Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #191
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I found an all organic meat farms... not that I'm into organic stuff, but thought it may be an easy access to farmers of chicken. Cut out the stores...

whole chickens for $3.50-$4

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #192
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Dogs are luxury items.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #193
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Dogs are luxury items.
I dont have dogs, I have kids, would this diet work good for my kids? Will they become more energetic and get whiter teeth? One is 5 the other is 10. I'm also thinking about getting them spayed and nuderred
Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #194
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Dogs are luxury items.
So are brain cells for a lot of folks I've met on a daily basis.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #195
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I'm also thinking about getting them spayed and nuderred
Yes, please...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #196
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

The best part of the whole raw diet is the lack of dog landmines everywhere.

I'll have to see what the wife paid for food today. I know they won't be eating rabbit unless they catch one. Friggen $18 a bunny !!!

So far their typical diet is for a 20 LB dog-5 ounces of meat tissue, 2 ounces organs, 8 ounces of vegetable glop X twice daily. Just multiply by 8 for a 160 LB dog.

They get a raw egg three times a week. Shell and all.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #197
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Brinks has earned himself some possible allergies. They got him on meds, shampoo, wipes, and allergy pills. It's some hair infection on his chin with a secondary yeast infection over that. He also popped positive for yeast between his toes. So those get washed daily with med shampoo. Found some info on his breed that said it could be caused by a thyroid issue. Thinking of stopping by the vet for a blood work up.

I'm thinking if this may help. End the kibble, the meds, etc... when you factor, in those vet costs, and secondary bones to chew. I bet this may be cheaper.

I'm also thinking about contacting a organic farmer about getting chickens wholesale from them. Cheaper? What you guys paying now?

Then maybe picking up a cheap small fridge/freezer for this storage. That would allow me to keep frozen and use the fridge for thawing.

Again, how much should I expect to feed a 160# dog?

Also, lay out the plan for conversion and/or any tips.
Its cheaper before you add in the meds, vet costs and bones to chew. Raw meat is cheaper than premium dog foods per lb, and certainly more healthy.

I'm paying $.59 - $.89 per lb for leg quarters and whole chickens. I buy cottage cheese and the other supplemental on sale every week. How much you have to feed Brinks depends not only on his size, but his activity level as well. Start with a half a chicken's worth a day and go from there. Pay attention to his ribs and amount of body fat. If he starts getting too skinny, feed him more.

As far as known allergies and issues like you mentioned with his thyroid, everything we know medically about dogs is based on them eating food that they can't process correctly. For example, Rottweilers are known to have hip displasia "because they're so big", however it could just as easily be degenerated hip bones, tendons and muscles from 10 years of eating shit food that causes them to be crippled.

I don't like the slow conversion because when you feed raw and kibble combined the kibble slows the digestion down and allows bacteria from the raw meat to grow. Although I have mixed them before and had no problem I prefer the cold turkey (get it) method and switched all mine over in one day.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-12-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #198
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Thanks for the info. We have discussed it before but with the new complications we are looking into the switch more in depth.

He's gg in today for a thyroid blood work. I requested it. He really hasn't had a complex adult blood work done. So we'll get that done. His thyroid test will be done at MSU.

And I plan talking to the vet about this as well. The Sr vet said in the past he likes it but most people don't stick to it. That most prefer the hassle free of kibble.

I wasn't thinking of gradual conversion but more so ideas on doing so. I thought somebody didn't feed em for 2 days before switching? I know right now he won't even consider raw chicken. How do you work around that?
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #199
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

I wasn't thinking of gradual conversion but more so ideas on doing so. I thought somebody didn't feed em for 2 days before switching? I know right now he won't even consider raw chicken. How do you work around that?
If you have a set feeding time then just put the chicken out for him at that time, give him 5 minutes or whatever and if he doesn't eat it put it back in the fridge and repeat the next day. He'll eat it eventually... My Boxer/Mastiff was pretty skeptical at first, but he came around and now gives the same reaction if you try to feed him kibble.

Maybe put some other stuff he likes in there with the chicken, or you can feed raw beef instead the first day....I bet he'll eat that.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #200
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Switch cold turkey. Your dog will love you for it. You'll love not cleaning up mountains of dog shit. My old Schnauzer's teeth are just about rid of all the plaque on them. She acts like a puppy again.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote