Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #21
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
They say that education is more important than being in shape and the kids need more time to devote to learning. Well, it is but you have to have a balance.
That's what I don't get, how is "education" more important than being in good physical shape? Being in good physical shape dictates how we do everything else, including learning.

Besides, if you've seen the drivel that they've been "teaching" in public school over the past few years then you kinda start thinking maybe the education isn't that important anyway. Personally, I'd rather you make my kid run laps, skate, hit a baseball or catch a pass for two hours than sitting him there prepping him for yet another standardized test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Remember the days when it was considered awesome to hold the record for most pull ups, or push ups, or be the fastest runner on the playground?

THATS what kids are missing!
Completely agree with that.
________
PRILOSEC ATTORNEYS

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:06 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #22
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Remember the days when it was considered awesome to hold the record for most pull ups, or push ups, or be the fastest runner on the playground?

That's right, competitiveness is going out the window. We are teaching our kids that mediocrity is ok.

Don't even get me started on "participation" trophies and not keeping score.... That's an entirely different rant.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #23
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

man I remember Track & Field day at the end of the school year. We loved that, trying to beat the records every year and being outside all day doing all sorts of stuff, high jump, long jump, relay's....etc..

We'd get like 40 minutes for recess after lunch in elementary and I swear we RAN the entire time.....

Hell I remember being entertained jumping rope for an hour as a kid.
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #24
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
That's right, competitiveness is going out the window. We are teaching our kids that mediocrity is ok.

Don't even get me started on "participation" trophies and not keeping score.... That's an entirely different rant.
I admit, I am not competitive, but as a child I was very proud of my physical acheivements and I totally agree with you. Go ahead, recognize everyone, give them all a trophy, but reward those who excelled as well!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #25
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:

We can make a whole other thread out of that. been on some good and bad teams as a kid and was on both ends of some lopsided scores. Fortunatley I had good coaches so we would get ready fo rthe next game and do better than the last time. I caqnt stand this everyone wins stuff.

I can dig up tons of journal articles about this growing problem and the impact it will have on healthcare in the next few years. Now I would like to see what kind of rhetoric obama will spew about that problem and how he wont adress it.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #26
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:

Now theyre worried about the kids who arent good at it then start listening to emo then grow up and shoot up the school because no one liked them.

maybe it was just me but I always worked harder to try to get to be one of those guys or be beter at baseball and football.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #27
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I think this shit they're teaching, bluntly put, is stupid SHIT. in FL, pretty much EVERYTHING is centered around the fucking FCAT test, which means nobody is learning, they're just preparing for a worthless test yearly.

then nobody is really getting any PE time doing exercise, they opt out and dont dress out or spend most of the time sittng on their asses on the side of the basketball court socializing rather than actually being active. face it, kids NEED activity and motivation. you parents know this. I really respect those of you who actually get your kid to exercise and not just play video games all day.

hell, as a kid, from 8 years old til the time I hit 19, I wouldnt sit still. I was ALWAYS out mowing the lawn, working on some project, running around, something. I cant stand the inactivity schools give you, its fucking worthless. I looked forward to the classes where I was gonna spend the second half of my day on my feet helping the janitors clean. it was constant activity and exercise, and I loved it.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #28
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

It could be worse. They haven't started using that "Free to be You and Me" crap again, have they?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #29
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

ok allow me to jump in with the devil's advocate outlook. if other peoples kids are fat and yours arent, your kids have that much better opportunitys for popularity, success, future mates, etc. fat little shits might even have heart attacks before they hit social security age
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #30
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
ok allow me to jump in with the devil's advocate outlook. if other peoples kids are fat and yours arent, your kids have that much better opportunitys for popularity, success, future mates, etc. fat little shits might even have heart attacks before they hit social security age
That'd be ok if they weren't so fat and disgusting I found myself losing my appetite when I'm about to pay $40 for a meal with my family.
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:06 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote