Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #21
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Congratulations. I live in the northwest part of Denver and Englewood is south of Denver, so I'm not real familiar with the area.

Here's the bad part: The drop in house prices across the nation didn't hit here. House prices and rents are still high. Engines run rich at high altitude, so we have pollution. The traffic at rush hours suck. The climate can be terrific or incredibly shitty, but most of the time it's great.

The good: It is an outdoor enthusiast's dream. The skiing, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, climbing, 4-wheeling, biking, and rafting are close by, and world-class. Oh, and the motorcycling? Some of the steepest and curviest roads are minutes away. And there's tons of 'em. There's a drag strip and brand-new track, and dirt bike trails and a dirt track are also close.

And whatever you're into, there are tons of young people (I'm the oldest on my block), a great variety of music, clubs, sports, gambling, and entertainment. Do it.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #22
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

You better be packing right now.

I'm jealous.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #23
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Moto: 2004 CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Congratulations. I live in the northwest part of Denver and Englewood is south of Denver, so I'm not real familiar with the area.

Here's the bad part: The drop in house prices across the nation didn't hit here. House prices and rents are still high. Engines run rich at high altitude, so we have pollution. The traffic at rush hours suck. The climate can be terrific or incredibly shitty, but most of the time it's great.

The good: It is an outdoor enthusiast's dream. The skiing, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, climbing, 4-wheeling, biking, and rafting are close by, and world-class. Oh, and the motorcycling? Some of the steepest and curviest roads are minutes away. And there's tons of 'em. There's a drag strip and brand-new track, and dirt bike trails and a dirt track are also close.

And whatever you're into, there are tons of young people (I'm the oldest on my block), a great variety of music, clubs, sports, gambling, and entertainment. Do it.
Wow... thanks for all the great info! Definitely sounds like an awesome place to live, and you're not the first I've heard this from

You wouldn't happen to have a room for rent, would ya?? LOL Or know anybody that does?

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 253,500 miles and counting
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 435,200 miles still going strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #24
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Moto: 2004 CBR 600 F4i

Well.... the plot thickens!

I got another phone call today from another Ford place in Asheville, North Carolina. They want me to come out there and start at the brand spankin' new facility they're building now. I'm gonna do a phone interview probably tomorrow evening. Gonna talk some numbers, then call the place back in Denver and see what they say, and pretty much just go with whoever has the better offer.

Kinda cool though, I've got 2 solid opportunities now, and both are in places I'd love to live in (Asheville is beautiful too! And right in the heart of the mountains). So either decision I make, whether it be Denver or Asheville, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy wherever I end up. Can't argue with that I guess! I do know that Asheville is a hell of a lot shorter move (3 hrs from my house, vs 1500 miles to Denver). But like I said above, both are still possibilities and I'll just go with whoever has the best offer, with cost of living figured in of course. Gonna try and get them to help out with relocating too

Wish me luck... we'll see what happens!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and information... I really do appreciate it! Definitely helped me out alot!

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 253,500 miles and counting
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 435,200 miles still going strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #25
Looni2ns
Crazy Lady Rider

Moto: '05 SV650S "Baby", '00 Bandit 600S "Rita", '87 EX500 (track)

Wow, two opportunities so close together. Someone's throwing a challenge your way. ;-)

Asheville wouldn't be a bad deal. I'm just suspect of any auto dealer building a new facility when everyone else in town is shutting their doors.

Got to admit, the Denver deal seems exciting. Love Denver. It's a great town. And the mountains are less than an hour away. Just remember that living expenses are going to be higher, and that includes vehicle tags. After moving to Littleton from TX, and having 2 cars, my sister almost gagged when she went to change the tags. Close to $1,000 just for tags. So, be prepared.

Keep us posted!!
Looni2ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #26
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenlxi View Post
Well.... the plot thickens!

I got another phone call today from another Ford place in Asheville, North Carolina. They want me to come out there and start at the brand spankin' new facility they're building now. I'm gonna do a phone interview probably tomorrow evening. Gonna talk some numbers, then call the place back in Denver and see what they say, and pretty much just go with whoever has the better offer.

Kinda cool though, I've got 2 solid opportunities now, and both are in places I'd love to live in (Asheville is beautiful too! And right in the heart of the mountains). So either decision I make, whether it be Denver or Asheville, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy wherever I end up. Can't argue with that I guess! I do know that Asheville is a hell of a lot shorter move (3 hrs from my house, vs 1500 miles to Denver). But like I said above, both are still possibilities and I'll just go with whoever has the best offer, with cost of living figured in of course. Gonna try and get them to help out with relocating too

Wish me luck... we'll see what happens!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and information... I really do appreciate it! Definitely helped me out alot!
Just be careful about which job you pick. If you decide on a place that pays relocation costs and you end up hating the job, if you quit before your 1 year anniversary, you will be forced to pay back all relocation cost. Just be sure you're going to like the job before you move.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #27
buzzcutt2
Fuzznutz

Moto: 98 ZX9

Congrats man...either one sounds great, just make sure you get a place large enough for visitors.
buzzcutt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #28
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Both places are near mountains, but one place is humid.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #29
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Use the cost of living calculators and Google the shit out of things that you know will be your main expenses... Just because one place offers significantly more money, doesn't necessarily mean that you will end up in a better financial situation.

If it weren't for my significant increases in bonuses, my relocation to FL from OH would have been a shitarded move despite a 20% increase in base salary.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #30
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Use the cost of living calculators and Google the shit out of things that you know will be your main expenses... Just because one place offers significantly more money, doesn't necessarily mean that you will end up in a better financial situation.

If it weren't for my significant increases in bonuses, my relocation to FL from OH would have been a shitarded move despite a 20% increase in base salary.
I was about to say that. My buddy's dad's friend ran a GM sub-contract plant here in Georgia making close to 90k. He got an offer to work I think the SSR plant in Michigan and got a 6digit offer and when he got there he said everything went to shit and felt like he was making only 40k in Georgia because of the cost of living. Plus he had to deal with hardcore UAW workers which drove him nuts.

It'd be awesome to live in Colorado for atleast a few years. I'd just hate the cold ass weather so I couldn't see myself living there forever.