Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #21
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
How's a cell phone going to make their life better? That's pretty materialistic outlook. Giving them shit in a fucking hand basket will not make their life better and has a good possibility of making their life worse.
Hold on dude, you're making some assumptions here. The largest being that my kid doesn't work his ass off for everything he gets. He may only be 6 but you better believe he sweats when he does chores, yard-work, or whatever I tell him to do. No, I'm not kidding, everyone pulls their weight in this home.

Aside from that, a cell phone isn't just a material object it is a connection to the entire world from wherever you are. Personally, NOT being able to get in touch with someone got me in some fucked up situations as a kid...try 16 years old in a tricked out car with rims and completely LOST in East St. Louis. Or jumping a half-pipe with friends on BMX bikes and having one hit his head. I could go on forever, but you get the idea.

Safety issues aside, cell phones and part of our fabric now. There was a time when people were saying that kids didn't need electricity because it wasn't around when they were young. From my POV having a cell phone is as essential to my daily life as a wallet. When he's old enough to start going places on his own or with friends then he can earn a phone.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #22
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Hold on dude, you're making some assumptions here. The largest being that my kid doesn't work his ass off for everything he gets. He may only be 6 but you better believe he sweats when he does chores, yard-work, or whatever I tell him to do. No, I'm not kidding, everyone pulls their weight in this home.

Aside from that, a cell phone isn't just a material object it is a connection to the entire world from wherever you are. Personally, NOT being able to get in touch with someone got me in some fucked up situations as a kid...try 16 years old in a tricked out car with rims and completely LOST in East St. Louis. Or jumping a half-pipe with friends on BMX bikes and having one hit his head. I could go on forever, but you get the idea.

Safety issues aside, cell phones and part of our fabric now. There was a time when people were saying that kids didn't need electricity because it wasn't around when they were young. From my POV having a cell phone is as essential to my daily life as a wallet. When he's old enough to start going places on his own or with friends then he can earn a phone.
A 6 year old kid doesn't need a cell phone, period.

I didn't grow up with a cell phone either and managed to survive so of the shit I got myself into. A cell phone is a material object.

A cell phone isn't essential to the daily life of a child. Kids and Adults still don't "need" electricity. It's a luxury.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #23
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
A 6 year old kid doesn't need a cell phone, period.

I didn't grow up with a cell phone either and managed to survive so of the shit I got myself into. A cell phone is a material object.

A cell phone isn't essential to the daily life of a child. Kids and Adults still don't "need" electricity. It's a luxury.
Jesus Christ you're right. Think of how much money I'll be able to save without paying the electric bill. I won't have to redeem our Six Flags season passes either, since a kid can survive without rollercoasters. Guess I can also check birthdays, Christmas, sleep-overs, camping, shooting, wrestling and remote controlled helicopters off the list too. Dude, you're going to make me a fortune.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

You know what? I've been accused of creating materialistic children. I was accused of this by their step-mother. I asked her the same question Josh just did. I have teenagers - and while it's not a NEED to have a cell phone, it's really fucking cool to have a cell phone. So, you know what? For the small price to pay, my kids will have a cell phone. Not only is it cool - but I can get hold of them at any time I need to.

They still know that when I say "Be home by dark" that means, when the street lights come on... it's DARK out, and they better be home. OR, they call first.

I believe in giving them some space. Because I DO trust them, they have earned it. Maybe it's a bit of - here, have some rope that I hope you won't hang yourself with. But, I'd rather do that than put them in a bubble.

You're right though, no six year old needs a cell phone. Mine didn't have phones until they were in middle school... my youngest just got one and she's 12. I use allowances on her, she has an unlimitted profile but I set limits to when and how much she can use. By doing that, even if she is over her limit she can ALWAYS call myself or my husband.

I once looked at my 15-year-old's text messages. Not only did I feel horrible for spying without cause, I thought my head would explode. Do you know what they text all day?? NOTHING. Absolutely nothing that would lead to anything more than "What are you doing? - nothing - Idk - Hi - what?"

Don't look... you don't want to.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #25
Rider
Moto GP Star

My 13yo son has a cell phone but we have placed a lot of restrictions on it. He can't use the phone during dinner. When he goes to bed ever night his phone must be in the kitchen on the charger. Family time comes first. If we are having family time, his phone gets turned off and put away. His school doesn't allow cell phone usage during school hours so he leaves it in his locker all day. All users in his address book must be approved by us and we randomly browse his history. We also take his phone away if he is acting like an ass.

Now does he need a phone, no but it has been convenient on numerous occasions when he is at the skateboard park, football practice, the movie theater, or at a friends house. He can also reach me any time he wants to just bs if he wants to, which he does often. So the bottom line is for now I don't see this application helping us in our situation. The driver protector does but I won't have to worry about that for 3 more years.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #26
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Jesus Christ you're right. Think of how much money I'll be able to save without paying the electric bill. I won't have to redeem our Six Flags season passes either, since a kid can survive without rollercoasters. Guess I can also check birthdays, Christmas, sleep-overs, camping, shooting, wrestling and remote controlled helicopters off the list too. Dude, you're going to make me a fortune.
So basically you are saying you are a pussy and couldn't survive without electricity or christmas. Sucks for you.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #27
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
So basically you are saying you are a pussy and couldn't survive without electricity or christmas. Sucks for you.
Oh I think I have enough guns and outdoors know-how to survive just fine.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #28
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
All users in his address book must be approved by us and we randomly browse his history.
Just curious, how do you decide who to approve, seeing as how you only know his current friends, not any new ones he makes?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #29
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Just curious, how do you decide who to approve, seeing as how you only know his current friends, not any new ones he makes?
Family and friends we know and we know all of his friends or potential friends. I know all the kinds at his middle school. Now if he meets someone outside of school that's another story but he isn't the type of kid to become friends strangers. He is on the shy side.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #30
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Oh I think I have enough guns and outdoors know-how to survive just fine.
no guns, that's too modern. You only get a stick and a rock to sharpen the stick. It's not a very sturdy stick either, you my be able to stab a leaf with it.
Quote: