Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I took that to mean 2 cars worth a TOTAL of $45,000. Especially since they said they're spending $12,400 per year on those cars, which wouldn't be enough to cover a $90,000 loan plus all the insurance and maintenance.

As for this: "About 18 percent of disposable income, on average, goes toward mortgage payments, auto loans, credit cards and other forms of household debt. "...........I am calling on that, it's got to be a lot higher.
Yeah, I didn't see that until you pointed it out.

It says "with a new car value of $45k". Does that mean that these "middle classers" are driving two cars that could be replaced new for @ $22k each?

Most middle class people I know have at least one car that is over $35k new and I don't know of many $10k cars to be had.

Fuzzy writing. Either way I think the general consesus is that your typical American household spends too much ans saves too little.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #22
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Yeah, I didn't see that until you pointed it out.

It says "with a new car value of $45k". Does that mean that these "middle classers" are driving two cars that could be replaced new for @ $22k each?

Most middle class people I know have at least one car that is over $35k new and I don't know of many $10k cars to be had.

Fuzzy writing. Either way I think the general consesus is that your typical American household spends too much ans saves too little.
I think quoting the new car value is misleading.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #23
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Most married riders I know, who are in their late 20's or early 30's.......Based on their occupations I'm gonna guess they pull down $120-150K between the two of them.........And in addition to a bike they typically have 2 vehicles, a truck and a car, like a Titan and an Acura TL........Not $45K rides. I guess if they lived in the Midwest things would be different since they wouldn't have a $400K mortgage.

Last edited by Homeslice; 03-26-2010 at 03:30 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #24
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Most married riders I know, who are in their late 20's or early 30's.......Based on their occupations I'm gonna guess they pull down $120-150K between the two of them.........And in addition to a bike they typically have 2 vehicles, a truck and a car, like a Titan and an Acura TL........Not $45K rides. I guess if they lived in the Midwest things would be different since they wouldn't have a $400K mortgage.
Many, many, people have $400K+ in the mid west. I live in a poor neighborhood and that's where my house is valued at.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #25
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Many, many, people have $400K+ in the mid west. I live in a poor neighborhood and that's where my house is valued at.
Of course, but I was talking about riders.....Who are 28-35 on average. And people in that age group typically don't buy large homes, especially if they don't have kids yet.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #26
shmike
Follower

Quote:
You make it seem like a $45k ride is unheard of. This isn't 1992.

A nicely equipped TL prices out right at $44k.

A loaded Titan just under that.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #27
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I know. I was shopping pretty serious and anything full size and remotely equipped is 30K no kidding. Sure you can get by with less and I will have to, but you have to work hard to finance a decent ride down in the 21-25K range...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #28
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
You make it seem like a $45k ride is unheard of. This isn't 1992.

A nicely equipped TL prices out right at $44k.

A loaded Titan just under that.
If so, then that's a ripoff for what you get. A TL isn't worth as much as a 335 imo.

In any case, the cars I mentioned are on the higher end of what I see being owned by fellow riders. I know only 2 riders whose cars are more expensive than that.

I'd say the average is a 3-year old Tacoma and a 3-year old Altima or WRX (with 18-inch rims and a few mods of course, but nevertheless......)

This, for couples who pull down substantially more than the $81K cited in the article.

Last edited by Homeslice; 03-26-2010 at 04:13 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #29
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I know. I was shopping pretty serious and anything full size and remotely equipped is 30K no kidding. Sure you can get by with less and I will have to, but you have to work hard to finance a decent ride down in the 21-25K range...
VW GTI starts in that range
Old 03-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #30
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
In that price range I would go Mazdaspeed3, but I think you are talking about full size trucks. I agree that have to get a pretty stripped down model to come in under $25k.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote