Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #21
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
I haven't tried Redbox but have seen them and thought about using them but I do like BluRay so that hinders that.
is a dedicated blu ray disc output better then an upconverted reg. DVD ?
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #22
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Maybe only slightly but YES I think so.

I admit I'm fairly new to the HD and Blu Ray stuff but there is a difference.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #23
Rider
Moto GP Star

Can you tell the difference between blu-ray and regular DVD on a 720P TV? Blu-ray is supposed to be 1080P but if you don't have a 1080P TV, are you going to notice?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #24
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Can you tell the difference between blu-ray and regular DVD on a 720P TV? Blu-ray is supposed to be 1080P but if you don't have a 1080P TV, are you going to notice?
I have 1080P so hopefully some of the experts will chime in and clear all of this up.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #25
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
We use Netflix. 2 at a time with unlimited streaming.

We usually get our movies within 2 days. Send them in on Monday, and have 2 new ones on Wednesday. I'm very happy with the service.
Ditto. NetFlix customer service is awesome, too.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #26
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Drop blockbuster and bump netflix up to 2 at a time. Send the movies back on different days and you are rarely left without a movie to watch.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #27
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
I've used Netflix for a few months and so far so good. Really fast turn around considering it's by mail...just have to plan ahead and are SOL if you want to watch something on the spur of the moment.

Blockbuster is my backup plan.

I haven't tried Redbox but have seen them and thought about using them but I do like BluRay so that hinders that.

This!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Well, I'd imagine it's like the difference between chocolate and whipped chocolate. They both occupy the same space but the actual chocolate is much denser and satisfying. It's like the difference between blowing up a 2meg picture to 8X10 and blowing up a 5meg picture to 8X10.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #29
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Drop blockbuster and bump netflix up to 2 at a time. Send the movies back on different days and you are rarely left without a movie to watch.
Yep, I'm with you guys! I'm in another window canceling BB right now! I just got all of the HD movie channels and HBO for free from Suddenlink a couple hours ago so I'll stick with one at a time and unlimited streaming for now and see how that goes.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #30
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Well, I'd imagine it's like the difference between chocolate and whipped chocolate. They both occupy the same space but the actual chocolate is much denser and satisfying. It's like the difference between blowing up a 2meg picture to 8X10 and blowing up a 5meg picture to 8X10.
This article seems to agree with what you said.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6859904-1.html

2. Can an upconverting DVD player really make a DVD movie look like a Blu-ray movie?
No. Compare a DVD to a Blu-ray movie on a TV that's 32 inches or smaller and the differences aren't huge. However, it's pretty easy to tell the two apart when you're watching on a larger set.

The basic issue is that the maximum resolution of DVD is 720x480 while Blu-ray is 1,920x1,080. The Blu-ray image is much larger and made up of more information than the DVD image, which is one reason your typical full-length high-definition movie just doesn't fit on a DVD disc and requires at least double or triple the storage space (some space is taken up by the audio).

I sometimes tell people it's similar to megapixels on a camera. If you take a picture that was shot on camera with a low-megapixel count (3 or 4 megapixels) and try to blow up (aka scale) the image to print out at 8x10 or larger, the resulting print can look soft or even fuzzy, no matter what sharpening tools you're using in Photoshop. (In fact, sometimes the sharpeners make the image look worse.)

We recently set up the highly rated Samsung PN50A550 50-inch plasma next to a Panasonic TH-46PZ80U 46-inch plasma and our Editors' Choice Pioneer PDP-5080HD 50-inch plasma. We hooked up a top-notch $400 Oppo DV-983H upconverting DVD player to the Samsung and had our PlayStation 3 Blu-ray player outputting video to the other two sets. For the test, we used the DVD and Blu-ray versions of Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl and synced them on the TVs so they were virtually on the same frame.
TalkBack
Do you think upconverting DVD players are overhyped?
Post your comment here

While the DVD version looked great for a DVD, it didn't measure up to the Blu-ray version. The Blu-ray exhibited significantly more detail and better color-saturation. In close-ups of character's faces, the differences in detail level and sharpness are smaller, but when you get into any scenes involving big depths of field (such as wide shots with sweeping backgrounds), the DVD images appear soft and less three-dimensional by comparison.

Obviously, as you increase your screen size, the differences will seem even more noticeable. Go to a 58- or 61-inch plasma--or a front projector that takes you into the 100-inch range--and you'll quickly realize having a high-definition source (Blu-ray) is essential if you're a stickler for image quality.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote