Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 01-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #21
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

And if this article is true, that US growers' share of the US pot market has increased to 50%, it doesn't seem unaffordable to me. Seems like people have plenty of choices other than Mexican.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100603847.html

Last edited by Homeslice; 01-10-2010 at 03:07 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #22
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Ok Touche' suppose they got their figures from their tax returns...I think I need more definitive numbers than what someone posted on the internetz...

Anyways legalizing it wouldnt stop Mexican production, they still work cheaper than US farmers...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #23
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
True.

Yet most American drug users don't bother fighting for change. Lazy fucks.
The problem is it's usually drug users who do fight for change. The non-drug users rarely fight for it because we don't care. If the non-drug users fought for legalization then politicians would take notice. But in a recent speech class at my school the stoner of the class did a presentation on legalizing pot and it was such a shitty presentation. "Like, uh, pot should be legal because studies (source: High Times) show that it can cure everything, and like it's good for your immune system..." and gave examples that didn't matter to a lot of people.

But this is a great example of why drugs (not just pot) should be legalized. If marijuana or even cocain where legalized, overnight you'd have Winston buying more land to grow pot and pfizer building new state of the art factories and distribution centers to sell their cocaine. And I now we have all these conspiracy theories about evil private buisness owners are out to rule the world but I trust some MIT chemist and Harvard MBA much better than I trust Paco.

The Mexican drug lords will find something else (like prostitution and weapons) but free those up and they'll have to find another career at McDonalds where they can cap some nugget theives.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #24
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
And if this article is true, that US growers' share of pot sales has increased to 50%, it doesn't seem unaffordable to me. Seems like people have plenty of choices other than Mexican.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100603847.html
california medical and home grown are 4-5 times more expensive than mexican weed. for a lot of people, its not affordable.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #25
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Ok Touche' suppose they got their figures from their tax returns...I think I need more definitive numbers than what someone posted on the internetz...
You don't even need the internetz, all you need is to think about it for a minute. Mexico doesn't produce cocaine, the cartels have to buy it from Columbia and other places. That cuts into their profit. They do however produce their own weed. Thus the profit margin is a lot higher.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #26
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
california medical and home grown are 4-5 times more expensive than mexican weed. for a lot of people, its not affordable.
Still, nobody is forcing them to smoke.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #27
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

That makes sense. I know they sell more of that product and at a higher profit so yeah. But the other stuff is so much more expensive you'd think it would outweigh it.

I just dont trust the drug czars numbers, you know or the Mexican govts. They all have an angle to play. Bush had WMDs, Gore invented the 'net and proved gobal warming...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #28
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Now some of this I agree with. However, to blame some 21 year old kid who's buying schwag for $60 an oz for helping to finance terrorism or drug cartel murders is too far out there IMO. The current generation and last few had nothing to do with America's War on Drugs. And despite millions and millions of dollars (privately donated BTW) being donated in an effort to repeal said laws Fed Gov. has barely budged an inch. In fact, it had gotten steadily worse up until this year. At this point its an ego thing and a refusal to admit wrong doing and thousands of needlessly destroyed families and lives.

The mentality that you can put a guilty label on someone because they've broken an asinine law does not sit well with me. Yes, I understand the dictionary definition of the word guilty, however to label perpetrators of certain crimes as guilty carries a negative connotation despite the fact that the "guilty" party may have actually done nothing wrong.

Then you can take it down to a level of, "Is breaking any law always wrong." If you say yes then IMO that is a sign of your total submission to a corrupt and unjust government and system. You are saying that in order to be morally correct one must always follow the written laws of their society no matter the law or situation. You're granting corrupt and out of touch law makers a tremendous amount of power. But if you say no then you are acknowledging that it should be the population that has the power to overrule governmental tyranny and in the case of those that use illegal narcotics, oppression.

I believe we have one life to live and I'm not going to spend mine writing letters to Congressional aides hoping the government will allow me to do what I want at some point before I die. Sure, I'll debate it on the internet with you because other people's POV is interesting to me and I live to argue. However the illusion that I, at this point, can make some sort of difference is not something I share.
I have never said "breaking any law is wrong"........I break traffic laws dozens of times every day. All I was saying was, if you break the law, you can't claim ignorance of it if you're caught.

The act of smoking itself isn't morally wrong.........Morally wrong = something that hurts others.......And that's my beef about buying Mexican weed. If you want to smoke, then buy domestic. Does it cost more, I guess so......But it would be with a clearer conscience.

As far as the laws go, nothing is going to happen unless people step up and declare that those laws are wrong. The speed limit isn't 55 anymore, is it? People successfully changed it. Alcohol isn't prohibited anymore is it? People successfully changed it.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #29
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Alcohol isn't prohibited anymore is it? People successfully changed it.
It took a lot of people dying (especially law enforcement) to get that changed.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #30
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
It took a lot of people dying (especially law enforcement) to get that changed.
Exactly, and as the violence intensifies the debate to legalize grows. Sad that it has to work that way, but that's how it is.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote