Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 11-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #21
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
our driveway has a good amount of incline, so if we park outside the garage we always always e-brake it. trying to get visitors to do it is a diff story. and it's obvious enough when parking you'd notice the incline.
Not to mention using the cable stops it from sticking and snapping.

My gf never uses hers and laughs that I use mine all the time. That is until hers snapped the one time she used it. She's a convert now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
This sentence is funny.
Your wedge or mine??
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #22
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
1. If they have to use all of their strength, then there is something messed up there.. Hard to say what the cause is though.
It's because they put it into Park and then took their foot off the brake, allowing the transmission to "catch" the car ....... instead of pulling the parking brake first, like they should.

Quote:
I can honestly say I've never know anybody who has had motor mounts fail. I know of people who have had cab mounts fail on pickup trucks, but I've never experience a motor mount failure.
It's pretty common on Ford Probes and Mazda 626 --- It's a transverse-mounted engine, so it rocks back and forth with every application of the gas......There are 5 mounts on it, but the rear one on the firewall is the first to go because it wasn't designed very well.

Last edited by Homeslice; 11-11-2009 at 10:55 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #23
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
It's because they put it into Park and then took their foot off the brake, allowing the transmission to "catch" the car ....... instead of pulling the parking brake first, like they should.

right then when putting it into drive, you can hear it grinding, esp on heavier veh. minivans/suvs, i don't even like doing that on our small cars.

and we've gotten in the habit of doing it all over, and our cars are both autos.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #24
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Not my car? I don't care. I don't buy used vehicles.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #25
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I've always used my e-brake.

I learned on an Auto but have been driving stick since I was 21 so it's just a given.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #26
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Not to mention using the cable stops it from sticking and snapping.

My gf never uses hers and laughs that I use mine all the time. That is until hers snapped the one time she used it. She's a convert now.

Your wedge or mine??
I always used mine, but I am guessing the previous owner did not, cause mine broke less than a year after buying the car.

Now I just put it in Park when parked on a hill. If I had known it would piss off Homeslice, I would have filmed it and posted it on Youtube for him.

BTW, I also slide from reverse to Drive when backing up. Auto trannys are run by a fluid coupling, meaning that hard parts do not touch eachother. There is no extra wear from doing this.

Quote:
It's pretty common on Ford Probes and Mazda 626 --- It's a transverse-mounted engine, so it rocks back and forth with every application of the gas......There are 5 mounts on it, but the rear one on the firewall is the first to go because it wasn't designed very well.
I would bet the heat from the exhaust would have something to do with it too.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #27
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
I always used mine, but I am guessing the previous owner did not, cause mine broke less than a year after buying the car...
Why not just fix it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
BTW, I also slide from reverse to Drive when backing up. Auto trannys are run by a fluid coupling, meaning that hard parts do not touch eachother. There is no extra wear from doing this..
Eh, I'll believe it causes no extra wear to the drivetrain if I see some kind of authoritative article saying so. Until then I'll continue to treat my shit with care.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #28
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Like people who refuse to recycle even though it doesn't take any more effort to put something in the recycle bin than it does to put it in the trash bin.
What if you're in my town and there are no recycling bins? It does take me more effort because if I choose to recycle, I have to bag shit up seperately, then take it to a recycling center across town, rather than just throwing it in a trash can and setting it out by the street.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #29
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Why the fluck does your town not have recycling?
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #30
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Why the fluck does your town not have recycling?
I would be willing to bet Tdot doesn't either. At least not for the whole week.

Here Recycling is done for the early parts of the week, but if your garbage is collected in the last half of the week, it is just dumped on the same garbage pile as the other garbage, due to costs.

Quote:
Why not just fix it?
why waste the money? I don't live in San Fran, and with an auto tranny the only thing it is good for is ebrake turns.