use words like "usually" and "most".

Would you agree that most liberals don't speak up about gun rights? Then why can't I say that most conservatives don't speak up about privacy?

And the NSA has been sweeping up domestic communications since the early 00's at least. Bush's whole "we only intercepted overseas communications" argument was BS.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #25
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
If the shoe fits, wear it. I can only describe what I notice, which is that conservatives usually don't speak up about these types of issues. Notice I use words like "usually" and "most".

Would you agree that most liberals don't speak up about gun rights? Then why can't I say that most conservatives don't speak up about privacy?

And the NSA has been sweeping up domestic communications since the early 00's at least. Bush's whole "we only intercepted overseas communications" argument was BS.
I didn't disagree that "most conservatives" don't speak up, I disagreed with you limiting it to only conservatives. Most Americans don't speak up about things like this either.

There were two rare exceptions I can think of. The first was Bush's warrantless wiretapping, but that probably had more to do with it coming from Bush than the privacy issues. Additionally when liberals did oppose it plenty of legislators they supported screwed them over because they didn't want to look weak on terror. The other I already mentioned which was electing Obama. Considering it is his justice department fighting to keep this ability it doesn't seem to have worked too well.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #26
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Governments rarely give up a power that they possess. Voters have to stop rewarding them for abridgements of rights.

Bush's policies also included warrantless wiretaps, etc., of American citizens.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #27
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

every single thing you guys have complained about in this thread was a contracted service. theres no entitlement for the use of any of those things
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #28
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
every single thing you guys have complained about in this thread was a contracted service. theres no entitlement for the use of any of those things
There's no entitlement to personal privacy?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #29
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
another reason android = ftw.
Do you even know what you're saying? Android is just an OS and has nothing to do with the issue.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #30
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Most people know cellphones can be tracked, but I doubt most people know that the phone companies are doing it 24/7 and storing the data indefinitely. There's a big difference between locating a phone in an emergency, and storing all of the data constantly and indefinitely.
Yep. I was well aware of the ability of telcos to track your position using your cell phone but I didnt not know that they keep a running record of those positions at all times.