Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #21
Rider
Moto GP Star

I don't know why they make it so difficult. There should be a standard amount it costs to raise a child. If one parent has full custody then then the other parent pays 50% of the standard amount. If custody is split 50/50, then no child support should have to be paid by either half. It isn't rocket science but I guess if it was that easy there would be a lot of attorneys out of business.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #22
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I think that sometimes one parent or the other only wants the child 50% of the time so that they don't have to pay child support. I personally think that both parents, unless there is a safety concern, should have equal time with the kids, and if the parent with primary custody is unwilling to let the other parent see the kid, then they shouldn't have rights to any more $ either. The person getting hurt the most is the child in these situations. Even talking the other parent down wears on a child and causes real issues. Hate your x if you want, but keep it away from the kid.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #23
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
If custody is split 50/50, then no child support should have to be paid by either half.
In my state even if you share custody 50/50 the parent with the lower income can apply for child support from the other parent.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #24
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I'm curious, what do y'all determine 50/50? And, who takes care of school enrollments, extra-curricular fees, clothing, school meal accounts, etc? Don't tell me the parents would communicate and split those evenly - that doesn't happen when married

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #25
Cory
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I'm curious, what do y'all determine 50/50? And, who takes care of school enrollments, extra-curricular fees, clothing, school meal accounts, etc? Don't tell me the parents would communicate and split those evenly - that doesn't happen when married
Seriously! How the hell do you split a 12 yr old 50/50? I can see when they are babies and not in school etc.

MI courts blow. My Mom still owes my Dad around $25,000 from when I was a little.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #26
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

I have joint legal, which means all decisions regarding the child's health, welfare or education must be approved by both parents. Thats a joke, I have been fighting for six years to get my kids in school and not home-schooled, and my son a specialized Autistic program. The courts wont hold her in contempt, say they dont have funds to enforce anything and now they are telling me that I complain too much. I saw my kids for a week last year for the first time since 2007. Idont want my kids 50/50, I want my kids full time, so they get the schooling they need and the love they deserve. My kids have no friends, no social interaction with other kids and are so far behind on education I cant explain. In michigan, unless you can prove the mother unfit, she automatically gets the children and the support is beyond what a person needs to raise a child. I pay almost $600 for my kids to a working woman, married to a concrete contractor who owns his own buisness and pays her under the table. The kids spend days and all weekends with her parents and I pay for that because they claim to be daycare providers .My kids are 13 and 9. The system is full of men like me, who get pushed aside and told to take what we get and smile. I have been fighting for six years to be heard, I wrote senators, congressmen and even sent letters to D.C. with no response worth writing. Sorry about the long rant, it kinda feels good to share this stuff. Oh, the worst of all...my kids dont call me Dad anymore.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!

Last edited by TommyHotWheel; 03-10-2010 at 12:48 PM..
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #27
Cory
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
In my state even if you share custody 50/50 the parent with the lower income can apply for child support from the other parent.
That is
Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #28
Cory
Kneedragger

wow Tommy, that is just awful

I know the only reason my Dad was awarded custody of all of us was because my Mom flat out did not show up to any of the hearings. They didn't care what he had to say. Back in the 80's giving a father full custody was unheard of.

My brother is fighting for custody of his son right now because his whore of an ex gf is an abusive drunk. Never to his son (yet) but she would go out, party all night, come home shit faced and beat the shit out of him and break stuff around the house until she passed out. And no matter what the police reports say or how much $$ he throws at his lawyer he is never really HEARD in court.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #29
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Zoomm in my case I pay for everything while I have him. I don't ask my ex for any $$ to contribute during my time with him. So far he is doing the same. I am however keeping a list and receipts of everything I spend $$ on in case he comes to me asking me for money though..

I will not ask him for anything.

My ex was adament about clothing not being mixed so when my son gets to my house he takes off 'his dad's' clothes and I put them aside. I am dilligent about keeping up with things, be it power cords to toys or whatever. I just wish he would the same. He is the one that made the big deal about it yet I constantly have to remind him to return things. So rude.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #30
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Seriously! How the hell do you split a 12 yr old 50/50? I can see when they are babies and not in school etc.

MI courts blow. My Mom still owes my Dad around $25,000 from when I was a little.
Hell, when my father booked he tried to stick my mother with a $40K personal loan that he forged my mother's signature on. He was the manager of the bank branch that the loan was domiciled in and he was screwing one of the loan officers. It gets pretty scary when you're 15 years old and are already down to one pair of pants, then learn that what's left of the family is down what, at that time, was damned near the cost of a house with nothing to show for it.

I'll be on Oprah next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I don't know why they make it so difficult. There should be a standard amount it costs to raise a child. If one parent has full custody then then the other parent pays 50% of the standard amount. If custody is split 50/50, then no child support should have to be paid by either half. It isn't rocket science but I guess if it was that easy there would be a lot of attorneys out of business.
That would be all well and good if everyone made $X per year and raising a kid cost $0.2X, but that way lies communism

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote